Sponsored

Ecoboost to GT Regrets? Tips/Suggestions?

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Hi, this will be my first thread I've created here, so if it's a topic that's been covered well, would someone please share the link with me? Otherwise, I currently have a 2015 Ecoboost Performance Package (roughly 61k miles) that I have had for a little more than 4 years (I'm the 2nd owner). I have loved every second with it. That being said, with the S550 now on its way out, and the few dealers out there willing to provide solid deals, I am leaning heavily toward ordering a 23 GT, also PP. I am curious if anyone out there that went from the EB to the GT had any regrets after doing so. I've never really been the type to think, "I'll drive the EB until I can upgrade to the GT." I've actually more-so thought I'd have both one day. But, seeing how they are both S550s, and given my current limitations on storage, I don't think it makes sense to own both if I do this. I have owned a V8 Mustang before (2003 Mach 1) and I've missed having that, but it was never my daily driver. So, this would be a first for me in that regard. Anyway, before I make this too lengthy, I'll cut it off here and just ask what experiences others have had and what tips/suggestions you might have before I commit to this decision? Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
this convo have been discussed many many times for sure haha

I had a '17 Ecoboost Premium with PP for 4 years...then last year upgraded to a '21 GT base....regrets? Not even a little bit....even with gas prices surging the past few months. I enjoyed the eco as well don't get me wrong, but I just feel, personally, the GT is just what I've always wanted, plain and simple.

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
this convo have been discussed many many times for sure haha

I had a '17 Ecoboost Premium with PP for 4 years...then last year upgraded to a '21 GT base....regrets? Not even a little bit....even with gas prices surging the past few months. I enjoyed the eco as well don't get me wrong, but I just feel, personally, the GT is just what I've always wanted, plain and simple.
I assumed it had been lol but a quick search in the forums didn't give me what I wanted to find. I was probably too specific.

I appreciate your take! That's great to hear. My biggest struggle is knowing that I don't need to do this, like I said I've only got 61k miles on the EB, so I'm having a hard time with the decision to do it. (Background - I'm a finance guy, prioritize saving for retirement and updating my spreadsheet with my personal budget haha so this isn't a normal decision for me.)

Crowd.Slayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
If you plan on doing mods, I would look into 21' and under models for the GT. If you plan on keeping it stock (lol good luck) then any 22' and up would be great.

My GT is a daily. With a combination of highway and street mileage, I average about 20mpg which isn't bad all things considering. The reactions you get are always awesome. The 5.0 never gets old. My drive to and from work are my favorite times of the day.

Had the car almost 5 years now and I still have to tell myself to stop staring at it when i get out of her. This car will ruin your life. Run. You tell yourself 'one mod couldn't hurt', 5k later you're throwing new wheels, rubber and begin to think 305's are 'lookin kinda small', all bolt-on options, begin planning out boost options, begin to consider going E85, renaming your savings account to 'Whipple Fund' in online banking and more. Don't even look into exterior options.

Seriously, fuck the Mustang. I love her.

Last edited:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
i was torn between the HPP and PP1 GT when i ordered. i've had my GT a week so here's my thoughts.

1. i'm absolutely convinced i would've been perfectly happy with the HPP. they're a hoot.
2. I'm also absolutely over the moon with how awesome this GT is because this thing is an absolute animal.

the GT is so far beyond what you can responsibly use on the street I have no plans to do performance mods ever. ford really hit the sweet spot with this thing.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
If you plan on doing mods, I would look into 21' and under models for the GT. If you plan on keeping it stock (lol good luck) then any 22' and up would be great.

Umm, why?

Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see any reason anyone would regret going from an Ecoboost to a 5.0.. besides gas mileage maybe, but why buy a Mustang if you're worried about that... get the GT and never look back.

Crowd.Slayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Umm, why?
Guess I should be more precise and say heavy modding*

Going into specifics, you'll have to ask someone who knows their stuff. From my understanding it is getting into the files to alter them for tuning. 21' and under model years are wide open to modify the ECU, anything from 22' and up doesn't possibly run the same due to Ford making it increasingly harder to get access to the ECU to modify. Less access to calibration, making it harder and harder with every model year to modify and dial in perfectly with every application.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. It started on the '22 and up models. Some of the speculation is if you get the '24+ S650, it will be un-tunable for quite a long time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)

My GT is a daily. With a combination of highway and street mileage, I average about 20mpg which isn't bad all things considering. The reactions you get are always awesome. The 5.0 never gets old. My drive to and from work are my favorite times of the day.

Had the car almost 5 years now and I still have to tell myself to stop staring at it when i get out of her. This car will ruin your life. Run. You tell yourself 'one mod couldn't hurt', 5k later you're throwing new wheels, rubber and begin to think 305's are 'lookin kinda small', all bolt-on options, begin planning out boost options, begin to consider going E85, renaming your savings account to 'Whipple Fund' in online banking and more. Don't even look into exterior options.

Seriously, fuck the Mustang. I love her.
I will definitely do the necessary mod (exhaust) basically immediately. Anything else will be gradual, which is how I have done things with my Ecoboost to date. What prompted this was stumbling upon a CPO 21 online that I noticed was finally priced like a used car is supposed to be. Even then, with the deals offered by dealers like Granger, I could order a new one exactly as I want it for only a little more. When I bought my Ecoboost, there was a brand new one available with the exact specs I wanted for about $2k-3k more. Me being the bargain hunter I am, I went with the better value. Although I love my car, I've looked back and thought I should've paid that little extra for exactly what I wanted. So I'm essentially telling myself it's about time I actually do that.

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
i was torn between the HPP and PP1 GT when i ordered. i've had my GT a week so here's my thoughts.

1. i'm absolutely convinced i would've been perfectly happy with the HPP. they're a hoot.
2. I'm also absolutely over the moon with how awesome this GT is because this thing is an absolute animal.

the GT is so far beyond what you can responsibly use on the street I have no plans to do performance mods ever. ford really hit the sweet spot with this thing.
I actually know exactly where you're coming from. Like I've mentioned, I'm very happy with my Ecoboost. In early 2021, my brother got a deal on a PP2 and after driving it briefly, I was convinced I'd be getting a V8 soon enough. My plan had just been that it would be my second car, not the replacement. As time has passed and I've considered it further, it just feels weird to have 2 cars that for all intents and purposes will be basically the same. In that scenario, I have a good feeling I know which one will be driven the most while the other is left sitting lol
Sponsored