Sponsored

Dropped a piece of glove on an intake valve.......

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Yea most professional mechanics don't actually torque many things. With the exception if head gaskets and wheels we typically go by feel. When I installed my new manifold I ran them down to touching with with my screw gun then used a 1/4" ratchet in 3 passes to actually tighten them.
Only head gaskets and wheels? And this is why I don't trust most professional mechanics.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Yea most professional mechanics don't actually torque many things. With the exception if head gaskets and wheels we typically go by feel. When I installed my new manifold I ran them down to touching with with my screw gun then used a 1/4" ratchet in 3 passes to actually tighten them.
I put it all back together and no leaks so far so I might be good. Just tightened until tight with a 1/4 little ratchet. Then went a little further maybe 90 degrees.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I put it all back together and no leaks so far so I might be good. Just tightened until tight with a 1/4 little ratchet. Then went a little further maybe 90 degrees.
It was your mistake setting the wrench to 160 ft/lbs vs 106 ft/lbs when you snapped the bolt, so now you just decide not to use the torque wrench set to the proper specs and just wing it?

Makes no sense to me...🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
It was your mistake setting the wrench to 160 ft/lbs vs 106 ft/lbs when you snapped the bolt, so now you just decide not to use the torque wrench set to the proper specs and just wing it?

The bolts I swapped to use have 46k miles of heat cycles on them so I didn't want to chance snapping another one.

If something comes loose it would take me a few minutes to tighten up.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

It's not that serious in this application, they're tiny bolts and if the manifold comes loose it will be pretty obvious, lol. Let's pat this man on the back for getting the job done despite the broken bolt.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
We have all made mistakes with torque wrenches. My advice to to buy a range of torque wrenches for different applications. My big wrench went down to 100 ft/lbs but this is right at its bottom setting. Hence when I did my manifold I bought a smaller wrench that had 100 ft/lbs dead centre in its range. The extremes of the range are likely to be least accurate. Also the old saying goes, measure twice, cut once. It’s the same with torque. Check the setting twice! And work up to the desired torque slowly in the correct pattern. If something starts to feel a bit tight for the materials involved (eg plastic) stop and recheck everything.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
We have all made mistakes with torque wrenches. My advice to to buy a range of torque wrenches for different applications. My big wrench went down to 100 ft/lbs but this is right at its bottom setting. Hence when I did my manifold I bought a smaller wrench that had 100 ft/lbs dead centre in its range. The extremes of the range are likely to be least accurate. Also the old saying goes, measure twice, cut once. It’s the same with torque. Check the setting twice! And work up to the desired torque slowly in the correct pattern. If something starts to feel a bit tight for the materials involved (eg plastic) stop and recheck everything.
I own like 6 torque wrenches now. I cringed even I paid $100 for my first one, after that. I gladly shelled $$ for them. Even have one to go like 0-30 range.

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
Is this the Camaro 2010 ss? If so why are you posting here?

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Is this the Camaro 2010 ss? If so why are you posting here?
? It's for a 2015 mustang GT.

Oh I see what you mean. When I joined the forum I had a Camaro ss and looking for a mustang. I will update my profile.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Speaking of manifolds, I once was spraying carb cleaner down a GF’s throttle body to loosen up all the oil brought in by the PCV system, the little red tube on the end of the carb cleaner went shooting down the manifold! It looked like an upside down header on the side of a 4 cylinder...I had no idea which intake tube the spray tube went down. It took an hour of rigging attachments to a shop vac to finally get that sucker out! I never touched her car again!

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of manifolds, I once was spraying carb cleaner down a GF’s throttle body to loosen up all the oil brought in by the PCV system, the little red tube on the end of the carb cleaner went shooting down the manifold! It looked like an upside down header on the side of a 4 cylinder...I had no idea which intake tube the spray tube went down. It took an hour of rigging attachments to a shop vac to finally get that sucker out! I never touched her car again!
My valves are pretty clean surprisingly, I thought it was going to have a bunch of oil since I have standard pcv setup.
Sponsored