Sponsored

DWS06 In Massachusetts winter for a majority daily driven car

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For what reason? If you don’t want to expose the car to road salt and such, I get that. But to Dan’s point, these cars are quite easy to drive in snow with the proper tires. And they’re loads of fun in empty parking lots 🤭
I agree. Why drive a car that makes you hate life half the year?

And Blizzaks do fine on dry pavement. Around here in winter the pavement is dry probably 98% of the time. They salt the roads like crazy and when it snows the plows are out right away. But it's in parking lots and getting going onto the street and those few bad days where the snow hits right before rush hour when snow tires help a lot.

How easy are they to spin in the dry? Do you find yourself needing to be really careful with the throttle or else they spin? Or can you drive normally and expect them to hold?

Obviously not for hard launches and stuff just like regular driving, merging, accelerating briskly etc.
Around here, when it's winter there's enough salt/chemicals on the road that it's always greasy. Even relatively warm 40 degree days in the middle of winter in a performance car you have to manage the throttle.

But living in Minnesota you get used to that. There are only a few months in the summer when it's 80s and above in the afternoon and summer performance tires will stick like glue. Most of the time it's going to be cool and you have to be conscious of conditions to decide whether the loud pedal should go all the way down.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I agree. Why drive a car that makes you hate life half the year?

And Blizzaks do fine on dry pavement. Around here in winter the pavement is dry probably 98% of the time. They salt the roads like crazy and plows are out right away. But it's in parking lots and getting going onto the street and those few bad days where the snow hits right before rush hour when snow tires help a lot.

Around here, when it's winter there's enough salt/chemicals on the road that it's always greasy. Even relatively warm 40 degree days in the middle of winter in a performance car you have to manage the throttle.

But living in Minnesota you get used to that. There are only a few months in the summer when it's 80s and above in the afternoon and summer performance tires will stick like glue. Most of the time it's going to be cool and you have to be conscious of conditions to decide whether the loud pedal should go all the way down.
Same here, they put so much salt down the asphalt is bright white all winter. Double edged sword, on one hand we rarely have icy spots. Other hand is all that salt ends up on the cars. But it is what it is, I bought my car to enjoy and drive. I’ll just get another toy that will be for good weather only 😁

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yeah the pike is usually clear, my commute is going to be 495 which is typically also clean enough.
Yeah that's should be fine, I commute on rt2 and 495 north up to Lawrence and those are well taken care of. The side roads, not so much but still doable.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I use Blizzak WS90's. The car isn't a primary driver in winter (if its forecasted to be nasty I take the Taurus), so most of the miles I do are dry miles. The tires are definitely mushy above say 40-45F, and you have to be cognizant of that. The tread blocks are squirmy and its easy to spin the tires. But as long as you aren't always blowing them away on every 1-2 shift, I doubt you'd have any issues. On my second season with this set with no abnormal wear.

One thing I have noticed about the WS90 is that they become better and better as the temps fall. Near 0F they feel awesome in the dry. And of course their performance in actual snow is incredibly good.

OP
OP
junits15

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
From MA….I’m a huge fan of DWS06 tires. I ran them on my Audi A7 Quattro and I run them year round on my 2020 GT Convertible w/manual. I had a 65 mile commute a year ago and felt very stable in rain and even light slush during the winter. However, I would not drive a rear wheel drive sports car in snow or ice with any tires, unless it was the only option. If that’s the case definitely get winter tires.
yeah I've heard this a lot but I was pleasantly surprised last winter, it really was not terrible. The way the car is setup makes large impact, I had an old RWD BMW which was great in the snow, largely because of its comparatively low power and high weight. Snow mode in the mustang helps immensely, like truly a night and day difference.

I don't think being RWD is inherently bad in the snow, I think most RWD cars are sports cars with a boatload of power which makes it hard to drive in bad weather.

But you like the DWS06? Whats your other winter car if you dont mind me asking?

Yeah that's should be fine, I commute on rt2 and 495 north up to Lawrence and those are well taken care of. The side roads, not so much but still doable.
Yeah, its only 10 miles on 495, and then a few miles backroads at each end, easy commute all things considered. Do you run A/S in the winter or are you on dedicated snows?

Same here, they put so much salt down the asphalt is bright white all winter. Double edged sword, on one hand we rarely have icy spots. Other hand is all that salt ends up on the cars. But it is what it is, I bought my car to enjoy and drive. I’ll just get another toy that will be for good weather only 😁
They do the exact same thing here, at some point you can't see the lane markers any more. I'll take it over ice though lol. A few car washes keep it in check for the most part.

I use Blizzak WS90's. The car isn't a primary driver in winter (if its forecasted to be nasty I take the Taurus), so most of the miles I do are dry miles. The tires are definitely mushy above say 40-45F, and you have to be cognizant of that. The tread blocks are squirmy and its easy to spin the tires. But as long as you aren't always blowing them away on every 1-2 shift, I doubt you'd have any issues. On my second season with this set with no abnormal wear.

One thing I have noticed about the WS90 is that they become better and better as the temps fall. Near 0F they feel awesome in the dry. And of course their performance in actual snow is incredibly good.
This sounds like how I remember my general altimax tires being, like jelly on warm days but much better on colder days. Thankfully, by the time we hit January it will typically remain below 20 until the end of february and into march.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
A few car washes keep it in check for the most part.
Yep, if the temperature is close to 32F, I’m at the car wash spraying off as much salt as I can on both of our cars. The garage stays above freezing so I don’t have to worry about doors freezing shut or anything like that

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Do you run A/S in the winter or are you on dedicated snows?
I'm on the older version of the top Michelin all-seasons, I think they are the A/S3+ or something like that. They are very good in the rain, decent in snow but I think the DWS06 are a bit more aggressive than these.

20201023_173248_HDR.JPG

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Friendly reminder to anyone worried about corrosion: Car washes, fluid film, and crc marine anti corrosion spray exist and work pretty well. IMO the crc stuff is most durable and protective.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I ran a DWS setup in southeast MA on one of my AWD BMWs and found them to be mediocre in appreciable snow and flaming miserable in icing conditions.

FWIW, I run a square Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 setup on my Mustang in the winter and have been very happy. The caveat is that I take my 4x4 Tacoma with Blizzaks if there's any indication of bad weather.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
@Mach VII those pictures are mental, also for having no sand in the back that’s really impressive. Love seeing these cars out all year round and it gives me confidence in the blizzaks as a serious option

How easy are they to spin in the dry? Do you find yourself needing to be really careful with the throttle or else they spin? Or can you drive normally and expect them to hold?

Obviously not for hard launches and stuff just like regular driving, merging, accelerating briskly etc.
Drive like it's just a 'regular' car and you will have no issues. Dry roads are fine though it is a noisy tire in those conditions and if it's above 40* I would suggest a recalibrate on your braking distance as they become soft and want to slide vs grip in a hard stopping situation. I should mention I'm running a stick shift car and not a daily driver though I can't recall ever not heading out because of weather and I have a Subaru Outback at my disposal (we run Continental CrossContact LX25 A/S tires on it).

Sponsored

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Hey all,

This is a question as old as cars, but I’d like to probe the community for some more up-to-date answers and opinions.

My car current has a square winter setup with Blizzak LM005 tires. They aren’t WS90’s and they aren’t the best snow tire I ever used. But they held up reasonably well in the dry and made for an ok experience in the snow.

I had 140 pounds of sand in the backseat and with that and snow mode the car was acceptable in the snow. Not great, but dependable in anything a typical Mass winter would have.
The Blizzaks didn’t last, the rear tires have some serious tread damage and a large portion of the tread is chunked severely. This is only one season of use.The fronts are fine, I think they’re better suited to an all wheel drive setup where the power/wheel is lower.

I’ve debated switching to DWS06’s either in the front only or all around. Because though the LM005’s were nice in the dry they weren’t perfect. The continentals will definitely be better in dry/wet and let me drive the car hard without loosing their tread

Does anyone run these tires in New England on a majority daily driven car? By that I mean not a “nice days only” car. I want to know they hold up in nasty slush and deep snow. The reason is that if I’m caught at work in a snow storm I want to know if I’ll be able to make it home. I don’t expect to willingly take my car on shitty days but I’m concerned about getting stranded.

Thanks in advance!
Not knowing exactly what kind of driving your doing but Ive been running winter/ summer sets on my previous '03 GT and my current '18 GT and have never had that kind of issues. I live in northern Ohio and we get plenty of dry days and even occasional days into the 50's especially beginning and end of season. One thing I did notice in your post is that none of the tires you mentioned were performance rated, my winter tires have always been performance rated. They do seem to do better in the dry and on warmer days though not as good as summer tires. Its all a matter of driving for the conditions. I'm on my second set of Pirellli Soto Zero 3 tires and have been pleased.

OP
OP
junits15

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Not knowing exactly what kind of driving your doing but Ive been running winter/ summer sets on my previous '03 GT and my current '18 GT and have never had that kind of issues. I live in northern Ohio and we get plenty of dry days and even occasional days into the 50's especially beginning and end of season. One thing I did notice in your post is that none of the tires you mentioned were performance rated, my winter tires have always been performance rated. They do seem to do better in the dry and on warmer days though not as good as summer tires. Its all a matter of driving for the conditions. I'm on my second set of Pirellli Soto Zero 3 tires and have been pleased.
The Blizzak LM005 is Bridgestone's "performace" winter tire. It was very nice in the dry as far as winters go, but it just didn't hold up.

I've seen people say that particular tire is sensitive to alignment, but I don't have a reason to suspect any issues with the alignment. Though I plan to get it checked just to be safe and hopefully save the next set of tires.

Last edited:

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
For OP:
I had the previous generation Conti DWS tires on my Infinity G37 (RWD, 330HP) in Philadelphia and they were fine in light snow, but sketchy enough during days when we'd get 3-5" during day before the commute home before roads fully cleared that I started swapping them for Mich X-ice xi3's Nov-March.

I had a job where 'I'm working remote today, it's going to snow' was not an option unless the site was closed, which was maybe 1-2 times a year.

If the LM005's were only OK, I expect the Conti DWS06+ in heavier snow to be a disappointment.

I had no complaints about the X-Ice xi3's other than road noise and warmer temperature grip. Actually thought the tires were more responsive than the Conti's. No wear issues after 10-12K miles (3 seasons) and passed them on to my G37's new owner. Would expect the same of the X-Ice Snow that replace the xi3.

OP
OP
junits15

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm updating this thread.

I went with Blizzak WS90's, I only replaced the damaged tires as money was tight at the time. I put the WS90's on the rear and the remaining two LM005's on the front.

These tires are perfect, absolutely night and day. The WS90's blow the LM005's out of the water, its not even a competition. I didn't even need to put sand bags in the back seat. The remaining two LM005's on the front make the breaking bad, but its manageable. I suspect they will last another season and a half at which point I'll replace them with WS90's as well.

The car feels stable and secure in deep snow and slush, zero fishtailing when driving carefully. Only issue I still deal with is starting on an incline. I'm able to get out of my driveway which is a small hill. Great tires, I should have bought these to start with. I don't even need snow mode most of the time. They also appear to be holding up perfectly, no chunks missing or other issues with the tread. This is the experience I'm used to with snows.

Thanks to anyone that recommended these!