Sponsored

DSS vs QA1 — Back to Back!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I decided to keep this thread very short and to the point…

PSA- Do yourself a favor; save your money and get the QA1.

*Edit*

Sorry guys...got in a hurry. Reply added below and here for your convenience...

Fitment - the DSS being one piece (no adaptor like the QA1) seems nice, but makes installation challenging. You gotta get the universal up past the tranny shaft so that you can get the adaptor into the pinion on the axle end. Not impossible, but you gotta find just the right spot or it won't go. The QA1 slides right in. Put the adaptor in the pinion and the shaft just goes right up in there. (Removing the DSS for this reason was a PITA)

Hardware - QA1 comes with everything nicely labeled and marked. New, complete hardware for both ends. Great instructions, torque specs, the whole bit. The DSS not so much. Came with no instructions, no specs, and an incomplete bag of (nice) bolts only for the pinion end.

Performance - I never really expected much of a difference in driving, much less a night and day difference...but night and day was what I got. Much smoother almost everywhere. I didn't really consider my DSS to "vibrate", per se. I wrote it off as feedback from the carbon, and single piece shaft. I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, my DSS didn't feedback to the point it was annoying or seemed like a problem (I could see out my mirrors, LOL), but still...wow. Smooth as glass now, everywhere.

That smoothness amplifies the perceived performance increases of the carbon shaft in the first place. I've tried to differentiate between the placebo of the two brands and not overstate that there is actually a performance difference between the two, but that change/increase in smoothness sure does play into it.

Why did I change in the first place? Got a descent deal on a QA1 from Weir Racing. I had always wanted the QA1, but Lethal had a black Friday sale that was tooooo good to pass up at the time. Lesson learned.

I will say this...on the workbench, the DSS is just as pretty. The carbon, the end joints, everything seems to be every bit on par with the QA1. No nod either direction in appearance or 'perceived' quality.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps we could have a few words as to why you came to that conclusion?

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I have a QA1 but yes I’d also like to know…

Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Never thought I'd see clickbait on here

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
DSS CF driveshaft is mid quality. QA1 is absolutely top tier. I've had two QA1 CF DS. Put them in a 12 Boss and an 16 HC Challenger. You pay for it but it's the best.

QA1.jpg

QA2.jpg

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hmm yes I see your point you're correct in your opinion and this should just be accepted across the forum no questions asked of you. r/sarcasm

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
What's wrong with stock?
CF DS allows the engine to achieve quicker revs to redline due to the lower rotational weight of the CF DS vs the stock. I personally felt like it was one of the best mods I did on my 12 Boss.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Okaayyy fiinneee...LOL ;) That's fair! Here we go...

Fitment - the DSS being one piece (no adaptor like the QA1) seems nice, but makes installation challenging. You gotta get the universal up past the tranny shaft so that you can get the adaptor into the pinion on the axle end. Not impossible, but you gotta find just the right spot or it won't go. The QA1 slides right in. Put the adaptor in the pinion and the shaft just goes right up in there. (Removing the DSS for this reason was a PITA)

Hardware - QA1 comes with everything nicely labeled and marked. New, complete hardware for both ends. Great instructions, torque specs, the whole bit. The DSS not so much. Came with no instructions, no specs, and an incomplete bag of (nice) bolts only for the pinion end.

Performance - I never really expected much of a difference in driving, much less a night and day difference...but night and day was what I got. Much smoother almost everywhere. I didn't really consider my DSS to "vibrate", per se. I wrote it off as feedback from the carbon, and single piece shaft. I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, my DSS didn't feedback to the point it was annoying or seemed like a problem (I could see out my mirrors, LOL), but still...wow. Smooth as glass now, everywhere.

That smoothness amplifies the perceived performance increases of the carbon shaft in the first place. I've tried to differentiate between the placebo of the two brands and not overstate that there is actually a performance difference between the two, but that change/increase in smoothness sure does play into it.

Why did I change in the first place? Got a descent deal on a QA1 from Weir Racing. I had always wanted the QA1, but Lethal had a black Friday sale that was tooooo good to pass up at the time. Lesson learned.

I will say this...on the workbench, the DSS is just as pretty. The carbon, the end joints, everything seems to be every bit on par with the QA1. No nod either direction in appearance or 'perceived' quality.

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I’m left a bit confused after reading the first paragraph of your write up. You say the DSS has no adapter like the QA1 but then you say.

“You gotta get the universal up past the tranny shaft so that you can get the adaptor into the pinion on the axle end.”

Can you clarify please? Thx

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What's wrong with stock?
Nothing. Strong AF. Most of the mass is along its center line as compared to aftermarket DS which has most of the weight to outside, so I highly doubt one is gaining much... Except a lighter wallet.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
It's good you added the extra info but as far as I knew, DSS making sub-par driveshafts seemed to be pretty common. They'd do fine every now and then but there was a lot of reported QC issues. One member here had the aluminum piece that bolts to the pinion machined improperly and wasn't even flat on its faces, checked by an independent machinist. That's amateur stuff in this business.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Even if you discount the weight savings (which are undeniable) and the rotational benefits of a CF shaft,

The reason to go CF once you get to high HP is safety. There's a reason all the big boys are running CF in many/most classes now, because WHEN the shaft goes, it generally explodes into splinters and doesn't turn into a giant 30 lb club that beats your car to death.

The only real advantage (other than saving money and time) with sticking with OEM is the 2 piece has a very high critical (and half critical) speed, given the nature of the longer shafts with modern short transmissions. With a typical long (tail section) trans, the shafts are shorter and so the critical speed issue pretty much goes away (for typical materials and diameters).

QA-1 is an awesome company. They're based in MN so they have partnership/relationship with 3M. Their process for laying CF is more difficult and expensive and more importantly, they way they do their ends. Their quality control and testing is top of the industry. If you want the absolute best, they're the answer (and their price reflects that).

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’m left a bit confused after reading the first paragraph of your write up. You say the DSS has no adapter like the QA1 but then you say.

“You gotta get the universal up past the tranny shaft so that you can get the adaptor into the pinion on the axle end.”

Can you clarify please? Thx
Aahhh, sorry. The DSS has the flange that mates directly to the pinion cup on the axle. But that cup is just that, recessed. So it makes it a challenge to get the flange over and down in the pinion mount. The QA1 has an adaptor about 1.5" thick that mounts in that pinion mount. Then the flange on the shaft connects to that. It just slides right up in place.
Sponsored