Sponsored

Ebay got me with a fake 'OEM' plastic drain plug. Input wanted.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, bought a drain plug I thought was OEM on eBay, but as always, didn't carefully read the entire description, and the aholes listed their non-OEM plug as 'OEM spec', to hopefully confuse buyers like me, and I was one of them. Failed to read the entire post, where the manufacturer was listed as 'Dorman' at the bottom. At any rate, are those plugs reliable? Can I expect it not to have any issues in the 5K-mile interval I use? I'm going to buy an original FORD with the 3/8" hole in it, which is the new part number. Are those supposed to be reused, or need to be replaced every time? The aftermarket ones are relatively cheap, but the Ford ones are about twice as much. If they can be safely reused, I'd like to do that at least once, rather than throwing money away at every oil change, if not needed. By they way, I have 1K miles so far, and no leaks yet.

Finally, there are plugs with magnets too. Has anybody bought those? But those plugs are even cheaper than the Dormans, and don't even list a manufacturer, so obviously just Chinese knock-offs. I don't really trust them, but wanted to ask. Oh, and I bought a FiltroMax oil filter magnet, so at least I already have something there, so don't really need a magnetic drain plug anymore. Thank you.
JC
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It will probably be alright, there's not too much to the plastic plugs. Ford's official stance is that you're supposed to replace the plug during every oil change, but after taking mine off carefully by spreading the tabs equally instead of just forcing it off, I would have been perfectly fine reusing it if I hadn't bought another. It's not that fragile. I assume the aftermarket ones are made of a lower grade of plastic with tabs that are more likely to break on removal, but that's about it.

FWIW the one with the 3/8 hole is actually the old one, my new one from the dealer just has a plastic tab/blade and nothing else.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
They're really cheap from the dealer. You probably paid more, ordering from eBay.

Dorman makes many "oem spec" parts. I wouldn't worry.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
but after taking mine off carefully by spreading the tabs equally instead of just forcing it off
Thank you for your input. But I have to say there was nothing to 'spread' on my stock plug. I was expecting those tabs to lock the plug, but they just hit a stop. The locking 'mechanism' is in the channel, which allows the plug to 'spring back' a little at the end. That's the initial resistance you feel when unscrewing it :). I was surprised too that there's no physical lock, but it's not going to go anywhere.
Finally, I checked the part number with Ford, and the plug with the hole is supposedly the latest one, and it shows on parts websites that it's indeed the superseded number. Where did you see that the 'blade' one is the new one??? And yes, my 2019 Bullitt had that one. The one with the hole seems like the safer one IMO. Thanks, brother.

They're really cheap from the dealer. You probably paid more, ordering from eBay. Dorman makes many "oem spec" parts. I wouldn't worry.
Thank you too for the help. They're actually more expensive from parts websites, especially after ridiculous shipping charges. But didn't occur to me to call a dealer; will do that before ordering online. And good to know Dorman is not crap. My worry was more the O-ring than the plastic, but if the 2 'posts' on the plug were to break, the plug would just pop out, so will definitely replace the plug with every oil change. A good quality O-ring (like Butyl) would last more than 1 oil change as well, but we don't know which rubber they're made of, especially the aftermarket ones.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
from a dealer they are like $8 if i recall correctly. I ordered a UPR magnetic drain plug for around $45 that is re-usable. After a few oil changes it'll pay for itself, and it's a better billet magnetic plug.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I researched the UPR and Ronin plugs before buying a replacement, but neither convinced me. First of all, metal could damage the plastic pan, and since I'd remove the plug every time anyway to drain the most old oil, that was a deal-breaker alone. Plus the UPR is super long, doesn't lock, and it's not protected, so it was out. The Ronin requires a separate piece that if you lose you're screwed, so didn't like it either. And since I was able to control oil flow with the stock one perfectly fine, I'll keep it. The only drawback was no magnet, but I slapped one on the oil filter, so it should have the same effect. Bottom like is I'll keep using OEM plugs. It'd take me like 8 oil changes to catch up to one of those, or 40K miles, and doubt I'd keep the car that long anyway. Ha ha.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Of course, my dealer charged me double the cost of what Levittown charges...but then there is that shipping cost to add. I paid $12.50 back in August.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I had no idea you were supposed to completely replace the drain plug every oil change... seems very wasteful. I've done 2 oil changes and re-used the stock one both times. Seems fine.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Besides a crappy way to make a few extra bucks, what is the logic used by Ford to design an oil drain plug that has to be replaced every oil change. The normal threaded plug has been in use for billions of miles.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
lol to fit the plastic oil pan :). I guess we should be happy we don't have to change it also.

Besides a crappy way to make a few extra bucks, what is the logic used by Ford to design an oil drain plug that has to be replaced every oil change. The normal threaded plug has been in use for billions of miles.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I researched the UPR and Ronin plugs before buying a replacement, but neither convinced me. First of all, metal could damage the plastic pan, and since I'd remove the plug every time anyway to drain the most old oil, that was a deal-breaker alone. Plus the UPR is super long, doesn't lock, and it's not protected, so it was out. The Ronin requires a separate piece that if you lose you're screwed, so didn't like it either. And since I was able to control oil flow with the stock one perfectly fine, I'll keep it. The only drawback was no magnet, but I slapped one on the oil filter, so it should have the same effect. Bottom like is I'll keep using OEM plugs. It'd take me like 8 oil changes to catch up to one of those, or 40K miles, and doubt I'd keep the car that long anyway. Ha ha.
hard to believe people would keep buying the UPR if it damaged the pan. s/

my upr is the exact same size and length at the stock one, so idk where your info is from..maybe you found a different UPR one.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/u...ic-tip-mustang-gt-gt350-f150-5-0-3-5-2-7.html

This is the way to go right here. Highly recommend making the switch. Let me know if you have any questions. Lethalperformance.com
this is the one i got, and i recommend it. I've seen nothing but good things about it.

20Magnetic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Toyota Tacoma
I got the UPR plug and it went on just as easy as the factory one came off.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I had no idea you were supposed to completely replace the drain plug every oil change... seems very wasteful. I've done 2 oil changes and re-used the stock one both times. Seems fine.
I'm 58 years old. Always reused oil drain plugs. Never had any issues.
Sponsored