Dumb question...Coyote gen 1 vs. gen 2

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
When it comes to the 5.0 Coyote, what exactly are the differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 other than the intake manifold? Wondering if the intake manifold is the only diff? I'm not as familiar with the gen 2. I am assuming so as I have seen the VMP manifold shootout on YouTube many, many times. LOL
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not really a dumb question. But no, the intake manifold isn't the only change. Gen 2 has different heads with larger valves, different camshafts with a more aggressive lift profile, VVT changes, valve springs, head bolts, and the rods were upgraded as well. That's why they're the boost masters compared to Gen 1.

Gen 3 goes a step further with added direct injection, further manifold improvements, additional cooling passages through the block and heads, and...new heads again with even more flow.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Gen 2 improved the Coyote much more and I am glad I have the 16 GT not a Gen 1.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Gen 3 is also the first Ford "5.0" that actually does have a 5 liter displacement.

Sponsored

Armageddon Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo 2014 Mustang GT
It's not really a dumb question. But no, the intake manifold isn't the only change. Gen 2 has different heads with larger valves, different camshafts with a more aggressive lift profile, VVT changes, valve springs, head bolts, and the rods were upgraded as well. That's why they're the boost masters compared to Gen 1.

Gen 3 goes a step further with added direct injection, further manifold improvements, additional cooling passages through the block and heads, and...new heads again with even more flow.

This is the correct answer.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Gen 3 is also the first Ford "5.0" that actually does have a 5 liter displacement.
Heh . . . the thing is that when you look at the "5.0" number as the limit on engine displacement going back to the original Trans-Am racing class, the older engines fit that definition while the new one does not. Under 5.0 L was one of two Trans-Am classes, the other one was under 2.0 L. Worked out particularly well for Ford and Chevy both, with easy paths to high-revving 4" bore/3" stroke combinations.

Norm

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, but not sure it was worth the 'bump' by replacing the steel cylinder liners, with the plasma coated ones. At least in 2018, there were a lot of issues with that, especially excessive oil consumption.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Yeah, but not sure it was worth the 'bump' by replacing the steel cylinder liners, with the plasma coated ones. At least in 2018, there were a lot of issues with that, especially excessive oil consumption.
WUT? False news Buddy...