Durability of gt350 half shafts?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
It might be just the cold pavement this time of year but I am not getting any wheel hop since installing the driver's side GT350 axle. Before, it would hop on the 1-2 shift in drag mode. Now, it breaks the tires loose but the wheelspin is smooth and steady. I wonder if the heavier axle could have anything to do with that.
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
It might be just the cold pavement this time of year but I am not getting any wheel hop since installing the driver's side GT350 axle. Before, it would hop on the 1-2 shift in drag mode. Now, it breaks the tires loose but the wheelspin is smooth and steady. I wonder if the heavier axle could have anything to do with that.

The extra weight of axle might help.

On my 2015, I did a number of suspension upgrades and I didn't have wheel hop on the street after that. But I still had it at the track with street tires. But on slicks I didn't have it period.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The extra weight of axle might help.

On my 2015, I did a number of suspension upgrades and I didn't have wheel hop on the street after that. But I still had it at the track with street tires. But on slicks I didn't have it period.
Yeah, my experience was similar although I still had a bit of hop on the street. There is a pretty significant difference in weight between the driver's and passenger side axles with the 350 shaft on the driver's side. I thought maybe the unequal weight might reduce the hop. It is probably just because the pavement is cold and it will spin street tires so easily.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My understanding is the different weights helps eliminate the hop, harmonics and stuff.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Can you reuse the axle nut or do you need to buy a new one?

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought a set of GT350 axles for my FBO 3.7. The plan is go FI in the near future. Figured I'd replace them (price really can't be beat) when I drop the 3.55 pumpkin and drop it off to get the 3.73's installed, since the old ones have to come out anyway. I'm dropping the transmission and ditching the dual mass flywheel anyway so mine as well do it all at the same time since exhaust and driveshaft need to come out.

While I can't comment on wheel hop at the track - I run Steeda braces and bias ply tires (MT82) - the Steeda braces pretty much eliminated wheel hop on the BFG 275/40/19 tires on the street. It's just a 3.7, but it wheel hopped bad before the braces. Now it just spins 'em.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@ctandc72

Ya when I had my v6 those steeda braces fixed my wheel hop all on their own. Now I cant seem to get this gt to stop hopping, even in the rain!

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Some great info on this thread. Saved me from spending $1000+ on axles.

I plan to buy 1 gt350 axle for my driver side on my 2018 auto car.

Havent broken one yet, but with 900+ hp, its a matter of time.

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
@ctandc72

Ya when I had my v6 those steeda braces fixed my wheel hop all on their own. Now I cant seem to get this gt to stop hopping, even in the rain!
You have to go full hard mount or very close to it. Lower control arm and toe link bearings are the 2 items a lot of people skip...mainly because you have to completely remove your rear lower arms and rear knuckles to have the stock rubber bushings pressed out and the bearings pressed in. Bottom line, you will never get rid of all the hop without doing those among other things such as vertical links, camber arms, locking down the sub frame to the car and the diff to the sub frame. There is a rubber bushing at every one of those junctions which all contribute to the hop.

Sponsored

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Anybody with boost break a gt350 half shaft? I'm making over 700hp and around 590-600lbs of tq on a good day lol. I can't see myself paying damn near 2 grand for some halfshafts. I don't track the car but I want to put a good tire on the car, so I can at least feel what second gear feels like without breaking anything.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
You have to go full hard mount or very close to it. Lower control arm and toe link bearings are the 2 items a lot of people skip...mainly because you have to completely remove your rear lower arms and rear knuckles to have the stock rubber bushings pressed out and the bearings pressed in. Bottom line, you will never get rid of all the hop without doing those among other things such as vertical links, camber arms, locking down the sub frame to the car and the diff to the sub frame. There is a rubber bushing at every one of those junctions which all contribute to the hop.
You do NOT have to remove the rear knuckle to replace the knuckle to toe link rubber bushing with a bearing. The Ford Performance instructions show the use of a ball joint press (C-clamp style) to remove the bushing and to replace with a bearing. It saves a lot of time.

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
You do NOT have to remove the rear knuckle to replace the knuckle to toe link rubber bushing with a bearing. The Ford Performance instructions show the use of a ball joint press (C-clamp style) to remove the bushing and to replace with a bearing. It saves a lot of time.
True, but if you're doing the rear lower control arm bearings you have to remove the knuckles anyway, at that point you might as well do the toe bearings on a press.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
@ctandc72

Tires, tires, tires. Many AS tires have absolutely terrible hop regardless of mods.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
So far so good with the drivers only 350 shaft here. Dyno'd 643 rwhp, ran into the 11s at the track, but I previously only had a 255 Nitto so I had to limit power in 1st gear, with a best 60'of 1.89. I now have 305's and am going to turn up the power in 1st and see if I can get into the 10's, and 1.6-7 60'. I feel pretty confident the 350 axle will suffice, but we shall see.
Sponsored