Educate me on RWD in the snow

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
2 questions.

1. Have you ever drove a modern mustang on snow tires?
2. Have you ever drove on snow tires period?

This isnt 1970 anymore technology in both the vehicles and snow tires has came a Looooooooooong ways.

Not being a dick just asking.

RWD = Horrible is absurd Im looking at North Dakota winter #3 know how many times ive been stuck or in the ditch? ZERO and I drive 20 + miles round trip on interstate daily in the winter on Hakkas.

Dont regret it for a second.

Not very many Mustangs are rare and most (not all) people owe on their cars too. I dont know about everyone else but Ill speak for myself here. If Im making a payment on it trust me Im getting my moneys worth and its not sitting in the garage. Snow or not its being driven.

Worst thing to do is try drive a Mustang on all seasons. Smarten up and buy tires for winter and enjoy the car!!

1. As I stated, I was in my 08 automatic V6 Mustang (with only 210 hp, so can't imagine being in my 5.0)
2. Seeing as I was driving non-stop, easily 60+ miles a day in snowy conditions, what do you think????? And no, I've never been stuck in a ditch or gotten into an accident, despite some close calls that were the result of other moronic drivers.

RWD compared to FWD and AWD is in fact the worse when it comes to driving in snowy conditions, simply because of the way the power is being delivered/distributed. For instance, I would sometimes borrow my dad's RAV4 AWD, which was MUCH better when it came to holding the road while it was covered in snow. Is it doable? Obviously. The OP was asking for advice and experience.
And I don't know where that whole "most people owe on their cars too" came from. I've always paid my cars in full upon receipt, so yes, I do "own" my cars. Which is part of the reason why I don't want them to get ruined by the salt/constantly being covered in gravel filled slush. And I don't know how you can really "enjoy" a 435+hp car when you can't get any kind of traction. And good for you for driving your car in the snow. I personally saw the corrosion on my car that was a result from the constant exposure of salt/ice, and would never do so again.
So again, to the OP, is it possible? Yes. Would I recommend it? Definitely not as many other cars are way more suited for such conditions, and why would you expose a mustang to such harsh conditions?
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Ya know the OP is referring to driving a Bullit Mustang that is brand new ... yeah send it with steelies and snow tyres . Steve Mc Queen will be proud of ya .....

JKBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
2 questions.

1. Have you ever drove a modern mustang on snow tires?
2. Have you ever drove on snow tires period?

This isnt 1970 anymore technology in both the vehicles and snow tires has came a Looooooooooong ways.

Not being a dick just asking.

RWD = Horrible is absurd Im looking at North Dakota winter #3 know how many times ive been stuck or in the ditch? ZERO and I drive 20 + miles round trip on interstate daily in the winter on Hakkas.

Dont regret it for a second.

Not very many Mustangs are rare and most (not all) people owe on their cars too. I dont know about everyone else but Ill speak for myself here. If Im making a payment on it trust me Im getting my moneys worth and its not sitting in the garage. Snow or not its being driven.

Worst thing to do is try drive a Mustang on all seasons. Smarten up and buy tires for winter and enjoy the car!!
I am in my late 50's and live in the northeast and have always driven RWD cars. Predominantly German, but currently own a Roush tuned 2016 Ecoboost performance pack premium that i have been using Blizzaks and Ford Performance Boss 302S wheels on in the winter. I'm awaiting my Bullitt in a few days and plan to change 2 of the Boss Wheels so that they fit the rear of my Bullitt. I have always used snows on rear wheel drive cars and if you drive prudently your fine. Albeit, you have to use snows, the summer tires are non functional, in my opinion, under 40 degrees.

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I am in my late 50's and live in the northeast and have always driven RWD cars. Predominantly German, but currently own a Roush tuned 2016 Ecoboost performance pack premium that i have been using Blizzaks and Ford Performance Boss 302S wheels on in the winter. I'm awaiting my Bullitt in a few days and plan to change 2 of the Boss Wheels so that they fit the rear of my Bullitt. I have always used snows on rear wheel drive cars and if you drive prudently your fine. Albeit, you have to use snows, the summer tires are non functional, in my opinion, under 40 degrees.

In ND All Seasons consist of winter and road construction so that being said all seasons are pointless and good at nothing.

I use Hakkas in the winter and was very happy with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s on my 2016 5.0 this past summer.

I traded that car for a 2018 5.0 A10 and cannot wait to get these junk PZeros off and put Hakkas back on for winter.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
I ordered a set of 19" Hakkapelita R2's for the new Bullitt, the car and the Hakkas should all arrive next week. Just need to find a set of 9x19" wheels that will clear the Brembos. Ford has zero inventory of front Bullitt wheels in their warehouses :frown:

I have Michi PS4 on the BMW 550xi, and agree they will be useless as it gets colder. It's winter set of Hakkas go on in the next few weeks too.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I just got a white 2018 with chrome 5 spokes. They look like the bullitt wheels but chrome face instead of black. Id search for a set of new take offs or use factory performance pack 1 wheels. There are lots of OE Take off wheels to be had pretty cheap.
Sponsored