Sponsored

Dumb Question Thursday: How do I stop the loud start?

Gregger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gregfmoore.com
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I picked up my 350 about 2 months ago and the original owner had done the resonator delete. When I start it it sounds like it's in open (loud) mode and then it gets quieter (like the valve shut). Normal?

I love the sound, don't get me wrong. I'd just like to drive it places before my kids get up. lol
Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Turn the power on without your foot on the clutch and let the valves cycle first. Alternatively if you clutch it in before pressing anything it will cycle the valves. Then hit the start.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Of course the question is "why would you want to?!" but I get it - it can be pretty disruptive. I personally LOVE the startup noise, but my garage is detached.

What you're hearing is the exhaust valves running through a test cycle upon startup. To avoid the noise, press the Start button without declutching. The valves will cycle as the car turns on. Then declutch, press start again to fire the engine, and it should do so in quiet mode.

OP
OP

Gregger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gregfmoore.com
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Of course the question is "why would you want to?!" but I get it - it can be pretty disruptive. I personally LOVE the startup noise, but my garage is detached.

What you're hearing is the exhaust valves running through a test cycle upon startup. To avoid the noise, press the Start button without declutching. The valves will cycle as the car turns on. Then declutch, press start again to fire the engine, and it should do so in quiet mode.
The question only exists because my kids rooms are above the garage. :)

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
There is the normal valve cycle that happens when you push the clutch, however the car does stop the valves in a partial open position and then does a cycle to closed once the engine starts. The easiest way to avoid this is the AWE tuning exhaust module, which gives you total control over the valves.

Pros: Full open cold starts; because they sound awesome
Full closed cold starts
No valve opening when you go above 1/3-1/2 throttle
No closing in 6th gear
Valves will stay open for 10 mins after the vehicle is turned off
Super fast and easy install, easily reversible

Cons: valve opening and closing is no longer controllable though switching drive modes or the toggle on the center stack. You have to use the provided remote.

I had it on my car and I loved it. Using the remote takes a little getting used to. I just mounted it on the center console to the right of the shifter so it was out of the way but still easily reachable.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Depressing the clutch OR turning on accessory mode will trigger the valve check process. Either or is fine. You'll hear the valves actuating (sound like clicks). After you don't hear anymore noises, you're good. The valve check takes at longest 2 seconds. When I get into my car when I want to be discrete, I depress the clutch once and wait for spaceship noises to stop.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
There is the normal valve cycle that happens when you push the clutch, however the car does stop the valves in a partial open position and then does a cycle to closed once the engine starts.
Mike nailed it... the valves NEVER completely close for a totally quiet cold start. Do what nastang87xx said and your start will make it as quiet as you can get it. After about 30 seconds of idle, the valves close.

My neighbors house is next to my side entry garage... in order to be polite in the morning, I keep the garage door closed, try to use the quite start mode, let the car idle until I feel sleepy, then open the garage door and leave.

California Prop 65 Disclaimer
If you really need California to warn you not to do what I just typed in the second paragraph, please sell your internal combustion engine and buy a Leaf.

Last edited:

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Mike nailed it... the valves NEVER completely close for a totally quiet cold start. Do what nastang87xx said and your start will make it as quiet as you can get it. After about 30 seconds of idle, the valves close.

My neighbors house is next to my side entry garage... in order to be polite in the morning, I keep the garage door closed, try to use the quite start mode, let the car idle until I feel sleepy, then open the garage door and leave.

California Prop 65 Disclaimer
If you really need California to warn you not to do what I just typed in the second paragraph, please sell your internal combustion engine and buy a Leaf.
Ha! I do the same thing. I'm in a town house and if I leave anytime before 8, I start the car with the door closed then open it right away. Cold start is pretty loud no matter what in my opinion.

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
the AWE tuning exhaust module
+1 on the AWE. I only ever want it full open or full closed.

The most annoying thing about the factory setup to me was how it seemed to partially close up at certain times while in sport mode, and the AWE put a stop to that. I appreciate what the computer is doing, it's just not for me.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
That made me laugh!! I'm sure it shakes the house when she starts up with the door closed...
Sponsored