Sponsored

Easiest Subwoofer to Install for A/V Noob?

DrEverettScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP - Magnetic
My premium 9 speaker system has hardly any bass. I'd like to add a subwoofer but have never messed around with car audio before. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My premium 9 speaker system has hardly any bass. I'd like to add a subwoofer but have never messed around with car audio before. Do you guys have any suggestions?
The Rockford Fosgate one's are popular:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P300-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007AQ2W6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468267912&sr=8-1&keywords=rockford+fosgate+subwoofers

I would love to put one in mine but my self imposed six month spending limit on mods has been reached, lol.

Next 6 months planning on one of these and an intercooler.

Terry

OP
OP

DrEverettScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP - Magnetic
Thanks for the link!

So this combines the sub and amp, would I need a channel line output converter to add this to the system or can it just wire right up?

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Easiest would be powered sub and a cheapo Walmart converter.

Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
You have a premium.. so you DO NOT need a line out converter.. you need to grab your signal at the input of the amp.. it is full range and is the BEST place to grab signal

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Mine lasted less than 3 months, dont buy it and look at the reviews for the last 15 years.
I've never had an issue with about 15 installations of these. Maybe they've changed something inside. But I never just plug in an amplifier to power, I always have the battery disconnected, then plug it in, then reconnect the battery. Not doing this often prematurely degrades internal caps in amps.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You have a premium.. so you DO NOT need a line out converter.. you need to grab your signal at the input of the amp.. it is full range and is the BEST place to grab signal
any help on a wiring diagram? I was thinking of adding a mono amp and real subwoofer, but I was concerned about bass roll off if I used the rear speaker wires, even if you caught the signal from the amp, you would still need a convertor no?

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Is the signal flat at that point?
Are the speaker crossovers passive or active?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Is the signal flat at that point?
Are the speaker crossovers passive or active?
On a premium it is much less.. and it is already low level.. there is a little bit of processing.. but not as significant as after the amp.. on the premium systems the crossover is in the amp.. they are set and the processing is in the amp.. thats why on the premium there is not as much processing in the head unit..

I tuen off all processing in the head unit.. the beauty of the Shaker system versus a Sony system is the output is varied behind the radio where the sony system is steady and the amp does all of the volume adjustment..

Anyone that has a premium basically has an equivalent of an aftermarket radio in the car.. the output voltage is 2-3.6 volts and it will NOT clip.. all the way up there is no clipping..

It is also a full range signal.. all the way.. so you do not have to worry about summing channels or any of that garbage... if you have a premium.. grab the input for your aftermarket amp at the input of the factory amp and you will be very pleased

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
On a premium it is much less.. and it is already low level.. there is a little bit of processing.. but not as significant as after the amp.. on the premium systems the crossover is in the amp.. they are set and the processing is in the amp.. thats why on the premium there is not as much processing in the head unit..

I tuen off all processing in the head unit.. the beauty of the Shaker system versus a Sony system is the output is varied behind the radio where the sony system is steady and the amp does all of the volume adjustment..

Anyone that has a premium basically has an equivalent of an aftermarket radio in the car.. the output voltage is 2-3.6 volts and it will NOT clip.. all the way up there is no clipping..

It is also a full range signal.. all the way.. so you do not have to worry about summing channels or any of that garbage... if you have a premium.. grab the input for your aftermarket amp at the input of the factory amp and you will be very pleased
I just ordered the Punch P300-12. Should be here Friday. It has been A LONG time since i did any audio mods in a car. Whn you say "grab you input for your amp at the factory amp", could you please give me a few more details. it would be very helpful as I am going to install my sub this weekend (hopefully).
Is there RCA outs on the factory amp. Isn't the factory amp in the drivers side kick panel? Any details would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I just ordered the Punch P300-12. Should be here Friday. It has been A LONG time since i did any audio mods in a car. Whn you say "grab you input for your amp at the factory amp", could you please give me a few more details. it would be very helpful as I am going to install my sub this weekend (hopefully).
Is there RCA outs on the factory amp. Isn't the factory amp in the drivers side kick panel? Any details would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
I can get you the factory amp input plug diagram.. basically the wires that feed the input of the factory amp will be used for the input of your sub amp

There are no RCA connectors.. but the input to the amp is the equivalent of RCA level.. what you would do is cut the ends off an RCA and solder them onto the input wires.. and you are good to go. I believe the factory amp is on the driver side dash.. I cant remember.. someone else may be able to help with the location of it..

it is a very easy thing to do.. and it provides for the best signal to your amp..

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I can get you the factory amp input plug diagram.. basically the wires that feed the input of the factory amp will be used for the input of your sub amp

There are no RCA connectors.. but the input to the amp is the equivalent of RCA level.. what you would do is cut the ends off an RCA and solder them onto the input wires.. and you are good to go. I believe the factory amp is on the driver side dash.. I cant remember.. someone else may be able to help with the location of it..

it is a very easy thing to do.. and it provides for the best signal to your amp..
you are correct
Sponsored