DSC Sport Magneride suspension controller review

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'm a bit swamped right now, but I can chime in at some point.

The damper mapping has a pronounced effect on the car. To this point, I can't beat Ford on normal street driving, but I feel I've got them covered when it comes to anything on track.

If you have any questions, ask away.
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I'm a bit swamped right now, but I can chime in at some point.

The damper mapping has a pronounced effect on the car. To this point, I can't beat Ford on normal street driving, but I feel I've got them covered when it comes to anything on track.

If you have any questions, ask away.
Iā€™d be interested in acquiring a DSC Sport unit for my Shelby presuming thereā€™s a reasonable level of optimism for support, coaching and information sharing. My main area of interest is in on-track improvements.

If you own one, weigh in. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Thanks all.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other consideration Iā€™ve come across: Are the MR dampers in the GT350 really up to the task? Specifically, will they hold up to what the controller asks of them under track use? Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m on board if Iā€™m gonna need to upgrade to the $7000 Tractive coilovers after the Ford parts begin to degrade.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
1. I think your first question is necessary for most people and yes it's available.

2. You next question is one that I can only partially answer. Ultimately, though, I think it's going to depend on your goals.

I'm confident the stock Magneride dampers are 'good enough' for any spring which is presently made for the stock locations. All the Mustang & GT350 Magneride shocks/struts are the same. The GT350R & GT500 both use a version of the same units that has different internals which allows for higher damping forces. I'm presently converting a pair of 350R struts to a 'coil-over' type body so I can run racing springs instead of standard automotive springs. The higher damping forces will likely be necessary for the stiffer springs I intend to run.

Will these be a low-buck equivalent to the Tractive dampers? Not really. They won't produce force in the same way a real racing damper does & I do not expect the Magnerides to compete in pure performance or lap time. Also, Magnerides are heavy as hell. My real goal is to have the option of running whatever spring rate & ride height combo I want with reasonable damping both on the street & on track.

I think where the Magnerides shine is for the guy that wants his car to have reasonable manners on the street while providing much better chassis control of stock or stiffer-than-stock springs while autocrossing or tracking the car. They also give the opportunity to adjust the balance of the car through a corner, which is a very useful chassis tuning tool. No longer do you have to make a compromise between the difference phases of the corner. You can have the dampers adjust moment by moment to address the handling balance, which is damned useful.

If I were looking for pure racetrack speed & money was a big concern, I'd probably use Ohlins adjustables. If money were not an factor, I might be tempted to try the Tractives. I think the niche for the Magnerides is a car that sees a lot of road mileage, but some autocross or track day time as well.

The DSC Controller programming is oriented around handling with only a few relatively unsophisticated nods towards ride control. Because of this, I can't match the stock controller on the freeway. They can ramp damping in & out in way that just is not available with the DSC. Because of this, I have to use a baseline damping level which is higher than stock. It's not crazy stiff or anything, but you'll feel a difference right away.

Where I can see my biggest effect is on the handling side of things. First, I am using higher peak damping forces than Ford uses, and I'm ramping it in/out in a way that tries to reduce instability and understeer issues. I've been using the DSC for about a year and have spent that time trying to understand how it works & how I can use it to reduce the problems I'm having. At this point I am pretty comfortable tuning balance one way or the other & tuning various portions of the corner independently.

The long & the short of it is this. While not perfect or the ultimate in performance, I think the DSC/Magneride combo is a good double-duty option that you'd be hard pressed to match in terms of performance/$ with the other options.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm confident the stock Magneride dampers are 'good enough' for any spring which is presently made for the stock locations. All the Mustang & GT350 Magneride shocks/struts are the same. The GT350R & GT500 both use a version of the same units that has different internals which allows for higher damping forces.
Will these be a low-buck equivalent to the Tractive dampers? Not really. They won't produce force in the same way a real racing damper does & I do not expect the Magnerides to compete in pure performance or lap time.
Thanks for addressing this. Thatā€™s a big part of what Iā€™m trying to assess. Are the stock GT350 (non-R) dampers good enough. Iā€™ll go with yes, for now, for what Iā€™m trying to accomplish.

I think where the Magnerides shine is for the guy that wants his car to have reasonable manners on the street while providing much better chassis control of stock or stiffer-than-stock springs while autocrossing or tracking the car. They also give the opportunity to adjust the balance of the car through a corner, which is a very useful chassis tuning tool. No longer do you have to make a compromise between the difference phases of the corner. You can have the dampers adjust moment by moment to address the handling balance, which is damned useful.

If I were looking for pure racetrack speed & money was a big concern, I'd probably use Ohlins adjustables. If money were not an factor, I might be tempted to try the Tractives. I think the niche for the Magnerides is a car that sees a lot of road mileage, but some autocross or track day time as well.

The DSC Controller programming is oriented around handling with only a few relatively unsophisticated nods towards ride control. Because of this, I can't match the stock controller on the freeway. They can ramp damping in & out in way that just is not available with the DSC. Because of this, I have to use a baseline damping level which is higher than stock. It's not crazy stiff or anything, but you'll feel a difference right away.

Where I can see my biggest effect is on the handling side of things. First, I am using higher peak damping forces than Ford uses, and I'm ramping it in/out in a way that tries to reduce instability and understeer issues. I've been using the DSC for about a year and have spent that time trying to understand how it works & how I can use it to reduce the problems I'm having. At this point I am pretty comfortable tuning balance one way or the other & tuning various portions of the corner independently.

The long & the short of it is this. While not perfect or the ultimate in performance, I think the DSC/Magneride combo is a good double-duty option that you'd be hard pressed to match in terms of performance/$ with the other options.
And it sounds like the DSC controller may be a good fit for a dual purpose car like mine.

Goal
While I want to keep the car streetable, my main goals are around making it safe, fun and fast at the track. It will be a dual purpose car with the bias being toward on-track performance. I plan to drive it to/from events, but wonā€™t be using it for date nights so handling will take precedence over ride. Though I donā€™t currently have plans to compete in this car, Iā€™d love to make it surprisingly quick. Iā€™m really drawing the line at changes that increase maintenance or diminish reliability.

Current
While I have lots of track days under my belt, Iā€™ve only just gotten started with the Shelby. At the first event (Road Atlanta) I was pleased with the handling in most respects, but found substantial room for improvement in others. Specifically, I found some rear instability under heavy braking that needs attention and corner entry understeer. For my next outing Iā€™ve replaced quite a few of the OE bushings in an effort to remove excess compliance and diminish alignment changes under load. Iā€™ve also added more easily manageable camber and toe adjustments than OE. Really all this is aimed at getting and maintaining the alignment settings I want.

Upcoming
  • Event #2 also at Road Atlanta - August 14-15
    • evaluate suspension changes and acclimate to the safety changes
    • refine alignment settings based on hot pressures and tire temps
    • get GoPro and TrackAddict up and running for light data acquisition
  • Events #3 & #4 at Carolina Motorsports Park and back at Road Atl in October and November
    • reach some conclusions about springs, dampers and swaybars
    • continue refining alignment
  • Offseason
    • move to a square setup (19 x 11, 305-30-19)
    • likely still on 200TW tires
    • Install whatever additional suspension changes are needed
  • 2022 Season
    • 6 events - 2-3 days each, track days and instructing
    • get back to VIR and Roebling Road
    • small track rig - not trailering so limited space for spares and tools
    • light maintenance between events - fluids, brakes, tires, nut & bolt
    • (almost) all fun, no work

Where you all come in
Right now the biggest decision is whether to go with the DSC controller, traditional coilovers or just stay with a more factory arrangement. It seems like the DSC may be a fit for my goals. Iā€™m planning to use #3 and #4 events to drive the decision-making process.

Iā€˜m still eager to get a feel from the community around the appetite for file sharing around DSC, but if itā€™s not there it may not be deal breaker. Truthfully, weā€™d all rather have a small library of high quality tunes that work than hundreds of junk files to sift through.

Like most, track time is my most limited resource, so planning and the ability to draw on the expertise of others is key. With the help of the 6G community, I think I can put myself in position to make the Shelby surprisingly quick without completely ruining the transit experience.

Iā€™d really like to hear your thoughts on my approach.

Sponsored

Pparana

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
1. I think your first question is necessary for most people and yes it's available.

2. You next question is one that I can only partially answer. Ultimately, though, I think it's going to depend on your goals.

I'm confident the stock Magneride dampers are 'good enough' for any spring which is presently made for the stock locations. All the Mustang & GT350 Magneride shocks/struts are the same. The GT350R & GT500 both use a version of the same units that has different internals which allows for higher damping forces. I'm presently converting a pair of 350R struts to a 'coil-over' type body so I can run racing springs instead of standard automotive springs. The higher damping forces will likely be necessary for the stiffer springs I intend to run.

Will these be a low-buck equivalent to the Tractive dampers? Not really. They won't produce force in the same way a real racing damper does & I do not expect the Magnerides to compete in pure performance or lap time. Also, Magnerides are heavy as hell. My real goal is to have the option of running whatever spring rate & ride height combo I want with reasonable damping both on the street & on track.

I'd buy a set of coil over conversions for gt350r w magna ride and or chip in on dev. Costs.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I'd buy a set of coil over conversions for gt350r w magna ride and or chip in on dev. Costs.
Let's see how it works. I've been swamped with work lately (& will be until the end of August) & given it much attention. I'll give my Mad Russian machinist a call today if l can.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let's see how it works. I've been swamped with work lately (& will be until the end of August) & given it much attention. I'll give my Mad Russian machinist a call today if l can.
Thanks. Iā€™ll do my part by driving the snot out of the OE stuff this weekend and bringing back a wish list of handling improvements. šŸ˜

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
REPOSTED for any who may be watching this bread for the promised update:

OK kids, I set out to make the car handle better on track (cornering, forward grip and stability under braking) while keeping it sporty but pleasant on the way to/from the track. Hereā€™s what I tried. 2019 GT350 modified as follows:

OE magneride dampers, springs & anti roll bars

Tires/wheels

• Goodyear Super Cup 3 - 220 TW
  • Front: 295/30/19 on OE 19x10.5 wheels
  • Rear: 305/30/19 on OE 19X11 wheels
Front Suspension
  • Camber bolts
  • Camber plates (installed before prior event, yielding -2.5)
  • Lower control arms - monoball
Rear Suspension
  • Adjustable Toe Arms
  • Adjustable Camber Arms
  • Lower control arms - monoball
  • Subframe Bushing Support kit
  • IRS alignment kit
Chassis
  • Front Subframe Support Brace
  • Rear IRS Subframe Support Braces
Alignment
  • LF -2.9 RF - 2.9
  • 1/32ā€ toe out in front
  • LR -1.9 RR -1.9
  • 1/16ā€ toe in rear

ā€œTestā€ results & observations
  • Saturday
    • sessions were run with the above equipment but without DSC Sport to establish a baseline.
    • weather was typical summer in the south (mid-90ā€™s with pop up showers mixed in)
    • all the suspension work really helped, cutting about 1.5 seconds off my previous best lap time
    • laps were more repeatable and speed came easier
    • tire wear on the front was about even outside, center & inside, mostly same for tire temps
  • Sunday
    • dropped the DSC Sport module in; install was quick and easy
    • shortened sessions and rain marred the morning, but I got a lot of laps in the afternoon with minimal traffic on a dry track
    • afternoon weather was mid-80ā€™s and sunny; constant temp changes had me chasing tire pressures throughout the day
    • there were two performance tunes, one geared slightly toward better front grip and he other geared slightly toward better rear grip
    • Both tunes really soak up curbs and make the car feel flatter in the corners with reduced brake dive
    • the rear grip tune was better than OE controller; the car was more stable under braking and quicker overall (-0.5 sec faster than Saturdayā€™s best even with the addition of a 200 lb passenger)
    • the front grip tune was my favorite; I really liked the grip at corner entry; seat of the pants felt substantially quicker than OE controller and it was (-1.5 sec faster than Saturdayā€™s best - but with no passenger)
  • 4 hour ride home in race seats
    • not as plush as OE Normal Mode but certainly not punishing
    • comfortable but composed
    • could be used as DD or date night setting (except for the seats!)

Conclusions, opinions & disclaimers
  • It seems to actually keep the promise Magneride makes; the tunes definitely feel different
  • Itā€™s tunable from a laptop (for those with knowledge of shock tuning and some patience)
  • The performance gains were real, but there were some variables that arenā€™t factored in:
    • what if someone did just the DSC without all the upgraded suspension bushings?
    • what if someone did the DSC with some other combination of springs and anti roll bars?
    • the two tunes may be closer than they appear without the weight of a passenger in both
    • The gains may be even better than they appear because the fast Saturday time was set on lap 2 of the morning session, whereas the fast Sunday (DSC) lap was set on lap 2 of the 4:30 pm session when the track and ambient temps were 10+ degrees hotter
  • High quality coilovers with double adjustable dampers would be faster in the right hands (but maybe not mine) and could possibly be softened enough to make the transit stages acceptable. But Iā€™m really fond of the potential for crowd sourcing and/or engaging remote professional suspension tuning.
  • With the right library of suspension tunes it should be possible to optimize for 200TW Streetable/Comp tires, R-Comps, or even take-off slicks as well as a variety of tracks or weather conditions.

Bottom line
  • Iā€™m going to invest in a DSC Sport because I like the availability of substantially improved track performance that can be converted to comfort at the push of a button.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Other than the DD-ability this sounds like a great buy. I'd love one but I mostly DD the car and don't think my back would like to give up the extra DD-ability for the few weekends I get to have fun.

Great work guys.

Sponsored

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
Going to post this question for anyone with the DSC Controller to guide me. I have a convertible, daily driver with magneride, drive with Normal driver mode & Sport shifter position to get the most comfort with increase throttle. I will never track the car. I'm looking to get more comfort out of it. I live in NY and the highways and back roads suck ass, to say the least. There's always pot holes, bumps, or some kind of change in the road. Would the DSC Controller give me a more comfortable ride, or am I better sticking with OEM in the current mode I use? Appreciate your feedback, it's a lot of money to spend to "hope for the best".

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Guys I have a V4 DSC controller AND a set of the Tractive Coil overs that are controlled by the DSC that just came off my car after a season and a half of running. PM me if interested after checking out the information on them here: https://www.dscsport.com/tractive-suspension/

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
Guys I have a V4 DSC controller AND a set of the Tractive Coil overs that are controlled by the DSC that just came off my car after a season and a half of running. PM me if interested after checking out the information on them here: https://www.dscsport.com/tractive-suspension/
Ah you're from NY so you know my pain! Should I buy the DSC for increased daily comfort driving or stick with OEM?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Going to post this question for anyone with the DSC Controller to guide me. I have a convertible, daily driver with magneride, drive with Normal driver mode & Sport shifter position to get the most comfort with increase throttle. I will never track the car. I'm looking to get more comfort out of it. I live in NY and the highways and back roads suck ass, to say the least. There's always pot holes, bumps, or some kind of change in the road. Would the DSC Controller give me a more comfortable ride, or am I better sticking with OEM in the current mode I use? Appreciate your feedback, it's a lot of money to spend to "hope for the best".

For street and freeway driving, the DSC can't match stock Magneride controller. The DSC will allow you to improve racetrack handling, but the software isn't as comprehensive as what the Ford engineers get to use with their tuning.

The ride can be completely reasonable to drive with the DSC, but it doesn't tune chatter bumps or freeway road swells as well as stock.

This is just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if there was much discussion on the matter.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited: