Sponsored

Ecoboost Owners with Muffler Delete: How's the daily driving sound?

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 50th Anniversary Edition
I think most of us can agree that the stock exhaust with mufflers is relatively underwhelming on the Ecoboost, but that's not what this post is about. Any owners who got a muffler delete on their ecoboost, does it drone to an annoying extent?

I'm gonna be doing quite a bit of highway driving in the fall. There's a local guy I know who will straight pipe it for like $60 (and I can keep the mufflers so they can always be welded back on).
Sponsored

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
Muffler delete here. Absolutely love the improvement in tone and really cannot detect any drone (and I have a vert). I also had them install resonated tips when doing the deletes, so I definitely think going with resonated tips helped prevent any drone. I'm actually still considering deleting the resonator as well and swapping in a small Magnaflow muffler to replace it.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
No highway drone, the only annoyance is during cold startup, can be a bit loud for about 60 seconds. I have resonated tips and resonator delete as well.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
No highway drone, the only annoyance is during cold startup, can be a bit loud for about 60 seconds. I have resonated tips and resonator delete as well.
Yeah mine is also loud for the first minute or so, but I wouldn't say it's obnoxious in any way.

How much of a difference was deleting the resonator (or did you do all three at once?) and did you just do a straight pipe?

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Yeah mine is also loud for the first minute or so, but I wouldn't say it's obnoxious in any way.

How much of a difference was deleting the resonator (or did you do all three at once?) and did you just do a straight pipe?
All done at the same time, significantly louder at WOT. Louder at idle than my wife's '17 Ecoboost.

Sponsored

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
I have the Hooker blackheart catback with no mufflers. I have people tell me its the best sounding EB mustang they have heard, which i find hard to believe. There isn't any drone and its super loud at WOT. It is kinda loud at cold idle, sometimes too loud I think, but i don't like my neighbors so meh.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
I think most of us can agree that the stock exhaust with mufflers is relatively underwhelming on the Ecoboost, but that's not what this post is about. Any owners who got a muffler delete on their ecoboost, does it drone to an annoying extent?

I'm gonna be doing quite a bit of highway driving in the fall. There's a local guy I know who will straight pipe it for like $60 (and I can keep the mufflers so they can always be welded back on).
So far so great, put some 9" resonated tips on and you're golden.

Don't waste your money on this $500 bullshit. No aftermarket exhaust for a 4banger sounds good. Straight piping a 2.3T is about the most natural sounding exhaust note you're going to get.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sound is opinions, ie. I have resonator delete and awe touring axle back, I like it.

I want some more volume myself so looking at a higher flow cat downpipe. But Up til recently been perfectly happy.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
So far so great, put some 9" resonated tips on and you're golden.

Don't waste your money on this $500 bullshit. No aftermarket exhaust for a 4banger sounds good. Straight piping a 2.3T is about the most natural sounding exhaust note you're going to get.
Sound is subjective. However, the EB with certain set ups either sound more high pitched or low pitched. The MBRP race is low pitched. I Like a low growls/rumble. I had the $600, so why not. At the time that I bought my exhaust , end of 2017, the price was $600 , but compared to OTHERS , the cheapest catback. Now that Ive put 65k mi in it, it sounds even better...
IMO, it makes THIS 4banger sound good.

tikeybun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost, Honda CR-Z
Ive been running my setup with a muffer delete for a little more then 1 year but may go back to the MBRP. I do like the sound of the muffler delete but it can be obnoxious on cold starts. Funny thing is after my tune from PDTUNING, I'm hearing more turbo noise and less exhaust noise on WOT pulls with my muffler delete.
Sponsored