Sponsored

Elegant vs. Aggressive S550 Build?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
SO I went back to post #1 . . .

Elegant - gets defined as 'pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance'. Does that agree with your intended use of the word, or are you looking for a different word with a similar but slightly different meaning? That could be the hang-up here.

I suppose undercar lighting could look 'stylish' to some, but I don't think it fits most peoples' idea of 'graceful'. Too in-your-face for that, some of which may be due to association with those 'Fast and Furious' movies.

Personally, I think the i8 is "over-styled", particularly in the lower grille, sill, and rear areas that are 'busy' for no apparent reason.

Is there any particular aspect of performance that you want your car's appearance to more directly hint at?. I realize that you're not chasing big power here.

Norm
To each his own, but I think driving around with a car with undercar lights is like driving around a strip bar on wheels.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
SO I went back to post #1 . . .

Elegant - gets defined as 'pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance'. Does that agree with your intended use of the word, or are you looking for a different word with a similar but slightly different meaning? That could be the hang-up here.

I suppose undercar lighting could look 'stylish' to some, but I don't think it fits most peoples' idea of 'graceful'. Too in-your-face for that, some of which may be due to association with those 'Fast and Furious' movies.

Personally, I think the i8 is "over-styled", particularly in the lower grille, sill, and rear areas that are 'busy' for no apparent reason.

Is there any particular aspect of performance that you want your car's appearance to more directly hint at?. I realize that you're not chasing big power here.

Norm
Hmmm, no, not really any performance directed appearance that I'm thinking of. - As I said, the max I'd ever do for power is a Drop-In like everyone said, and MAYBE, later on, give it a K&N Intake or something along those lines. (Still learning!)

Exterior wise Is what I'm looking at. - Let's see... If we have to go to "in-your-face" to achieve a more "over-styled" look, let's try it? What would you recommend?

And yeah, that is the exact definition I'm looking for. - Just unique, and not ordinary looking... I guess :eek:

Thanks for your help!

That's a very subjective thing your asking.

I personally, always liked the OEM+ philosophy but I know that my build will get much more aggressive as I get faster on-track.

Take a look at my build thread and let me know if you have any questions.
_MG_4944.jpg
_MG_4917.jpg
I really do love that! - I love the accent the lip gives the car (the red).

@Norm, those pictures are nice! - but I'd be looking for a little more "pop" for my view of it.
|

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Whatever you choose, do NOT put under-body lighting. Beyond cheesy.

Start with lowering springs. Either proper offset wheels or spacers if you don't have the coin for new wheels and tires. Tint the windows.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hmmm, no, not really any performance directed appearance that I'm thinking of. - As I said, the max I'd ever do for power is a Drop-In like everyone said, and MAYBE, later on, give it a K&N Intake or something along those lines. (Still learning!)
Process of elimination approach - not much sense chasing a drag-racing look with, say, outrageously staggered wheel and tire sizes when you're keeping the engine basically stock and it doesn't sound like a V8 to begin with.

But you could emphasize the EB's better balance between straight-line running and corner-carving with some fairly subtle changes.

Those are the kinds of things I'm getting at with the idea of working to some overall theme. Randomly doing a little of this and a little of that is likely to end up being a build that lacks a sense of direction.

And yeah, that is the exact definition I'm looking for. - Just unique, and not ordinary looking... I guess :eek:
Does that mean that a little exaggeration is OK as long as it isn't seen as "too much" by too many people? Would a little more red on 2morrow's car's splitter, onto its upper side, improve things in your eyes? I have to ask it that way because I would have left it black if it came that way or painted it black if it didn't. I'm way more into 'subtle' than you.

Exterior wise Is what I'm looking at. - Let's see... If we have to go to "in-your-face" to achieve a more "over-styled" look, let's try it? What would you recommend?
Excessive badging (especially if deceptive), add-on fender flares, high wings (unless a dedicated track car), hood scoops, limo tint. Even rear window blinds. Those are all add-on approaches. More overstyled that's still graceful probably has to start with different sheetmetal . . . or a lot of cu$$$$$tom bodywork.

Thanks for your help!
The best help I feel I can give you, or anybody else on heavily subjective topics like this, is to try to toss the right questions back at you and hope that they can bring things into somewhat clearer focus.

@Norm, those pictures are nice! - but I'd be looking for a little more "pop" for my view of it.
|
OK. That's basically a road course/corner-carving car, the kind of build that projects an image of more well-rounded competence at the full range of what makes up "hard driving" and looks like it's just taking life really easy when being driven on the street.

What about 10.5" or 11" wide wheels with 285 - 305 tires? The tire width says you're not a poser trying for a "look" with spacers or OE-width wheels with offsets intended to fool people into thinking they're wider than they really are.

Not a S550, but something like this. About the same power as an EB, 11" wide wheels.

full.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Here's an idea from an old thread of what not to do. (Although I do like those wheels.)
14743-o-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
You do mean "bad" as in good, right. Blue Moon has one of the best looking cars on the forum. Elegant, maybe not, but it is "F-uckin A"
Honestly, I'm surprised my car gets as much positive attention as it does. I was never interested in making it popular or stylish, I just wanted it to look good to my eyes. I know it's not to everyone's taste, and that's OK, the only person it has to please is me. :like:

BiancoV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1969 Torino GT
You want an elegant car? As recommended by one poster get your paint ceramic coated and a clear bra. Also one thing that I'm surprised no one mentioned unless I missed it is keeping your car clean and immaculate...our cars are beautiful and elegant stock and nothing stands out on a car better than keeping her clean and detailed....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You want an elegant car? As recommended by one poster get your paint ceramic coated and a clear bra. Also one thing that I'm surprised no one mentioned unless I missed it is keeping your car clean and immaculate...our cars are beautiful and elegant stock and nothing stands out on a car better than keeping her clean and detailed....
Off topic but is that a 69 Torino I your avatar pic?
Sponsored