Emergency Spare Wheel/Tire Assy For PP1 with Brembo Brakes

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I used Car Parts dot com to look for a Equus wheel to be used as a spare for my Mustang with the PP1 Brembo brakes. Scored one off of the parts finder for $115.00 ($75.00 wheel $40.00 shipping) shipped from the East Coast to the San Francisco Bay Area. Wheel/Tire assy was delivered today and is in brand new shape! Now just have to find a machine shop to enlarge the hub bore.

When you search, I used a 2015 Equus for mine, look under wheels then select the alloy19X4 wheel size (spare)Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone considering using the Hyundai wheel. Even with the machine shop cost, it's a lot cheaper alternative to the other spare option out there.

Note: This was not my Idea. Another forum member posted it and I'm just showing how I sourced my spare wheel/tire assy and what needs to be done to the wheel to make it work for us Mustang owners. The link below is where I got the idea from.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/anyone-solve-spare-tire-issue-for-pp-gts.116400/
Sponsored

Last edited:

3onthetree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Man. W/PP
I have 19” Equus spare and had the bore enlarged to fit, but I’m having trouble finding lug nuts. This wheel takes a 12x1.5 mag style lug nut when used on the Equus, correct? Our Mustang is 14x1.5. and tried this size in mag style but they don’t fit. What did you use?

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
I have 19” Equus spare and had the bore enlarged to fit, but I’m having trouble finding lug nuts. This wheel takes a 12x1.5 mag style lug nut when used on the Equus, correct? Our Mustang is 14x1.5. and tried this size in mag style but they don’t fit. What did you use?

Actually the wheel is at the machine shop getting the bore enlarged, so I have not test fitted it yet. If the lug pockets are small, the use of the small diameter lug nuts are going to be required. They say the factory lug nuts are terrible and swell, so going aftermarket isn't such a bad thing.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-small-diameter-black-2015-2020/p/WHLLN17/

3onthetree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Man. W/PP
The 14 mm lug nut fits the wheel. The base of the lug nut is the concern...I see these have a bulge base and unfortunately will not work. Neither will conical base. The Equus wheel uses 12mm mag base lug nut. When installed, the base fills the recess between the wheel Stud and the wheel. Our Mustang is 14mm studs. The larger stud fills more area and reduces the space between the stud and the wheel so 14 mm mag nuts will not fit. I see another member used flat style lug nuts (Dorman 611-295), but they leave the recess not filled at all, so the wheel could rotate slightly on the studs.

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
The 14 mm lug nut fits the wheel. The base of the lug nut is the concern...I see these have a bulge base and unfortunately will not work. Neither will conical base. The Equus wheel uses 12mm mag base lug nut. When installed, the base fills the recess between the wheel Stud and the wheel. Our Mustang is 14mm studs. The larger stud fills more area and reduces the space between the stud and the wheel so 14 mm mag nuts will not fit. I see another member used flat style lug nuts (Dorman 611-295), but they leave the recess not filled at all, so the wheel could rotate slightly on the studs.
Nice to know about the lug nuts. For me, this is just to get me home or if far from home, to the closest tire shop. So the lug nut is not a big concern for me.

I suppose using a conical lugnut will kinda center the stud in relationship to the stud hole. The cone slightly protruding into the lug hole should semi prevent the wheel from shifting. But it's for temporary/emergency use only, so it should be good.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Actually the wheel is at the machine shop getting the bore enlarged, so I have not test fitted it yet. If the lug pockets are small, the use of the small diameter lug nuts are going to be required. They say the factory lug nuts are terrible and swell, so going aftermarket isn't such a bad thing.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-small-diameter-black-2015-2020/p/WHLLN17/
I have the same wheel and I need to get a machine shop to bore it. If you don’t mind how much are they charging you for the work? I ordered these lug nuts (but haven’t tried them yet of course)
Dorman 611-246

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
I have the same wheel and I need to get a machine shop to bore it. If you don’t mind how much are they charging you for the work? I ordered these lug nuts (but haven’t tried them yet of course)
Dorman 611-246

Just came back from picking it up at the machine shop. They charged me $40.00, machinist said that he had to remove almost 0.100 of material. I live in the greater San Francisco Bay Area, so labor rates are quite high. All in all, a lot better option than the $400.00 item out there, and I can overlook the lug issue for an emergency use item for a distance of no more than 50 miles from my place of work to home.

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Just did a test fit with the Equus wheel. Fits just fine! Went to 70.66mm like the other folks had their hubs bored out to. Makes sense, the hub bore for Mustang wheels is 70.5 per the aftermarket wheel sites.
20200220_154923.jpg

Last edited:

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just came back from picking it up at the machine shop. They charged me $40.00, machinist said that he had to remove almost 0.100 of material. I live in the greater San Francisco Bay Area, so labor rates are quite high. All in all, a lot better option than the $400.00 item out there, and I can overlook the lug issue for an emergency use item for a distance of no more than 50 miles from my place of work to home.
Wow that is a good price, I have been quoted way over that by two different places.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
OP, good idea about conical lugs. Wonder if the stud holes can be chamfered to match.
If you are going to go through the expense of getting all five bolt holes countersunk, that just adds to the overall cost. If you really want to cut a 60 degree countersink into the wheel. I did some checking, the stud hole is approx 3/4" in diameter, so you'd need a 1" head 60 degree countersink to put a slight bevel into the wheel. Cost for the countersink is around $45.00 and you would just need a 1/2" drill to do it at home.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/89330872

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
For those who are wondering what the clearance from the inner face of the wheel to the brake caliper is, see the photo below.

20200222_155128.jpg

3onthetree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Man. W/PP
.87” dia. Mag lugs I tried earlier did not fit. With the help of member George-66, I found .725” mag lugs that fit perfectly, and can be found here...
8B9F719D-D9F6-4229-89C7-E7FAC32E65DC.png

Graemecdn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2018 Lexus RC 350
I used Car Parts dot com to look for a Equus wheel to be used as a spare for my Mustang with the PP1 Brembo brakes. Scored one off of the parts finder for $115.00 ($75.00 wheel $40.00 shipping) shipped from the East Coast to the San Francisco Bay Area. Wheel/Tire assy was delivered today and is in brand new shape! Now just have to find a machine shop to enlarge the hub bore.

When you search, I used a 2015 Equus for mine, look under wheels then select the alloy19X4 wheel size (spare)Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone considering using the Hyundai wheel. Even with the machine shop cost, it's a lot cheaper alternative to the other spare option out there.
Thanks for your suggestion, I certainly will consider it.
Sponsored