Sponsored

Chassis L0647

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
We thought you guys and girls (men and women?) might like to see our test numbers from our Long Term 2020 GT500, as well as numbers from a GT500 CF Track Pack.

These numbers were recored at the same facility (same asphalt, same driver) using the same VBOX testing equipment, so there's good consistency. I'll keep it simple and list the basics, but we'll be happy to answer any questions about other data and methods, etc.

To preempt a lot of questions, we use the manufacturer recommended tire pressures, and since we're in California, we're using crummy 91 octane. We also perform our acceleration testing on an untreated surface - it's just regular asphalt. So yes, your times from a drag strip will be faster. If they're not, you need to work on your technique. We do real world testing.

GT500 CF:
Weather data - 67.12 (temp) 30.03 (pressure) 54.25 (humidity) 3.31 (wind speed)
0-60 - 3.8 / 3.5 (with rollout)
1/4 - 11.3 @ 130.7
Braking from 60 - 98 feet
Skidpad (with track alignment/ Cup 2 tires) - 1.17 (clockwise and counter clockwise average)
Curb weight (full tank) - 4058

GT500:
Weather data - 80.00 (temp) 29.91 (pressure) 54.50 (humidity) 5.62 (wind speed)
0-60 - 3.7 / 3.4 (with rollout)
1/4 - 11.3 @ 129.9
Braking from 60 - 103 feet
Skidpad (standard alignment / Sport 4S tires) - 1.02 (clockwise and counter clockwise average)
Curb weight (full tank) - 4168

And here's a link to our latest video update!
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good stuff.

Even better, 20 minutes with a lug wrench and the wheels and tires could have been swapped between the two cars (if you had them both at the same time, obviously) and then tested again. Optimized combinations? No. But it it would have shed some interesting light. Maybe next time?

Last edited:

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
Not to be a dick but I see nothing in this that relates to long term. You all might have had a GT500 longer than us but that doesn't make it "long term". To me long term means maintenance, problems, etc. Nothing in here about that. So just call it testing the GT500 vs GT500 CFTP.

I am assuming this wasn't tested same day either. Most specs are the same but temp and wind speed vary greatly. If it was the same day you clearly didn't run them back to back on each test. If it was same day you clearly ran the CFTP's tests all in a row and then ran the base after. This is just based on the temp. I would love to be proved wrong but 13 degree difference doesn't happen in minutes.

OP
OP
Chassis L0647

Chassis L0647

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Not to be a dick...
Not at all. Sorry, I forgot to include the test dates in that post. The GT500 CF was tested on December 9, 2019 and the standard GT500 on August 3, 2020. We correct for weather on supercharged cars, so both received a correction factor related to their respective testing conditions.

With regards to the Long Term GT500, it is a car we have purchased and will own for at least one year. We document everything with our Long Term cars ( we have... 12(?) at the moment) so there will be more with maintenance, warranty claims (should there be any) fuel economy, track days and daily life. If you're interested, there's a link to the Shelby's page in the signature.

OP
OP
Chassis L0647

Chassis L0647

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Maybe next time?
Totally. If I have anything to say about it, once the Pilot 4S tires get blown off the car, I'd like to replace them with Cup 2's. Since weight between the two cars is so similar, a few of us are wondering if there's any massive benefit to buying a CF. We've already noted the CF car, with its carbon wheels, does ride noticeably better than the standard model and its heavier alloy wheels.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Different months but applied some correction factor..feel highly variable. Hope to see someone test these together on the same day. Even hard to compare somewhat subjective stats like ride quality, this far apart.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Totally. If I have anything to say about it, once the Pilot 4S tires get blown off the car, I'd like to replace them with Cup 2's. Since weight between the two cars is so similar, a few of us are wondering if there's any massive benefit to buying a CF.
tenor (5).gif

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
^^^^^^ LMAO ............ :like:

1crazymach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red GT 500
Good stuff.

Even better, 20 minutes with a lug wrench and the wheels and tires could have been swapped between the two cars (if you had them both at the same time, obviously) and then tested again. Optimized combinations? No. But it it would have shed some interesting light. Maybe next time?
I just came back from Sonoma for Track attack event 9/19/2020 Ford would not comment but Michelin was there and they told me there is a three second difference on the track testing between the ps2s and the PS4s tire only.
Sponsored