Ecoboost Performance Calibration M-9603-M4C Opinions

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
The FP tuner M-9603-M4C is good as far as the performance improvement and I do feel it improves the shift harshness some but then my 2020 eco premium did not have any harsh shift issues since buying in Dec 29th 2021 at 5800 miles used. So not 100% sure if it will fix any harsh downshift issues or not in a tranny that has such issues. I went with the FP tuner for warranty reasons.

I can tell you if I had known and understood what I do now I would go with a Cobb AP and deal with any warranty issues that may come from using the Cobb. here are my reasons and issues with the FP tuner.

1. My fault for not understanding the changes to the program for 18+ vehicles versus 15-17 vehicles. The program for 15-17 model years allows you to flash from stock to FP tune at will if you have the program installed on your laptop or if the dealer gives you a thumb drive with the stock PC3 calibration files on it, if not using your laptop bring thumb drive of 8+ gigs with you to have them install PC3 file on. 18+ model years FP did away with the ability for the owner to flash back to stock calibration at all, must be done by dealer flashing back to "as built " calibration for a fee. See "note" warning at bottom of web page for the M-9603-M4C tuner, that's what I did read, but not understand correctly. My bad. But in my defense the installation instruction that can be found at the very bottom of the web page under "Procal" still show how to flash from stock to FP and have not been updated for 18+ vehicles but are still based on 15-17 model year vehicle installation.

2. Since installing the tune on my car the configure function of the program that should allow you to adjust axle ratio and tire revolution per mile numbers that will need to be done if you change axle ratio or tire sizes does not work and will not even auto populate with the correct axle ratio and tire size that is on my car. I have a buddy with a 17 model year and he can flash from stock to FP at will and the axle ratio and tire rev per/mile number auto populate with the correct numbers. My speedo and odometer do read correctly. Also, in the configure function there is provision for octane adjustment if you get a bad tank of fuel to help prevent detonation and a misfire diagnostics function that also does not work in my FP program, but which the FP tech reps state should work.

I have been in contact with FP tech for over a month now (5 phone calls once per week) still with no resolution to my nonfunctioning configure function. I have been told they have sent my issue to 4 different engineers so far but no response to my issue or getting it resolved. There are only 3 FP tech reps and they are all working from home so have no actual access to engineers or other resources. The FP tech rep has stated the configure function should work but since my car runs fine and the speedo and odometer are correct, and no codes are being set he sees no real issue with the program in my vehicle. I call BS and FP tech is worthless.

At this point I feel I am just being given lip service by FP tech and will be contacting ford customer service on Tuesday if after I call FP tech one last time and am told the same lame excuse that I will send it to more engineers. I paid good money for a program that is not working as stated it should in the instructions or designed to function.

IMO, DO NOT spend your money with FP program M-9603-M4C unless you have cash to burn.

READ section with "NOTE" at bottom of info page.

2018-2021 MUSTANG ECOBOOST PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION| Part Details for M-9603-M4C | Ford Performance Parts

Procal 3 installation instructions stating how to flash from stock to FP tune with no disclamer about 18+ vehicle requiring a dealer to flash "as built " calibration for a fee and no disclaimer about the configure function not working on 18+ vehicles.

Microsoft Word - ProCal 3 User Manual 8-2-2016 (2) (ford.com)

The above instructions have not been updated since 2016. Save your coins for a product with real customer service and support.

Also, the inability to flash from stock to FP tune only affects 18+ mustang ecoboosts since 18+ GTs and 19+ Rangers use the newer procal 4 tuner which comes with FP tune software included and allows swapping from stock to FP tune at will. The procal 4 is a rebranded Livernois tuner.

2018-2021 MUSTANG GT CALIBRATION W/COLD AIR INTAKE AND THROTTLE BODY| Part Details for M-9603-M8B | Ford Performance Parts

2019-2021 RANGER ECOBOOST POWER PACK PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION| Part Details for M-9603-REB | Ford Performance Parts

BD
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Update to FP configure issue I am having with my FP tune. I was contacted by the FP tech rep today (shocked) about my issue via email. He asked for me to call him which I did, and he stated that my issue was being escalated to upper engineering dept. He asked for my VIN and more details on the issues I am experiencing in order to resolve my issues.

I will not get into all the conversation at this point till I get it fully resolved but will provide updates as they are encountered.

I will say I am now more at ease that my issue is not falling on deaf ears and there is something actually happening towards fixing the issues I am experiencing with my FP tune.

I will say there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

BD

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
with D5 trans! You'd a sing a different tune if you had to experience D4+3.31.
My '19 EB had D4+3.55 and this time I'm going for custom 3.73

But we've hijacked OP's thread enough.

OP see if your tuner can load the F150 shift profiles into the tables. I can't see why not.
I put the truck in 'S' mode to go bombing up and down curvy roads and it was just lovely - smooth melding up and down the ratios and no upset to chassis. That config should be the default in the Mustang.
Just reading through this thread now... LOL

I'll also agree that the TCM programming in the 2020 Explorer ST is awesome too - in any mode, even Sport. The ST shifted nice;,there wasn't any of the clunkiness or harsh shifting patterns found in the S550 10R80 when manually shifting the ST up, or when manually downshifting OR when letting the trans do it's own auto shifting. Driving that ST was very nice, it moved for the amount of weight it was pushing - and it's very unsuspecting to others in sports cars... :devil:

I too also wonder why it's so difficult for the Ford Engineering Team to compare the various 10R80 mappings - not just visual of the code or parameters seen through diagnostics - but do actual seat/drive time between various models...

Shotgunut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shotgunut
Vehicle(s)
17 4bang stang premium!
We've been looking into getting a cobb and a custom tune from PD. There is a transmission option we will most likely buy also. Talk to tuners. They probably have great info.
Sup dawg, coyote!

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Looking back in hindsight I wish I would have went with the Cobb, but was trying to keep warranty in force. FP is working to correct my issues but they do not seem to be in any hurry either.

At this point I will just wait to see where it ends up with FP and go from there.

BD

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Looking back in hindsight i wish i would have went with the Cobb, but was trying to keep warranty in force. FP is working to correct my issues but they do not seem to be in any hurry either.

At this point I will just wait to see where it ends up with FP and go from there.

BD

When you get the Cobb please post a review of everything.

Also, I am probably going to go with the FP tune in the next few weeks. Just to keep my warranty. Im only at 12k miles. Ill have a dealer install it.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
When you get the Cobb please post a review of everything.

Also, I am probably going to go with the FP tune in the next few weeks. Just to keep my warranty. Im only at 12k miles. Ill have a dealer install it.
I would wait on buying the procal 3 FP tuner until I find out if they get my issues resolved unless you have no plans on changing axle ratios, tire sizes or being able to activate octane adjust if by chance you get a bad tank of gas or have a misfire issue occur. None of the configuration tab functions will be operational in the program. You also will not be able to return to the stock calibration without the dealer flashing the "as built" data back into the PCM for a charge.

Just an FYI.
BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
New update to my FP tune issue and not a good one.

I was hesitant to provide full content prior to getting the issue resolved by FP tech but now I am very unhappy and have little hope for any resolution at all.

I was initially told by the FP tech that I would be given a free Procal 4 tuner (rebranded Livernois tuner) for my car and be a guinea pig for the beta testing of the Procal 4 tuner that is available for the rangers right now. I was led to believe it was in preliminary stages of development for the mustang ecos and I would have to pay to have my car returned to "as built" calibration by a dealer, but the Procal 4 would be supplied to me for free and would allow to go from stock to FP tune just like the 15–17-year models can as well as have more available features included with the tuner.

Well today I called the FP tech after 3 months of waiting for the engineers to finish getting the Procal 4 ready for release and testing. I was told that the latest decisions by Jim Farley to close plants and lay off 3000 employees included the engineers that were working on the Procal 4 tuner for the mustang ecoboosts. The tech did say for me to resend the info I initially provided him, and he would see about getting another engineer to take over my case/issue, but I do not have much if any hope for that to take place or any resolution now.

I know Ford and ford performance are two separate entities/businesses, but they are still under the ford umbrella as a whole.

Just a word of warning to anyone buying any FP products that tech support for issues with their product may be severely limited if existent at all from this point forward.

I just wasted my money on a product with no support after the sale.

BD

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I just wasted my money on a product with no support after the sale.

BD
That's bullshit. At the very least, they need to make that part right.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That's bullshit. At the very least, they need to make that part right.
Agree 100%. If I don't get anywhere in a few weeks, I will contact ford customer service but honestly don't hold much hope from them either.

Just seems that there is no real concern for customer after they have your money in their greedy hands these days.

I have not had anyone else confirm the same issue with their 18+ ecos as far as the configure function being nonfunctional but I find it hard to believe I am the only one with this issue.

If there are any other owners that have the FP tune for 18+ mustangs on their own laptops, they have not chimed in as to whether the configure function is functional or not.

I would like to know if it is just my vehicle that is experiencing the issue. I believe that most just let the dealer flash the tune on the dealer's system and never asked for the flash drive for their personnel use or did not supply a laptop to have it downloaded and used to flash the tune with. You do own the tune for your vehicle so you can register and download the program to any personnel device of your choosing.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/register/

BD

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I am going to bite the bullet and buy the tune.

I contacted FP and they said once I get everything in the mail, I will need to register an account and download on the. They told me that if I am having a Ford Dealer install (to maintain my warranty) that they recommend me to write down my FP name and password for the dealer to use - then chance the it after the tune for security reasons.

It makes sense. I guess. But I feel like Ford should have a better way to do this?

Also, what is stopping me from using the voucher code to download the tune and then do the same for a friend later? Or is a voucher code only good for one car?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If your friend was smart he'd go talk to Unleashed Tuning for a tune and SCT device. :)

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I am going to bite the bullet and buy the tune.

I contacted FP and they said once I get everything in the mail, I will need to register an account and download on the. They told me that if I am having a Ford Dealer install (to maintain my warranty) that they recommend me to write down my FP name and password for the dealer to use - then chance the it after the tune for security reasons.

It makes sense. I guess. But I feel like Ford should have a better way to do this?

Also, what is stopping me from using the voucher code to download the tune and then do the same for a friend later? Or is a voucher code only good for one car?
When you register to create your account for downloading the tune program you enter the Voucher code to tie it to your VIN and yourself. You then own the download and can download the program to as many PCs as you like or log in from any PC with your login info you create when registering. I would suggest using a laptop that you own to download the program on and then have the dealer use your laptop to install the tune.

You can either have a ford dealer flash the tune or any ASE certified technician and still maintain the 3/36 warranty.

Just realize if you ever want to go back to the stock tune it will have to be done by a dealer for a fee. They are the only one that has access to the "as built" PCM calibration. Mine quoted me 2 hours labor which is 270.00 bucks to flash back to stock tune.

BD

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
It being tied to my vin makes a whole lot more sense!

Do you think they would allow me to be present while they do the upload? Ive tuned my car with an sct handheld before - but never through a dealer

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It being tied to my vin makes a whole lot more sense!

Do you think they would allow me to be present while they do the upload? Ive tuned my car with an sct handheld before - but never through a dealer
I asked my dealers service manager about being in the car and using my laptop to do mine and he was ok with it, but it was going to be 6 weeks before they could get me in, so I took mine to a ASE tech I know for them to perform the install on my laptop.

I do know flashing the tune will erase any adaptive learning memory your car has in the PCM now so it will start all over from scratch with a clean slate. The tune does help with the trans shift strategy so hopefully your poor shifting you have been dealing with will be resolved. It takes about 4 to 500 miles to get the full benefit of the tune, but if you do some spirited driving and some WOT pulls you should see a good difference in the first 50 to 100 miles. Mine went from 20 psi max boost at WOT to 24 psi boost within 50 miles, the shift quality takes a bit longer.

BD
Sponsored