Sponsored

Drove the 10 speed finally

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Nothing to learn here. I gave it a chance, believe me, I just couldn’t get into the slow responding paddles.
How slow is slow for 10A paddle shifting in your opinion compared to real world traffic smooth manual shifting?

Ditto for "competition" level up and down shifting including rev matching while trail braking manual shifting?

Have any of you ever accurately (i.e. data logged) a "fast as possible" manual shift in a pony car oem trans using the clutch? How long does it take to go from full acceleration g's back to full acceleration g's or even full throttle back to full throttle?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I haven't driven the 10 speed in the Mustang yet but I can see the appeal of the 10 speed after driving a 10 speed Camaro ZL1 back to back with the manual version. The 10 speed simply felt way faster not only because of the shift speeds but also because the gears can be shorter since you have 10 of them. It was similar to the GT-R experience where the super short gearing rips your head off. Still, to me manuals are more engaging and fun, primarily when you're not going fast and just cruising around, where the auto will be a bore.
Perhaps you've seen this video . . . the A10 presents itself very, very well, properly rev-matched downshifts and all. I'm impressed.

But I agree that for anything short of that kind of balls-to-the-wall/consequences-be-damned record attempt the driver is missing out by being less involved. I think I'd still rather be a full second slower on a two-minute track, knowing that it was all me at the controls that got that time.

[ame]

Norm

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
I'm having a hard time with modern cars with manual transmissions, throttle by wire, rev hang, and all the nannies to help you drive a manual transmission have taken the fun out of it. Wide open throttle is about the only enjoyable time shifting my PP car. I use to love just driving, now I shift very lazy and still have to wait for the rpms to drop enough to release clutch for the smooth shift that I take way too much pride in. I have disabled rev hang and launch assist with Hptuners, that helped, but not much. Then there is the tire hop. I've thrown all sorts of parts at my stick car, still hops more than my wife's completely stock gt, which I'm not sure has ever hopped.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How slow is slow for 10A paddle shifting in your opinion compared to real world traffic smooth manual shifting?

Ditto for "competition" level up and down shifting including rev matching while trail braking manual shifting?

Have any of you ever accurately (i.e. data logged) a "fast as possible" manual shift in a pony car oem trans using the clutch? How long does it take to go from full acceleration g's back to full acceleration g's or even full throttle back to full throttle?
I'm sure it's mostly a 'perception thing'.

It takes longer to move a mechanical shift lever instead of what's basically a microswitch trip lever, and you don't start sensing lag until your part in it is done. With a MT when you're done so is the shift and you sense no lag at all. No dead time waiting for anything. With an AT there's still the time it takes for your command to turn into hydraulic and mechanical activities and for them to finally finish what you only commanded to happen. So although the overall amount of time it takes to get an AT shift completed from the time you first move to initiate it is almost certainly less, some of that time is "dead time" as far as you are concerned. You're all done with your part but you still have to wait for it to finish up.

Norm

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure it's mostly a 'perception thing'.

It takes longer to move a mechanical shift lever instead of what's basically a microswitch trip lever, and you don't start sensing lag until your part in it is done. With a MT when you're done so is the shift and you sense no lag at all. No dead time waiting for anything. With an AT there's still the time it takes for your command to turn into hydraulic and mechanical activities and for them to finally finish what you only commanded to happen. So although the overall amount of time it takes to get an AT shift completed from the time you first move to initiate it, some of that time is "dead time" as far as you are concerned. You're all done with your part but you still have to wait for it to finish up.

Norm
Good points!

I've posted this previously but as an FYI the owner manual for the 2018 10A "implies" that when the trans is in S and you've enabled "select shift" the trans will automatically hold the gear UNLESS you are at full throttle. IF true this is a neat feature for both "spirited" driving and autocross/track driving where you don't want an upshift unless you hit the rev limit at full throttle but are too busy to look at the tach.

I should know in about a month since I get the car in mid January and should have it broken in (aka 1000 miles) by then and just waiting for a not too cold day for the PS4S tires.:D

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's exactly what my brother says about his '17 GT PP Manual. He pushes the lever to neutral and waits for the revs to drop for smooth gear changes. It's the first car he's ever had to do that.

The only nanny that is needed on a manual is synchromesh.
"Real" drivers don't need synchromesh. :D The dog ring Hewland in my Formula Ford shifted faster and didn't need a silly clutch for shifts. ;)

Cruising18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Oxford White GT
I'm ordering an A10 18 model for my daily driver. Coming from a focus ST, the manual was perfect for city driving. I was initially planning on getting an 18 manual, However, after having test driven both the manual and A10 mustang GTs the automatic not only felt quicker, but felt more practical for the city. The GT is quick enough that I can't imagine getting into 4th gear in the manual except on the highway. If looking for a faster/more practical car one can't beat the automatic. That said, highway driving/tracking the car one can't beat a manual.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I doubt anyone buys the 6MT for any performance benefit. It's just about the process of driving a manual. The AMT's are too good these days, I'm old so I like to row my own but I won't be winning any races with it. As if I ever won any races otherwise.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I really like this 10 speed and the way it sounds going through the gears, but automatics are just so boring to drive on the every day streets. This is why I do not think I could give up a 6-speed. Plus, I think the 6-speeds sound better on the exhaust note since you can control it.

Majority of people here are just driving on the streets and not on a racetrack.

Now, if we're talking drag strip, the 10 speed is a no brainer.

Sponsored
OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Just wondering come winter which will be easier to so that’s a factor for me . Tough choice that 10 speed is great

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'm ordering an A10 18 model for my daily driver. Coming from a focus ST, the manual was perfect for city driving. I was initially planning on getting an 18 manual, However, after having test driven both the manual and A10 mustang GTs the automatic not only felt quicker, but felt more practical for the city. The GT is quick enough that I can't imagine getting into 4th gear in the manual except on the highway. If looking for a faster/more practical car one can't beat the automatic. That said, highway driving/tracking the car one can't beat a manual.
I came from a Focus ST too. I'm in 5th gear at 55mph with my PP and 3.73s.
I don't think I've ever been in 4th on the hwy.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'm having a hard time with modern cars with manual transmissions, throttle by wire, rev hang, and all the nannies to help you drive a manual transmission have taken the fun out of it. Wide open throttle is about the only enjoyable time shifting my PP car. I use to love just driving, now I shift very lazy and still have to wait for the rpms to drop enough to release clutch for the smooth shift that I take way too much pride in. I have disabled rev hang and launch assist with Hptuners, that helped, but not much. Then there is the tire hop. I've thrown all sorts of parts at my stick car, still hops more than my wife's completely stock gt, which I'm not sure has ever hopped.
I don't notice rev hang on my PP GT. Maybe b/c I'm supercharged...I dunno. But I didn't notice on a stock one I test drove. I drove an auto GT and a PP back to back. I didn't even consider the automatic after that. The PP was double the fun for me.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
As fast as the current dct/auto transmissions are, I can't see myself making the changeover. Manuals are just too fun.
This is my sole and 100% reason for buying manual - it's just more fun, period.
Sponsored