E85, and Ford Warranty...

Returning_User

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
California Special
So, if you get a tune for E85 on a new Mustang, what happens to your warranty?
I did a quick search but could find nothing.

Losing the Cats with long tube headers seems like a non starter in Virginia now, with their new exhaust noise laws and inspections bullshit.
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I would assume that would void it. But idk for sure. I'm waiting on the tune until boost. Too expensive for the lack of mods I have.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Assume your power train warranty wonā€™t be honored should you experience a catastrophic failure. Itā€™s as simple as that. Maybe you have a dealer that is willing to work with you, but thatā€™s not always the case.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
what happens to your warranty?
Nothing. Your warranty is the same as it was the day you bought the vehicle.

However, any large claims you make on any of powertrain components are most likely going to be denied. For small stuff they may never bother to check, but if you come in needing a new engine they will most definitely check the tune and deny the claim.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
All that can happen is a warranty claim can be denied if they blame the fuel or tune for whatever you are trying to claim. But you can still get warranty work done on anything they don't blame on the tune or fuel. For example, say you're AC stops blowing cold or something. There would be no issue getting it addressed under warranty with e85 and a tune.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Returning_User

Returning_User

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
California Special
I was expecting the bumper to bumper to be OK, and I was more concerned about the powertrain.
Crazy that if you buy a Roush kit and have it installed by the right mechanic, you can get a 36 month warranty...while E85 can give you grief is something breaks.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I was expecting the bumper to bumper to be OK, and I was more concerned about the powertrain.
Crazy that if you buy a Roush kit and have it installed by the right mechanic, you can get a 36 month warranty...while E85 can give you grief is something breaks.
Well with the Roush kit it's still an after market warranty not the original Ford one.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Crazy that if you buy a Roush kit and have it installed by the right mechanic, you can get a 36 month warranty
Probably because they have control over what is being done, thus they feel confident enough to give you a warranty (this being Roush).

Ford doesn't know who's doing your E85 tune or what they have done, so it would be pretty silly to expect them to warranty the powertrain. A simple mis-click or single incorrect value entered in the file by the tuner and boom goes the engine.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
With that logic.

Your E85 tuner should be the one who backs your warranty now.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
With that logic.

Your E85 tuner should be the one who backs your warranty now.
ā€œShouldā€ being the operative word here. An A/V capture of the warranty request call to the tuner would likely crash the servers at Americaā€™s Funniest Videos for the next 10 years straight.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Why would you think they wouldn't ? Like seriously ? You will upload completely new calibration to PCM written by someone who can possibly have no idea what they are doing (from Ford's perspective) and will be using using a fuel that isn't specified in owner's manual.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Why would you think they wouldn't ? Like seriously ? You will upload completely new calibration to PCM written by someone who can possibly have no idea what they are doing (from Ford's perspective) and will be using using a fuel that isn't specified in owner's manual.
This ^

it has nothing to do with power it has to do with unknowns, from ford's point of view if they didn't supply the tune they cannot verify that the engine was being operated within its design limits. With the roush SC kit they know the engine is being operated within its design limits.

If there was interest they'd sell an e85 tune, but the standard 91+ tune is already a low demand item. Most people with mustangs drive them stock, ford has little incentive to offer a tune for an even more niche group of people.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
I'm going to echo what Avalanche said. Your manual and gas fill clearly state E15(max-e). Once you tune and go E85, its warranty over for you. Don't think you can go back to the factory tune if something happens. The techs can see is things were re-written. The dealer will look for any reason not to fix it under warranty. Ask me how I know. LOL
Sponsored