ecoboost finished in europe

tomdwa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
white mustang ecoboost hpp
As from tomorrow the 1st of January 2021, Ford stops selling the Mustang ecoboost in Europe (due to emission and safety regulations). Only the coyote V8 is still available to buy at the Ford dealerships. However, that vehicle costs a ton to buy AND to drive. In Belgium, it's sold for approximately 48.000 euros (which is ok), BUT you immediately have to pay and additional WHOPPING 11.391 euros to be able to put it in traffic, AND you pay an additional yearly tax of 3.236 euros. Which adds up a lot, and will presumably be too much for many...
Any other Mustang-drivers or -lovers in other European countries with thoughts on this?
Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
It is the end of the mustang adventure in europe. It was here for only 5 years, but we are not the right country\place for fun cars.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
IIRC in Italy you have to pay an additional 5000 euros yearly for 'luxury tax" :-O

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As from tomorrow the 1st of January 2021, Ford stops selling the Mustang ecoboost in Europe (due to emission and safety regulations).
The export variant of the 2018+ Ecoboost is Euro 6.2-compliant, so there are no emissions-related concerns. Nor are there any safety issues, since the car itself is identical to the GT. They're killing it simply because it hasn't sold in Europe as well as they hoped. Contrarily to everyone's expectations, Europeans don't seem to want the Ecoboost.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The export variant of the 2018+ Ecoboost is Euro 6.2-compliant, so there are no emissions-related concerns. Nor are there any safety issues, since the car itself is identical to the GT. They're killing it simply because it hasn't sold in Europe as well as they hoped. Contrary to everyone's expectations, Europeans don't seem to want the Ecoboost.
Of course they don't. The GT feels American and special, the ecoboost doesn't in comparison. Not that the Ecoboost is bad, but why would any European pay so much for a 4 cyl turbo? I think GT sales will stay decent even with the high taxes and fuel costs.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Exactly. The Ecoboost is really good, properly good, but we're fed up with four-cylinder turbos. They're everywhere. They're a dime a dozen here. To us, it feels like a Focus RS in fancy clothes - and if you want that, then why not get an RS in the first place? After dreaming of having a Mustang for fifty years, we now want all or nothing. It's unfair, I know, but it is what it is.
Americans, on the other hand, aren't prejudiced against four-pot turbos - why should they be? - which is why the Ecoboost is selling so well there.

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It is the end of the mustang adventure in europe. It was here for only 5 years, but we are not the right country\place for fun cars.
Fortunately not all European countries are equally bad on this front. The GT 5.0 costs/costed 50+ percent more than the ecoboost in Norway, but only 10% more in e.g. Spain. First thing I did when I moved to Spain last year: order Mustang GT. Finally. ;-)

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In Romania it costs nothing up-front, the registration is free, but there's an annual tax after that. For a five-liter engine it's about 1700 euros per year, give or take.
I used to complain about it and to think it was preposterous, but now that I see how much worse it is in other contries, I'm beginning to think that we're actually among the lucky ones.
The tax depends solely on engine size and isn't linear, but sort of a geometric progression. To give you an idea, the 2.3 Ecoboost would be approximately 160 euros per year, a 2.0 engine would be about 35 euros per year, and a 1.6 engine about 12 euros per year. That's why the 1700 euros for a 5.0 engine seems preposterous by comparison.

OP
OP
tomdwa

tomdwa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
In our country, yearly taxes to drive a car depend on a mix of multiple criteria: engine size, horse power, emission. And the tax increases every year, to encourage people to buy more economical cars and hybrid and electrical vehicles. A bummer for those of us who like more powerful and sport cars :frown: ...

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No reason not to be happy. It's an excellent engine. And you've got some gorgeous roads to drive it on over there. :)

OP
OP
tomdwa

tomdwa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Happy with my Ecoboost and £150 (165 Euros) road tax annually in Scotland.
Lucky you...! And furthermore, as a part of the UK you're not subjected to European emission legislation anymore 🇪🇺.
Sponsored