'Eleanor' Mustang Tribute Build Seized by Gone in 60 Seconds Trademark Holder

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
She would have to file a lawsuit, seek an injunction (maybe), and get a judgment awarding her the car - he may not have been able to afford litigation and simply surrendered the car. The rich can beat up on the poor in a lawsuit. Who knows.
This is likely the case.
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Her actions are to ensure she will always get huge licensing fees for Eleanor clones. She has no use for PR.
Huge licensing fees for Elanor clones, for which the demand will go down as more people learn of her shitty behavior.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Naw, since you are in Romania you can do whatever you want. You could even make movies about it and say "nanna nanna boo boo" to that lady.
Indeed, I could do that. :cwl:
But then I'd have to think twice if I ever wanted to spend my holiday in the US. They might take me into custody as soon as I set foot in the airport. :crackup:
Fortunately I couldn't come with the Mustang, so there would be nothing for them to seize. They can seize the plane for all I care. :D

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Naw, since you are in Romania you can do whatever you want. You could even make movies about it and say "nanna nanna boo boo" to that lady.

It's just in the US that this ef'ed up court decision holds sway.
@Vlad Soare

Yeah... that's a no, haha :crazy:

Funny thing is that some time ago we had such issue in Denmark. Not this Eleanor thing but a guy made a replica of Lightning McQueen and the team from the movie "Cars"
Eventually Disney/Pixar's found out and gave him a 3 days notice to change everything or get sued by the big boys - he caved in and changed it all... at least he got to keep the cars.
This was due to the same trademark/copyright crap as in this Eleanor circus - so we're not immune to these cases across the big puddle :crackup:
18200325-cars.jpg

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
so we're not immune to these cases across the big puddle :crackup:
We're not immune to threats. But whether those threats come to something, that's a different story. :D
I don't know the law in Denmark, but in Romania they wouldn't stand a chance to get a dime from me. They would have to prove in court either that I had a financial gain out of it, or that they lost money because of it (in which case they would have to show definite proof for the exact amount they lost). It would be a civil case, not a criminal one, and in a civil case the plaintiff has the burden of proof and cannot claim more than they can prove they lost. So, if I paint Micky Mouse on my hood and they want to sue me, so be it. It would be fun. :D

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Huge licensing fees for Elanor clones, for which the demand will go down as more people learn of her shitty behavior.
I would agree, but the car has very limited appeal already. Hard to imagine it getting smaller. Plus, if she allowed clones to be built for free, she loses all licensing fees.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I would agree, but the car has very limited appeal already. Hard to imagine it getting smaller. Plus, if she allowed clones to be built for free, she loses all licensing fees.
These videos had hundreds of thousands of views. Instead of realizing that the guy was building this car for himself, not to sell, and taking advantage of the grass roots marketing that fell in her lap, she sued him and made people hate her and the movie.

All she needed to do was license the design for a bit of nothing and, I dunno, collaborate with someone who was keeping her IP relevant. Instead she chose the ass-backwards thing to do.

Just an all-around dumb move. I again repeat: I don't think she/they understands the internet, YouTube, or how bad P.R. works.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The value of Eleanors are in their exclusivity. Otherwise, they are just butt ugly Mustangs. She is managing her franchise.
The value of anything is a function of supply and demand, and demand for Eleanors is low. Nobody cares how exclusive a 1992 Ford Tempo GLS V6 MT 2 door is (less than 1000 made! exclusive!) because almost nobody wants one.

You can't just have one or the other. It's gotta be both.

What better way to stimulate demand from a newer generation than with a popular YouTube show? Perhaps you don't understand the internet either.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The value of anything is a function of supply and demand, and demand for Eleanors is low. Nobody cares how exclusive a 1992 Ford Tempo GLS V6 MT 2 door is (less than 1000 made! exclusive!) because almost nobody wants one.

You can't just have one or the other. It's gotta be both.

What better way to stimulate demand from a newer generation than with a popular YouTube show? Perhaps you don't understand the internet either.
Perhaps you don't understand licensing agreements. She doing what she needs to do to so current license holders don't sue her. If you pay big bucks for a license that is no longer very exclusive you are going to be pissed.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Perhaps you don't understand licensing agreements. She doing what she needs to do to so current license holders don't sue her. If you pay big bucks for a license that is no longer very exclusive you are going to be pissed.
From a quick count there are at least five license holders out there, the most recent of which started building cars in 2019. And exactly zero of them are building cars based on the S550 chassis. Sure looks to me like she's trying to get as many built and as many builders as she can. But the demand obviously isn't there.

Repeating myself again: All she needed to do was license the design for a bit of nothing and, I dunno, collaborate with someone who was keeping her IP relevant. Almost free grass roots marketing. The type of things companies find hard to buy with any amount of money.

Perhaps you don't understand licensing or the internet.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
From a quick count there are at least five license holders out there, the most recent of which started building cars in 2019. And exactly zero of them are building cars based on the S550 chassis. Sure looks to me like she's trying to get as many built and as many builders as she can. But the demand obviously isn't there.

Repeating myself again: All she needed to do was license the design for a bit of nothing and, I dunno, collaborate with someone who was keeping her IP relevant. Almost free grass roots marketing. The type of things companies find hard to buy with any amount of money.

Perhaps you don't understand licensing or the internet.
This is pointless. She knows what she is doing. We don't.
Sponsored