Sponsored

Dual fans or Upgraded HE (Whipple 2.9)

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Did some searching and didnt find anything of use, but curious those that went from a dual fan setup to the larger Whipple rad...what were the pros and cons? Any reason to keep the dual fan setup over just the larger unit?
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't live in a hot climate where you have to sit in traffic not moving for extended periods of time, then the oversized one is the way to go.

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
Oversized is always the best way to go. It has much more capacity to deal with heat soak. The dual fans are actually impeding airflow while moving over 20-30mph anyways. Go with the simpler oversized heat exchanger.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I just picked one up. The unit is Gi-normous. Comparing it to the VMP triple pass I had on my 14 GT setup the calculations indicate more heat removal potential. While the VMP unit is wider, the depth of the Whipple is 3.5 vice 2 inches a 75% thicker unit and 16" tall vice VMP's 13" inches. Overall in cubic inches of heat removal area the Whipple calculates at 1232 inches^3 vs. the VMP's 742 inches ^3. That is 67% more area for heat dissipation.

I look forward to seeing how the dual pass Whipple OS HE will function w/o fans compared to the VMP with the same exact size recirc pump. I'm just not sold on the fan concept after my experience with my VMP triple pass unit. Not knocking it or the good people at VMP, however I am curious to see if there will be any comparable difference between the two designs. Once comparisons are completed I then plan to purchase a higher flowing recirc pump as surface area and flow are the key ingredients to heat removal in an IC system.

I was seeking to buy the triple pass without fans as VMP offers the unit that way in their base 2.65 kit. Sadly they will not sell it alone without the fans. I seek to be more stealthy (not to mention less current draw on the electrical system of this S550 already over-baked with electronic gadgets to begin with) so I was looking for a non fan HE option to improve heat removal on the IC system for my 2300 TVS setup.

Will be happy to report findings back as soon as the weather warms up and I have a few dry warm days to pull the nose off in the driveway and swap this unit in. Who am I kidding? I turn wrenches for a living so I'll likely pay someone to do it these days since I am an absolute lazy ass with no garage to do it in. LOL!

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
^ Jealous of the LTR. I almost bought that one too. Very tempting, but ultimately I couldn’t convince myself too because I couldn’t find any info on the size compared to the VMP triple pass. Great info comparing the two. My understanding is the flow is much better through the Whipple LTR as well, so that should really help out with the stock pump. I whole heartedly agree with trying to limit the strain on the electrical... even more so if you’ve stepped up to a twin or triple hat from Fore.

Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I've got the oversized HE on mine.
My recommendation is that if you go to the dragstrip or sit in traffic regularly, get the fan setup. Stoplights and staging lanes heat soak the system.
If you roll race and don't have to deal with traffic, get the oversize HE.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I've got the oversized HE on mine.
My recommendation is that if you go to the dragstrip or sit in traffic regularly, get the fan setup. Stoplights and staging lanes heat soak the system.
If you roll race and don't have to deal with traffic, get the oversize HE.
Anything will be an improvement over the stock POS HE's that are provided with most PD kits...Whipple and VMP seeming to be two of the few that offer decent standard units with upgrading options on HE's. IAT's can only improve over the flimsy 1" think single pass unit. Always nice to try out different setups. I'm not looking to put a lot of money in this car, just make it a little better than when I picked it up with the TVS package that is on it. Chances are I will be selling it before long. The car is okay but I don't find myself wanting to jump in it and go driving for the afternoon like I did in previous cars. I think my heart strings are being tugged to go back to a stick shift car in spite of the slower ET's compared to the 6R80 and 10R80 results.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
By chance does anyone with the bigger HE have adaptive cruise control? Does it fit???

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Thank you for the feedback everyone, its much appreciated.
Sponsored