Effect of added weight on performance.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
How much will adding 38lbs affect my car? I'm having second thoughts about doing dual 10" subs behind the rear seats due to the weight of the box. Should I be concerned? I don't race. Juts like to drive it hard every now then. How much fuel will an extra 38lbs cost me? Just curious.
My other option is to sell these new 4ohm subs and buy a single dual voice coil 2ohm and build a lighter "Stealthbox" knock-off for the rear passenger trunk corner.
Sponsored

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Alright. Thanks guys!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Will you notice a 1% difference? Doubtful.

But make sure it is securely mounted, because you will notice if it starts flopping around. Once had a subwoofer come loose during an autocross.

Now if it was unsprung or rotating mass, it would matter more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Will you notice a 1% difference? Doubtful.

But make sure it is securely mounted, because you will notice if it starts flopping around. Once had a subwoofer come loose during an autocross.

Now if it was unsprung or rotating mass, it would matter more.
Thanks. It will be bolted in. I can't imagine the damage a sub box would do banging around in the trunk. Yikes!

AndrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
How much will adding 38lbs affect my car? I'm having second thoughts about doing dual 10" subs behind the rear seats due to the weight of the box. Should I be concerned? I don't race. Juts like to drive it hard every now then. How much fuel will an extra 38lbs cost me? Just curious.
My other option is to sell these new 4ohm subs and buy a single dual voice coil 2ohm and build a lighter "Stealthbox" knock-off for the rear passenger trunk corner.
38 lbs. of spring weight it just like you gained 38lbs., not really a big deal now if you rims weighed 38 lbs. more that stock it would be like gaining like 224 lbs of spring weight.

AndrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
38 lbs. of sprung weight it just like you gained 38lbs., not really a big deal now if you rims weighed 38 lbs. more that stock it would be like gaining like 224 lbs of sprung weight i.e. a person who weights 224 is now in the car with you.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How much will adding 38lbs affect my car?
Like many said already, you probably won't feel 38 lbs. However, do NOT keep going. Ha ha. Because the extra pounds certainly add up, just like on us. I put 30 with the jacking rails, rear and front braces. In my case, it was between that and a spare I might never need (plus a rear tire doesn't fit in the hole anyway), so decided on the parts that help the car all the time :). The spare and jack would have added another 45. And at least in my car's case, the rear is a little more squatted than the front, for some reason, so I'm not going to add any more weight there. Good luck.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, for drag racing the old rule of thumb was that adding/losing 100 lbs was (roughly) like gaining or losing 10 HP.

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Always heard you lose a tenth for each 100lb extra in the car. But it is relative to a lot of things, but generally a good rule of thumb.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The old drag racer saying is every 100 pounds is worth a 10th of a second.
Sponsored