Electric Booster from Borgwarner?

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
So I just saw a video form motorweek about BorgWarner using a ecoboost mustang for testing an electric motor to help with turbo lag from a bigger turbo. They claim the car makes more power then a GT.

[ame]

Saw this and thought to share because it was interesting.

If the video doesn't show for what ever just look up on youtube MotorWeek - "over the edge: Turbo Lag"
Sponsored

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Very interesting, wonder what the power gains would be with a stock turbo.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Saw it too. Only thing; no price/release date for the Mustang kit was stated.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Hope they built up the block and put stronger rods in the engine if they're putting out more power than the GT...

Also wonder if it's a twin scroll turbo (to take advantage of the exhaust manifold that separates out the cylinder exhaust pulses).

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hope they built up the block and put stronger rods in the engine if they're putting out more power than the GT...

Also wonder if it's a twin scroll turbo (to take advantage of the exhaust manifold that separates out the cylinder exhaust pulses).
battery will be heavy as fuckkkk too to power that thing.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I don't think it's a full on electric turbo (i.e. no exhaust turbine capturing the power), but rather an electrically assisted one (an electric motor spins up the turbo to prevent turbo lag). Big difference, and probably a much smaller motor. Think of it like a Prius turbocharger :lol:

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
yeah but mounted in the back will add much needed weight on the drive wheels.

I wonder if there would be a bump in power for the stock turbo users, as adding and additional 7psi at no cost other than electricity (no fuel requirements) if you can bump up the stock numbers. Would be interesting if it could be used between gear shifts when you normally see a drop.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is supposedly a 48volt system, so this is not anything we are used to battery-wise. It may just need a small, supplementary "Lit-I" battery.

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost

Electric superchargers are not connected to the exhaust, no turbine housing just a compressor. Definately wouldnt last long considering instant torque/spool of echargers plus the fact its spooling a stock turbo lol.

Now if the but this sucker on a gt35/gt40 size turbo....oooh buddy itll be the ultimate setup.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
This would and will be so amazing. 450tq with 400hp is dangerous

Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Electric superchargers are not connected to the exhaust, no turbine housing just a compressor. Definately wouldnt last long considering instant torque/spool of echargers plus the fact its spooling a stock turbo lol.

Now if the but this sucker on a gt35/gt40 size turbo....oooh buddy itll be the ultimate setup.
That's not the stock turbo its an upgraded Borg Warner unit of an undisclosed size, but I'm pretty sure it's a single scroll and at least a 7670 unit or larger. The electric unit is used to aid in spooling the larger turbo and that supplies superior air flow over the stock ecoboost mustang turbo which gives it a very broad power band. This process is called compound compression.

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
This is supposedly a 48volt system, so this is not anything we are used to battery-wise. It may just need a small, supplementary "Lit-I" battery.
Exactly, I saw one instance of a deep cycle 48V 60Ah Li battery sized at ~ 18"x6"x3" (video stated "small shoe box") and can discharge 2C for <5min. That's ~5700W which lines up with the "5kw motor" stated in the video. Weight was listed as 33 lbs.
Rear seat delete kit if your concerned about too much weight!

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
[ame]

and from this video, the battery isn't very big.

If video doesn't play, Search YouTube for "Driving experience with an eBooster® - Electrically Driven Compressor"

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
Rear seat delete kit if your concerned about too much weight!
I've always found that ditching the fat ass'd GF in favor of something newer and lighter is better... ...keep the rear seats her hot friend(s) as a reminder to her to not get fat cause there's always someone that will take her spot if she does. And for the record, I do this:cheers:

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've always found that ditching the fat ass'd GF in favor of something newer and lighter is better... ...keep the rear seats her hot friend(s) as a reminder to her to not get fat cause there's always someone that will take her spot if she does. And for the record, I do this:cheers:
Congratulations, it takes a real man to gloat about his personal life on a car forum. :cheers:
Sponsored