Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to put something from under the car? Like the insulating sleeve material the active exhaust valve wires have. That way no need to take the inside apart. I'm done doing that. Ha ha. All the trim pieces I have removed incurred some damage. The cheap and flimsy plastic gets permanently deformed. It's a little, but enough not to fit like factory again. That happened with the roof console and dash trim to install the GT350 gauges, where the top of the little piece to the right of the glovebox didn't fit flush again. I was able to modify both to fit like factory again, but I wasted more time on that than the entire project. Ha ha. So unless absolutely necessary, not removing any more crap. I haven't felt any undue heat inside my Bullitt, and it's been 100+ lately, so probably not that bad. I remember other cars which felt like if a torch was there. Would like to insulate it more, so if somebody knows where to buy a material like that, and that it'd remain stuck, I'd do it for sure.
IMHO doing something under is even more of a pain in the rear. Applying the insulation would involve removing the stock exhaust and removing the drive shaft to get access to the front of the tunnel. You would most likely also need to unbolt the transmission brace and lower the transmission in order to squeeze your hands in there to apply the material.

It would be easier to invest in some cheap interior panel removal tools and disassemble the center console. Review a few installation videos online that require the removal and or disassembly of the center console (MGW short shift install video).

I have owned 2 S550 5.0's and it appears to me that it is the heat that the headers/down pipes put out when it is hot outside. I have never heard any feedback about the tunnel getting hot from the EcoBoost nor the V-6 cars. I routinely notice this heat in stop and go traffic where there is not any air pushing through the tunnel area. I have also noted the tunnel is putting off heat on extremely hot days driving long distances. This is with either the stock exhaust or a aftermarket cat back exhaust system. Perhaps a transmission cooler scoop and/or insulating the underside of the console would be the only cure.
Sponsored

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Is this a GT only concern? I've driven my EB 10 speed (top down) in 100+ degree temps and never noticed the slightest but if heat coming from the tunnel/center console...

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I feel NO heat in my GT but have a H-pipe and awe axel backs so they must help.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't feel any excessive heat on my Bullitt either. Maybe those who do changed the shifter???

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
I have an x-pipe and it still gets hot. This week at the track I forgot that my phone was in there for one session. When I pulled the phone out it was in shut down / overtemp mode. The other little heat “feature” is that, without fail, after my second session on track the backup camera goes out until later that night. Have never had a day that this did not happen.

Sponsored

RR_S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT PP1, 1995 GT (paper weight)
Very sorry for the necro, but this thread perfectly captured the issue I'm experiencing in my 2018 GT with the MT82. First noticed this about 2 weeks go on a cruise (it's not my DD) and attributed it to time (constant driving on nice roads for ~2 hours straight). However, yesterday took a short trip with the family for ice cream... uncomfortably hot all around the shift boot.

No exaggeration, a plastic water bottle was bath temperature after ~45mins.

Glad I'm not the only one, and this isn't new, but I can't imagine this is normal?

AdrianM1972

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I do track days (GT, MT82, Headers, X pipe, 3" exhaust) and with the AC off, windows down, running between 4000 and 7500 rpm for 20 min during the summer in FL and the center console feels like you could fry an egg on it. I am going to insulate then tunnel and under the console like the OP.
Sponsored