Sponsored

Educate me on RWD in the snow

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
We live in NW Montana where it's ice and snow 5-6 months of the year. Our BMW 550 and Ram truck are AWD, but the Bullitt will be my first attempt at running a RWD car in the winter. I'll put on a good set of Nokian Hakkepelita winter rubber, but is it realistic to run a MT Bullitt in the snow and ice? I've been driving MT cars for more than 50 years, so that is second nature, but not getting traction on the front wheels will be a new experience. Any advice?
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Turn off TC and drive forward to get the rear notched out like yer drifting more fun on an empty street though and with all season tyres .... don't drive it at all possible during the freezing rain and snowy days to much calcium chloride being spread around to drive through , so get a beater for those months .. or better get IT coated with the best undercoat that is available and professionally installed . I did and dang I am sure glad I did . Had to drive the first 2 years in the winter months ..dang I hate winters too ... do not go to the drive through car washes either ... rinse IT off at home with just water and soap often . I know IT's freezing ...

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
It's like driving any vehicle in the snow. Don't be a moron.

And yes, I'm serious, because it doesn't matter what you drive. I've seen AWD cars all over the place because AWD doesn't really give you lateral traction, but the aforementioned morons don't understand a lick about physics. All those nannies truly do is help you get going from a stop and accelerate. Once you've achieved movement, it's really not that much different if you've already driven in that type of weather.

I've driven AWD/4WD/Autos/Manuals in the snow in NY, but what we get a lot more of are icy roads in the mornings because it's usually warm enough during the day for it to be liquid but freeze overnight. You've already taken one half of the best advice I could give which is get better/wider tires because it makes a staggering difference. Second is riding/slipping the clutch a bit getting going instead of just taking off because you don't want to break traction and glaze the ice/snow.

Only other thing is just make sure that if/when you're downshifting, make sure you're accurate with your RPMs or slip it a bit because too much or too little on snow/ice can lose traction.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
We live in NW Montana where it's ice and snow 5-6 months of the year. Our BMW 550 and Ram truck are AWD, but the Bullitt will be my first attempt at running a RWD car in the winter. I'll put on a good set of Nokian Hakkepelita winter rubber, but is it realistic to run a MT Bullitt in the snow and ice? I've been driving MT cars for more than 50 years, so that is second nature, but not getting traction on the front wheels will be a new experience. Any advice?
With good winter tires you will be absolutely fine. They drive better on winters in snow than most AWDs on all seasons. You will have traction on front wheels obviously just they won't be powered.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Well you said "snow" Narrower tires are better in the snow. They bite into the snow better. But if its hard and/or ice, then probably a wider tire. But the tires on the Mustang are already pretty wide, so if it's mostly snow, I would tend to do narrower... Heavy snow, leave it parked.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Well you said "snow" Narrower tires are better in the snow. They bite into the snow better. But if its hard and/or ice, then probably a wider tire. But the tires on the Mustang are already pretty wide, so if it's mostly snow, I would tend to do narrower... Heavy snow, leave it parked.....
If I were lucky enough to control the snow and ice mix here I'd spend my time betting on the ponies, instead of freezin' my a$$ off in Montana :-)

I'll use whatever size the stock front tires are, and get 4 snows the same. Agree, somedays will be the 4x4 Ram and the Bullitt will stay in the heated garage :fistbump:

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
If I were lucky enough to control the snow and ice mix here I'd spend my time betting on the ponies, instead of freezin' my a$$ off in Montana :-)

I'll use whatever size the stock front tires are, and get 4 snows the same. Agree, somedays will be the 4x4 Ram and the Bullitt will stay in the heated garage :fistbump:
LOL, sounds like a plan......

JAD3D

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
19 Bullitt
I'm also interested in winter driving. Usually see snow in Omaha NE 4, possibly 5 months of the year. Usually doesn't last long though. I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations on wheel & tire combos? I think a retro torq thrust will look great during the winter season. I'm assuming sizing will be similar to a PP1 Mustang, since the brakes are larger than standard?

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
I'm also interested in winter driving. Usually see snow in Omaha NE 4, possibly 5 months of the year. Usually doesn't last long though. I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations on wheel & tire combos? I think a retro torq thrust will look great during the winter season. I'm assuming sizing will be similar to a PP1 Mustang, since the brakes are larger than standard?
I too wanted a cheap set of TorqThrust wheels for winter, but American Racing doesn't make them in 19's - and their 18's won't clear the Bullitt's calipers. Several other alternatives, none cheap. I'm looking into buying 4 new OE Bullitt front wheels (9x19) and using them on the rear too.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Saw a guy last year in a Hellcat around here during the winter. Not sure the cops Chargers are AWD or not but they seem to do fine. I'd never let my Mustang see snow, I have a Subaru Forester with Hakka's on it. It's the ultimate. Walk circles around my F150 if snow is less than three feet. I would suggest you get a cheap Subaru for winter. Tires would cost less too than the 19's for the Bullitt. A reliable Subaru can be had for $2500 and gas savings would pay for it.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I too wanted a cheap set of TorqThrust wheels for winter, but American Racing doesn't make them in 19's - and their 18's won't clear the Bullitt's calipers. Several other alternatives, none cheap. I'm looking into buying 4 new OE Bullitt front wheels (9x19) and using them on the rear too.
I would recommend just getting some take offs from someone else unless you have money out the ass. Buying steel wheels with tires already mounted from Tire rack would be the way to go or Discount Tire if local to you. Your rims are gonna look like shit all the time in the winter not to mention get filled with snow and throw your balance off.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
If using a dedicated winter tire, my order from experience goes-
Nokian Hakkapellita (Studdable)
Bridgestone Blizzak
General Altimax Arctic (studdable if needed)

Best DWS rated all season-
Continental Extreme Contact DWS

I have run all of these tire with great results. The Blizzaks and Continentals wear the fastest. Good luck this winter. Can't recommend the Subaru enough for winter driving. You can drive it to it's max limit, unlike the Mustang that you'll have to limp around with or end up as over tea kettle somewhere.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I will be on my 3rd winter in a Mustang last 2 were in a 2016 with Hakkas this year will be a 2018 5.0 A10 on Hakkas them tires are worth their weight in gold!!

If you live where it snows its Hakkas or walk!!

Sure a whole lot of SUVs and 4x4s in the ditches but no Mustangs on snows!!

Lastly I live in North Dakota trust me we get winter.

Buy Hakkas they are worth it!!

Ohh and youll have more fun in a Mustang on snows more than anything else!! Once you get a feel for how it handles its a blast to drive in the winter! Unless you are plowing snow or get high centered Mustang is great in snow

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
To put it bluntly: RWD + snow = horrible. One guy above stated that "it's all the same", but it really isn't. AWD is by far the best, and FWD is better than RWD. But yes, there are a lot of things you should in fact do to avoid potentially hazardous situations, (ie don't drive like a moron and make "slow and steady wins the race" your mantra during the winter).
I lived up in Calgary for a year after grad school, working as a sales rep for a wine/spirit company. This had me driving absolutely everywhere in a place where 8+ months of the year see snow. Back then, I only had my little 08 V6 Mustang, and that was scary enough. All this said, it doesn't matter what care you're in if you hit a patch of black ice.... I personally would never drive my stang in the snow again (just for the damage the salt/slush/etc.. does to my car), and would rather buy a beater of a truck/SUV for a few K just for those months alone. Fortunately, I will never see snow where I live now, unless I actually go to the mountains looking for it.:party:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
To put it bluntly: RWD + snow = horrible. One guy above stated that "it's all the same", but it really isn't. AWD is by far the best, and FWD is better than RWD. But yes, there are a lot of things you should in fact do to avoid potentially hazardous situations, (ie don't drive like a moron and make "slow and steady wins the race" your mantra during the winter).
I lived up in Calgary for a year after grad school, working as a sales rep for a wine/spirit company. This had me driving absolutely everywhere in a place where 8+ months of the year see snow. Back then, I only had my little 08 V6 Mustang, and that was scary enough. All this said, it doesn't matter what care you're in if you hit a patch of black ice.... I personally would never drive my stang in the snow again (just for the damage the salt/slush/etc.. does to my car), and would rather buy a beater of a truck/SUV for a few K just for those months alone. Fortunately, I will never see snow where I live now, unless I actually go to the mountains looking for it.:party:

2 questions.

1. Have you ever drove a modern mustang on snow tires?
2. Have you ever drove on snow tires period?

This isnt 1970 anymore technology in both the vehicles and snow tires has came a Looooooooooong ways.

Not being a dick just asking.

RWD = Horrible is absurd Im looking at North Dakota winter #3 know how many times ive been stuck or in the ditch? ZERO and I drive 20 + miles round trip on interstate daily in the winter on Hakkas.

Dont regret it for a second.

Not very many Mustangs are rare and most (not all) people owe on their cars too. I dont know about everyone else but Ill speak for myself here. If Im making a payment on it trust me Im getting my moneys worth and its not sitting in the garage. Snow or not its being driven.

Worst thing to do is try drive a Mustang on all seasons. Smarten up and buy tires for winter and enjoy the car!!
Sponsored