Sponsored

Ecoboost mustang vs competition

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Is the price difference that much between an Ecoboost and a base GT? I got my base GT for 30K. And if the Ecoboost requires 93 octane I would probably spend the same if not more on gas than my GT. I drive my GT with a light foot and net 26.5 MPG average and just got over 30 on a 1300 mile trip. But I know someone that bought a 2018 Ecoboost auto and he loves it. He previously had a VW Golf RS.
The EB does not require 93 oct. Of course if you want the car to perform at peak HP and Tq you need 93oct. Also the GT tank is 0.5 Gal bigger. That and the 10k difference in price will take about 10-15yrs (I made the calculation once, but don’t remember the time) to break even in gas expenses.

In my opinion a base car interior kinda sucks. But I’m a millennial and I like all the electronics and stuff like these cars can get inside.
Sponsored

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Is the price difference that much between an Ecoboost and a base GT? I got my base GT for 30K. And if the Ecoboost requires 93 octane I would probably spend the same if not more on gas than my GT. I drive my GT with a light foot and net 26.5 MPG average and just got over 30 on a 1300 mile trip. But I know someone that bought a 2018 Ecoboost auto and he loves it. He previously had a VW Golf RS.
I'm going to guess that the insurance for the GT is much higher. If you're getting 26.5MPG in a GT he'd probably get 30+ in the EB. If you live anywhere with hills (like here in Maryland) you're not going to get anywhere close to 26MPG in a GT and that's before you factor in traffic. So even if he lives on a flat plain with no traffic, he's still going to get better gas mileage in the EB.

The EB is the BRZ that everyone actually wants. It's a damn good value. If you're not used to turbo 4 cylinders, I recommend it. I came from the VW world where everything is mostly a turbo 4, so I got a V6 for a change of pace, but if I didn't have the VW pedigree, I would have got a EB for sure. Boooost is fun. Oh and blow off valve noises. The exhaust sounds kind of meh, but I think the turbo noises make up for it. Then again, some people probably think my V6 sounds like poop, so really it's all subjective. What is not subjective though is that the EB is legitimately fantastic value and all around great car.

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
I'm sorry op for you job. I trust you will find another one soon.

you just lost your job, in my opinion, buying a new car should be your last concern. just focus on making money at this point. Soon you will be able to buy a GT and enjoy the glorious v8.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
I'm sorry op for you job. I trust you will find another one soon.

you just lost your job, in my opinion, buying a new car should be your last concern. just focus on making money at this point. Soon you will be able to buy a GT and enjoy the glorious v8.
Thanks for the words man. I am looking right now. Its my gf that needs a car and she likes mustangs but we couldnt afford a gt so we are basically deciding between the EB and the VW GTI.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to guess that the insurance for the GT is much higher. If you're getting 26.5MPG in a GT he'd probably get 30+ in the EB. If you live anywhere with hills (like here in Maryland) you're not going to get anywhere close to 26MPG in a GT and that's before you factor in traffic. So even if he lives on a flat plain with no traffic, he's still going to get better gas mileage in the EB.

The EB is the BRZ that everyone actually wants. It's a damn good value. If you're not used to turbo 4 cylinders, I recommend it. I came from the VW world where everything is mostly a turbo 4, so I got a V6 for a change of pace, but if I didn't have the VW pedigree, I would have got a EB for sure. Boooost is fun. Oh and blow off valve noises. The exhaust sounds kind of meh, but I think the turbo noises make up for it. Then again, some people probably think my V6 sounds like poop, so really it's all subjective. What is not subjective though is that the EB is legitimately fantastic value and all around great car.
I live in SoCal so traffic is ass. I had a gt for a few years and yeah the gas and insurance really killed me lol. When you have a gt you really wanna drive it so it ends up hurting your wallet more than you want lol

Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
I live in SoCal so traffic is ass. I had a gt for a few years and yeah the gas and insurance really killed me lol. When you have a gt you really wanna drive it so it ends up hurting your wallet more than you want lol
There are some real deals on New 2017 GTs in So Calif. I recently got 1

xmadror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ecoboost
Only have good things to say about my base '17 ebm with 3.73 FD and Ford performance tune.
I'm quite happy with the 335hp and 390tq (crank).
I don't have anything else planned for engine performance (other then maybe a better stock location FMIC).
If I can save some money for mods I'd be looking at the suspension next.

I would have, off course, preferred a 5.0 but it would not have been able to afford it comfortably like the ebm.

One thing to keep in mind is that the fuel saving will be minimal if you step on it a lot (assuming 91-93oct will be used).
I was averaging 17mpg in the summer and now 23mpg during winter (Canada/Qc)
1st car I have that get better mpg during the winter!

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I think you could get a new 2018 EB for around $20K, especially if you can drive a manual trans. Here is one advertised for $21.2K. I'm sure with a bit of negotiating, you could get this closer to $20K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/738107958/overview/

In contrast, the lowest "advertised" prices for GTs are in the $27-28K range.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I think you could get a new 2018 EB for around $20K, especially if you can drive a manual trans. Here is one advertised for $21.2K. I'm sure with a bit of negotiating, you could get this closer to $20K.

Yeah a base model EB is one heck of a new car bargain. Keep in mind too, a lot of those $27-28k GTs have a bunch of incentives and rebates stacked on top of each other that you probably don't qualify for and the low sticker price is just bait to get you in the door.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Yeah a base model EB is one heck of a new car bargain. Keep in mind too, a lot of those $27-28k GTs have a bunch of incentives and rebates stacked on top of each other that you probably don't qualify for and the low sticker price is just bait to get you in the door.
To be fair, they stack those on the EB too, and every other car for sale. When I bought my 18 EB back in Feb, I was actually going to the dealer to see a 17 EB Prem they had advertised. When they offered it to me for more than the advertised price I laughed and got up to leave. We were able to come to terms on an 18, which was really equipped the way I wanted it to begin with (base, PP, 6spd). Buying a new car is almost always a mystifying experience.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

thats def a good deal. When I was looking for EB's 18's are actually pretty solid deals. 15-17 can be had for even less too. a 300hp manual car thats light for under 20k is hard to find these days.
Sponsored