Sponsored

Electric Mustangs = End of road racing’s future?

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
At a recent track day in April anyone running an EV, had to submit all vehicle specs to track officials so they would know in the case of an incident, if and how they would proceed to save you.
I didn't know at the time, that using the jaws of life in the wrong area would kill the safety worker.

EV's have no place in motor racing IMO. If you can't refuel in 20 sec or less, what's the point.

I tried to make the point of EV's being inefficient for tracking on reddit once ... asked this question regarding the Mach E performance on track; "How many laps at a place like Road America before it needs a recharge?"

Response back; Assuming you have the GT performance drivetrain package with 235 miles of range, a little over 58 laps before it needs a recharge.

I was downvoted 10 times for pissing on their parade.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
a little over 58 laps before it needs a recharge.
And I'd have to call complete BS on that one, unless the barely go WOT.. or whatever term is correct for EV's.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it's just "Me too" because the finger they stuck in the air said they had to "say something" to appear relevant. I would give them bigger props by coming out and saying the whole 'everybody in an EV' thing is a stupid and economically unsound idea that ignores all the glaring problems with the supposed "green" technology from top to bottom.

Not to say they won't come up with a Charger/Challenger ala Mustang Thunderbolt or whatever that SEMA car was called.

Super-Genius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Oxford White Mustang GT
it's just "Me too" because the finger they stuck in the air said they had to "say something" to appear relevant. I would give them bigger props by coming out and saying the whole 'everybody in an EV' thing is a stupid and economically unsound idea that ignores all the glaring problems with the supposed "green" technology from top to bottom.
Maybe so ... but It's looking more and more like this is gonna happen. I've been a car guy my whole life, and I hate it. ☹ My 2 nephews on the other hand ... (16 and 12) think it's cool as shit

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe so ... but It's looking more and more like this is gonna happen. I've been a car guy my whole life, and I hate it. ☹ My 2 nephews on the other hand ... (16 and 12) think it's cool as shit
well, they haven't read the aforementioned textbooks yet. All kinds of ideas sound wonderful if you can't judge them in the harsh light of reality. (eg. American "educated" college students and communism)

I have no beefs with the manufactures coming up with a 30 mile or so range batt pack and an electric motor sandwiched between engine and transmission so for stop-go or around-town errands the ICE can stay powered off. Or make things simple and have a single motor driving the otherwise free-wheeling rear axle since the VAST majority of cars are front-wheel drive. And good for say <40mph speeds after which the ICE gets enabled. There are cheap and all around reasonable solutions to not using ICE when modest EV can do the job that also doesn't obligate massive infra spend or pose significant safety hazards.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I've seen the Electric "1400" Mustang run at a National event. It's pretty darn amazing!
Don't know anything about the car or it's recharging station, etc.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've seen the Electric "1400" Mustang run at a National event. It's pretty darn amazing!
Don't know anything about the car or it's recharging station, etc.
I don't guess it needs a whole lot of range for a race that's only a quarter of a mile long . . .

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
FWIW (as I have read from actual owners) a Model 3 in track mode can go 25-30 minutes on track with typical consumption rates (for that type of driving, not strolling casually around Roebling ...), and not starting at 100% __and__ not running it down past 10%

Sounds like tracks need a V2 or V3 Supercharger, then they could replenish the battery in ~30m, typical more than the downtime between sessions. The new Ioniq 5 can charge from 10% to 80% in ~18 minutes, at a 350kw DC fast charger - that's good insight into the near future.

Last edited:

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I don't guess it needs a whole lot of range for a race that's only a quarter of a mile long . . .

Norm
I don't know how much energy it uses to produce 1500+ hp and reach 170 mph in 1320 feet.
But it was fun to watch!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I don't know how much energy it uses to produce 1500+ hp and reach 170 mph in 1320 feet.
But it was fun to watch!
It's trippy too, my head still can't quite reconcile the performance vs. the sound (or lack of ...)

I was watching some Formula-E, same thing, blistering performance with a sound of a slot car :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
1500 HP = a little over 1100 KW.

Over 10 seconds (it's quicker than that, I'm sure, but I'm picking an easy number to work with here), that's only about 3 KW-Hr.

But it was fun to watch!
I suspect way different, too.

Norm
Sponsored