DWS06 In Massachusetts winter for a majority daily driven car

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
This is interesting. I now live in southern Michigan but have also lived on the East cost. These are night and day driving exeriences, to me. The roads in south Michigan are straight and level - no real hills and very few curves.

In MI I don't hesitate to drive a front wheel drive car with A/S tires year round and have zero problems. I would need to experiment with a 460 HP RWD car here to see how it behaves, but would absolutely try.

On the East coast I have experience driving V-8 cars with RWD in the winter, and I would never go without proper snow tires with a thin width. And they would come off in the Spring after the snow is over - never snow tires over the spring/summer/fall.

Whatever you decide, of course, you need to learn the limits of the vehicle on winter roads, read the surface correctly and not take risks.

I personally will not intentionally drive my Mustang if there is any possibility of salt on the roads. To avoid corrosion. I also try to avoid wet roads for the same reason.

I would reccomend two sets of wheels and tires for you. Dana Pants has good advice!
Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I live out in the Berkshires so even though in MA it is a totally different experience here - colder and more snow typically. I have run Blizzak WS90's on a S550 for the last 7 seasons, they typically last 4 for me without chunking. I have no qualms heading out in snow/ice/blistering cold and have never been let down. I have separate wheels and 'downsized' to 235/50/18's. No added weight unless you count the bike(s) hanging off the back at times.

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_5455.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
lol you cannot predict this weather that reliably.

to be more sincere, the issue is that this isn't realistic in practice, the weather is too hard to predict to the point where you never hit a surprise. I've used a lot of snows before and none of them chunked because it was dry, but this is the most powerful car I've used snows on so idk. This isn't an abnormal use case either, I'm not the only performance car out in the winter. The question is more "how fucked would I be" not "will all season tires perform the same as a snow" I know that isn't the case

DWS is an all season tire, which is what the overwhelming majority of people use in MA during the winter, the reality is most people just suck it up and deal with less traction. Though for most people with FWD cars less traction doesn't mean fishtailing...so idk.

Thank you! This is the kind of response I was hoping to get, you actually live only a few towns away from me.

What have you used in the past?

I ran MP4 A/S on my Edge Sport, which handled light snow and ice very well, and great dry/wet performance. This was a fwd biased AWD vehicle that has another 800lbs plus on the stang though. So not a great comparison.

You mention the Articmaxx. Just go with them!

OP
OP
junits15

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I ran MP4 A/S on my Edge Sport, which handled light snow and ice very well, and great dry/wet performance. This was a fwd biased AWD vehicle that has another 800lbs plus on the stang though. So not a great comparison.

You mention the Articmaxx. Just go with them!

lol I’ve lovingly referred to them as my “jelly roll tires” but those were 17” rims which was like 90% of the reason it was so bad.

Good tires though, seriously impressed with them…this is a good suggestion. However they do not come in 19” no dice :(

@Mach VII those pictures are mental, also for having no sand in the back that’s really impressive. Love seeing these cars out all year round and it gives me confidence in the blizzaks as a serious option

How easy are they to spin in the dry? Do you find yourself needing to be really careful with the throttle or else they spin? Or can you drive normally and expect them to hold?

Obviously not for hard launches and stuff just like regular driving, merging, accelerating briskly etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
junits15

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Umm… I’ve driven most snow tires in actual snow. From memory: blizzak WS60,70,80,90. Michelin Xi3. Nokian Hakka 9 and 10. Some horrible but current production Dunlop and horrible conti. The Altimax, …

as you learned, Blizzaks are financially disastrous and last like 5 minutes.

I’m on hakka 9s at the moment. They have studs. Not recommended for normies.

This video was funny, appreciate you sharing. Do the studs make a noticeable difference you think? Noisy?

Seeming like the answer is clear for a nokian/Blizzak or similar type of tire

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
This video was funny, appreciate you sharing. Do the studs make a noticeable difference you think? Noisy?
You’re Welcome.

Studs are a sizable advantage on side roads and driveways which may have hard ice from freeze thaw cycles.

They are noisy as heck and significantly reduce dry weather performance.

I do a lot of skiing. Otherwise I would never tolerate studs. I put studs on my wife’s car as well and she basically hates it. (Jetta wagon)

OP
OP
junits15

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So a Tesla...
Funny enough I had looked into that a while ago, a base 3 is 3800 pounds and 480 ft-lbs of torque rear wheel drive…sounds familiar right? They have the same issue, but I think the software smooths it all out somehow

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I want to know they hold up in nasty slush and deep snow. The reason is that if I’m caught at work in a snow storm I want to know if I’ll be able to make it home. I don’t expect to willingly take my car on shitty days but I’m concerned about getting stranded.
Those are some of the better all-season tires around, so you'll "get by" but don't expect it to be easy especially in deep deep snow. Slush, ice and a few inches on the ground you will be fine. More than 6 and you're going to struggle.

But when is there ever going to be that much snow on most major paved roads, usually they get things plowed during the day to just a few inches at the most. It really depends on where you are and what roads you take home. I used to live in Brighton and commute on the Pike and those roads were kept up with pretty well. Nowadays living more in the suburbs and the side roads can get pretty deep snow before they are hit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
junits15

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Those are some of the better all-season tires around, so you'll "get by" but don't expect it to be easy especially in deep deep snow. Slush, ice and a few inches on the ground you will be fine. More than 6 and you're going to struggle.

But when is there ever going to be that much snow on most major paved roads, usually they get things plowed during the day to just a few inches at the most. It really depends on where you are and what roads you take home. I used to live in Brighton and commute on the Pike and those roads were kept up with pretty well. Nowadays living more in the suburbs and the side roads can get pretty deep snow before they are hit.

This is kind of what I expected from an all season tire in the winter.

Yeah the pike is usually clear, my commute is going to be 495 which is typically also clean enough.

I’m gonna keep it as an option but after hearing what some of these other guys said it seems like the obvious choice is a Blizzak or similar tire

Stevo59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP1 Convertible
From MA….I’m a huge fan of DWS06 tires. I ran them on my Audi A7 Quattro and I run them year round on my 2020 GT Convertible w/manual. I had a 65 mile commute a year ago and felt very stable in rain and even light slush during the winter. However, I would not drive a rear wheel drive sports car in snow or ice with any tires, unless it was the only option. If that’s the case definitely get winter tires.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
However, I would not drive a rear wheel drive sports car in snow or ice with any tires, unless it was the only option. If that’s the case definitely get winter tires.
I suppose it's what you are comfortable with. These mustangs with TC and advance track are very easy to drive in snow and ice.

I was driving 440 road runners and 396 Novas on snow and ice covered roads in Wi on skinny bias ply tires. I personally never had any issues except for sometimes having to feather the clutch to get started on hills. These modern A/S tires are infinitely better than the old tires.

If I lived where they don't plow the roads I'd think about dedicated winter tires.

Be safe and drive within your ability.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
However, I would not drive a rear wheel drive sports car in snow or ice with any tires, unless it was the only option. If that’s the case definitely get winter tires.
For what reason? If you don’t want to expose the car to road salt and such, I get that. But to Dan’s point, these cars are quite easy to drive in snow with the proper tires. And they’re loads of fun in empty parking lots 🤭

Stevo59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP1 Convertible
For what reason? If you don’t want to expose the car to road salt and such, I get that. But to Dan’s point, these cars are quite easy to drive in snow with the proper tires. And they’re loads of fun in empty parking lots 🤭
Just personal comfort level and preference. Obviously, people have been driving all sorts of rear wheel drive vehicles in snow for more than a century. I bought my GT Convertible as a fair weather sports car and I’m fortunate to have the option to drive an AWD vehicle year round.

But, to your other point about salt, I am trying to keep the rust away.
Sponsored