Sponsored

Emissions won't pass because of a possible Tune was installed and turned off the O2 sensors???

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
See that's just wrong. If I sold a car with my tune on it, I'd leave the device in the glove box at least.
Yup this. It would have the current tune, any alt tunes and then stocker. Why not leave it for the next guy?

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
You may want to call the Ford dealer to see if they are able to re-flash your car to stock because itā€™s probably the only way youā€™re going to get that Stockton back on to pass your emissions test. No they will not do it for free.
The Ford Dealership won't touch it. They said to contact Lund Racing to have then do the Stock tune.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
Can you buy a new tune and have the sensors not bypassed? Seems strange that a tune would bypass the O2s in the first place since those are critical for the engine to operate well.

In CO, the only thing they check for is that the emission systems are "ready". If PA is anything like that then a proper tune is not a problem and may be an easier solution.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks! He did not leave the tuning device with car.šŸ˜”
Did you buy this car from the private owner or a Dealership? If a Dealership, most should be selling a vehicle that will pass State emissions - especially if sold within the State they are operating. You may have a leg up by going back to the Dealership, presenting your problem and see if they will work with you to getting the car to pass.

If you bought it private party, you're going to be SOL if the person isn't willing to assist. The PO probably sold off the tuner device (if applicable to the type of tune). Most people sell off those devices to recoup some bucks... I agree the PO should have left it with the vehicle.

Ford isn't going to touch it because once the PCM or TCM parameters are messed with, it's a liability on their end if they go to reflash and brick BCM/PCM/TCM modules in the process. This is also why in the Owners Manuals and the main Ford Warranty & Policy manual available to the Franchises, it explicitly states any modification to the PCM (tunes) can result in a voided warranty. In fact, Ford released several SSM/TSB's to their Dealer Network a year or so that stated they will not do any repairs under Warranty if it's found that the As Built codes have been changed, it has a tune OR if hardware/software has been added to the vehicle that was not present when it rolled off the line (ie: 4" to 8" SYNC upgrades, other component swaps, etc).

It's unfortunate that you bought the car with a tune (knowingly or not), but as you are experiencing, it's a real problem/headache to trying to get it to pass emissions in a State where it's mandated.

Hopefully the PO will help you out if purchase privately, but if it was a Dealer purchase try that route in getting the Dealer to put out for the repairs to pass emissions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Did you buy this car from the private owner or a Dealership? If a Dealership, most should be selling a vehicle that will pass State emissions - especially if sold within the State they are operating. You may have a leg up by going back to the Dealership, presenting your problem and see if they will work with you to getting the car to pass.

If you bought it private party, you're going to be SOL if the person isn't willing to assist. The PO probably sold off the tuner device (if applicable to the type of tune). Most people sell off those devices to recoup some bucks... I agree the PO should have left it with the vehicle.

Ford isn't going to touch it because once the PCM or TCM parameters are messed with, it's a liability on their end if they go to reflash and brick BCM/PCM/TCM modules in the process. This is also why in the Owners Manuals and the main Ford Warranty & Policy manual available to the Franchises, it explicitly states any modification to the PCM (tunes) can result in a voided warranty. In fact, Ford released several SSM/TSB's to their Dealer Network a year or so that stated they will not do any repairs under Warranty if it's found that the As Built codes have been changed, it has a tune OR if hardware/software has been added to the vehicle that was not present when it rolled off the line (ie: 4" to 8" SYNC upgrades, other component swaps, etc).

It's unfortunate that you bought the car with a tune (knowingly or not), but as you are experiencing, it's a real problem/headache to trying to get it to pass emissions in a State where it's mandated.

Hopefully the PO will help you out if purchase privately, but if it was a Dealer purchase try that route in getting the Dealer to put out for the repairs to pass emissions.
I purchased from a local auto sales business. They were selling it for a family friend so I called there and talked to the owner and asked him to have the family friend call me. That was Friday, so I'm hoping he will call me this week before I really have to dive in and get this all worked out. I would have been ok but In PA emissions is exempt if the vehicle is driven under 5k miles in a year but that wasn't the case.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yup this. It would have the current tune, any alt tunes and then stocker. Why not leave it for the next guy?

Because even if you leave it with the dealer there is no guarantee they will give it to the buyer. I spoke with a dealer about the same thing when I sold my truck, they didn't care about the tune or tuner to adjust for the different tire height so I put it back to stock so the next person wouldn't have a locked ECU. Speedo was only off 2-3mph anyway so they probably wouldn't notice.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
4 crying out loud if a car dealer sold you a car with a non-state and federal compliant emissions tune they should be liable for it so make them figure it out. They donā€™t want to help you? Contact your state and federal officials and let them know Iā€™m sure the skids will be well greased by then.

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
4 crying out loud if a car dealer sold you a car with a non-state and federal compliant emissions tune they should be liable for it so make them figure it out. They donā€™t want to help you? Contact your state and federal officials and let them know Iā€™m sure the skids will be well greased by then.
That will be my next step if I don't hear from the previous owner or the auto dealer won't help.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Problem is doesn't sound like a Ford dealership but rather one of those auto resale shops you see off the frontage road of the freeway. They probably don't know or care and are simply trying to push volume of units regardless of condition / branding etc. At that point it may as well be buying from a private seller as I bet they offer little to no assurances. If it was bought from a Ford Dealership I bet they would have been more inclined to help, if for no other reason than liability.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
So the stock cats are in place?
If so just get a new tune that is properly set up and youā€™ll be fine. No reason for all this changing parts and flashing back to stockā€¦

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
So the stock cats are in place?
If so just get a new tune that is properly set up and youā€™ll be fine. No reason for all this changing parts and flashing back to stockā€¦
He said the dealer said it is a Lund tune. So this dealer has seen Lund locked ECU's before. What is lund charging now, 800 bucks for a tune and device?

If it is a Lund tune OP is stuck going through them.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
He said the dealer said it is a Lund tune. So this dealer has seen Lund locked ECU's before. What is lund charging now, 800 bucks for a tune and device?

I agree and get that he has to go through Lund but unless I missed it the OP said that there may be a tune when he failed.

He then said that the dealer said to contact Lund. How in the hell did they know it was a Lund tune? Selling for a friend they knew damn well what tune was on it and they sold it anyways. Just my take.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

Yeah I still feel there are too many assumptions being made hereā€¦
Sponsored