Electric Water Pump / EWP Davies Craig

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Anyone have experience with Davies, Craig electric water pump setups? Supposedly 10lbs or more of weight savings
and 13hp.

MMR sells their kit which seems to be the own produced adapter pieces with a pump and controller
that could be Davies Craig, they don't say.

1666349540772.png

1666349677173.png
Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If it's a regularly driven car I'd pass or source a pump that is used in an oem application. I'd then want to know how that oem was controlling it, full on? Only at certain temps? Etc. For these mission critical pieces I expect oe to have more testing/ abuse/ expectations of surviving. Theoretically they will lose more on 1%recall of few hundred thousand units being on the road then an am supplier does for 10% or even 50% of a few hundred or thousand units.

Mech is hard to beat similar to clutched fans. Especially for reliability.

I do wonder about their hp claim though. I thought the ac compressor was only 7hp difference off/on from what a few guys have posted when using interchillers. Compressing gas seems like harder work than moving water.

Seems like a solid win to reduce heatsoak in staging lanes though. Kill the engine/ run fans/ run pump etc.

My thoughts anyways

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Anyone have experience with Davies, Craig electric water pump setups? Supposedly 10lbs or more of weight savings
and 13hp.

MMR sells their kit which seems to be the own produced adapter pieces with a pump and controller
that could be Davies Craig, they don't say.

1666349540772.png

1666349677173.png
13hp ….. sure….. Marketing horses have a tendency to be pretty small ponies in real life…
Ask them for a copy of the dyno…After all the only way for them to know would have been to do a before and after dyno
Please report on their answers

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
10lb weight savings??? LOL. That’s a crock of BS.

OP
OP

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Well this is why I'm posting, thank you. I have my doubts for sure. If was a bonafide 13hp and 10lb, I'd be pretty interested. Anyone have a chance to weigh a stock water pump?

Sponsored

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
stock water pump weighs almost nothing don't use an electric water pump on anything less than a dedicated drag/race car watch engine masters episode on electric water pumps juice is not worth the squeeze

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
AED did some dyno testing with a Meziere unit when his S550 was all motor, and made like 12whp average over 5500 or something like that.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
13hp ….. sure….. Marketing horses have a tendency to be pretty small ponies in real life…
Ask them for a copy of the dyno…After all the only way for them to know would have been to do a before and after dyno
Please report on their answers
It's not really as crazy as it sounds. Water pumps are sized for around town, so at high RPM, they're not very efficient. It's common to slow a water pump down that's used on a track car. Spinning the pump faster doesn't mean you cool the engine any more. At high RPM, a water pump will pull a lot of power cavitating the pump and whipping the water into froth. The electric pumps are sized to spin at a constant speed, but they won't go fast enough to cavitate. They cycle on/off to keep the temp under control.

The small version of these are for a motorcycle application and they're plastic. I would be concerned to run those in a daily situation. The larger ones, like we would use on our cars, are aluminum and reasonably substantial units. The company has been around for a couple decades. If you wanted to run this combo, I bet it would work pretty damned good and I bet you give up little to nothing in terms of reliability. I bet it's lighter and I bet, at least at high RPM, there's a significant power advantage. You'll add a little complexity and something else to tax the charging system, so there's no free lunch, but I bet there's something to it.

Last edited:

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had a Davies Craig pump on my GT500 heat exchanger. It worked very well. That being said, I would not run an electric water pump on a car I was driving on the street. That little bit of weight savings and hp gain is not worth it to me over peace of mind on a mechanical pump.

OP
OP

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Thanks for the input all. I'm going to give this a try. I'm upgrading to Comp Cams and the valve train. I want a reliable 8200rpm shift point and this would only make the water pump at least marginally a better idea with the mechanical pump cranking at the top end. I wish I had all the time and money to dyno separately.. but my next iteration and dyno will be with all of that. I'm retaining ported Gen3 manifold and VCT, wanting to give up as little as possible in the mid range.

Sponsored

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium 10 speed, rapid red, pp1,
Thanks for the input all. I'm going to give this a try. I'm upgrading to Comp Cams and the valve train. I want a reliable 8200rpm shift point and this would only make the water pump at least marginally a better idea with the mechanical pump cranking at the top end. I wish I had all the time and money to dyno separately.. but my next iteration and dyno will be with all of that. I'm retaining ported Gen3 manifold and VCT, wanting to give up as little as possible in the mid range.
bump!....

How did this work?

OP
OP

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
bump!....

How did this work?
About a year and a few thousand miles later, I'm very happy with the setup. There was a problem with the adapter fitting in the kit that I remedied with a different optional part, after cracking a pump trying to tighten enough to eliminate a leak. But the quality seems good, it cools well and I love the ability to run the pump with engine off to get a cool down.

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
About a year and a few thousand miles later, I'm very happy with the setup. There was a problem with the adapter fitting in the kit that I remedied with a different optional part, after cracking a pump trying to tighten enough to eliminate a leak. But the quality seems good, it cools well and I love the ability to run the pump with engine off to get a cool down.
I'm thinking about putting one on my car. Why i ask.

OP
OP

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
My cam install thread has the info on the adapter you want to use instead of one that had been coming in the kit.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...es-install-thread-electric-water-pump.185615/

Edited the part list. I had a horrible time with the heater adaptor they supply with the Coyote kit. The threads don't seem compatible with the pump inlet. I ordered their #8315 which also has an o-ring, the correct threads and a jamb nut that allows you to get the heater outlet clocked however you need it, independent of the tightness into the pump. Worked great.

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
My cam install thread has the info on the adapter you want to use instead of one that had been coming in the kit.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...es-install-thread-electric-water-pump.185615/

Edited the part list. I had a horrible time with the heater adaptor they supply with the Coyote kit. The threads don't seem compatible with the pump inlet. I ordered their #8315 which also has an o-ring, the correct threads and a jamb nut that allows you to get the heater outlet clocked however you need it, independent of the tightness into the pump. Worked great.
How much weight and hp are true gains, if any
Sponsored