Sponsored

Driving characteristics with Procharger

AbsolutHank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Procharged C7Z06
I'm really thinking hard about picking up a S550 GT later this year. I've had a bunch of cars in the past, including four supercharged cars - twoVipers with Paxton's, and two Camaro ZL1s modded to low 600whp.

I'm only referencing them because I'm curious of the driving characteristics of a Procharged GT. My Vipers weren't very rev happy, and the boost didn't really kick in till 32-3500. It was just an odd driving experience because the Viper naturally doesn't like to rev that high (esp with 3.07s) so you weren't really in boost unless you were doing highway pulls. Of course the ZL1 was fun at the stoplights, and compared to the Viper, the PD was a better fit for the street and casual driving. I understand the difference between both SC styles, but I'm curious if it's easier/quicker to get into boost with the Procharger on the S550? Like it acts a little closer to a PD that I was used to than with the centri in the Viper?

On mobile so sorry for the grammar/spelling.
Sponsored

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
Well, this is more of a tuning issue with centris at the moment, and since procharger is really the only centri kit out right now my experience has only been on those with the 15 with multiple tuners.

I've driven various procharged P1, D1, Stage 2 etc 2015's over the last few weeks, all seem to exhibit the same issue. A bucking or surging feeling at around 5 vacuum into low boost with moderate throttle. I call this, highway on ramp throttle.

Again it's more of a tuning issue where the current tuning suites, SCT, HPTunrs, and Diablo cannot log certain parameters to get the throttle angles correct in those conditions.

To be fair, this was done on cars tuned by procharger themselves, Lund, a local'ish tuner using SCT, and my own car tuned by HPTuners.

kws6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
...I'm curious of the driving characteristics of a Procharged GT. My Vipers weren't very rev happy, and the boost didn't really kick in till 32-3500.

That is normal for centri superchargers.....full boost needs high rpm.....(a lot higher than 3500 rpm)....

Cant remember who makes it, but there is a centri with a variable spped drive that gives more boost at lower rpm.....Although big drawback is the hot air intake....

silver86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
That is normal for centri superchargers.....full boost needs high rpm.....(a lot higher than 3500 rpm)....

Cant remember who makes it, but there is a centri with a variable spped drive that gives more boost at lower rpm.....Although big drawback is the hot air intake....
In the past, and on a completely unrelated platform, I ran a V2SQ. I pullied down dramatically to get boost earlier in the RPM's, but ran an inlet restrictor to limit max psi. Some guys run a waste gate after the blower, but it's less efficient, as the blower has already done the work (compressed).

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
I've driven various procharged P1, D1, Stage 2 etc 2015's over the last few weeks, all seem to exhibit the same issue. A bucking or surging feeling at around 5 vacuum into low boost with moderate throttle. I call this, highway on ramp throttle.
Our current shipping tune, (as of the 1st of this month)
Has resolved this issue, as reported from all customers that have it.

The ONLY time you can remotely get this to happen, is if you actually try to find the switch point for the IMRC doors closing, and the cam moving to compensate for it. (PD blowers don't have the IMRC plates, so this isn't something they will have)

Being said, you literally have to TRY and feel this happen. Driving like a normal human being you will go right past it without notice. :)

Sponsored

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our current shipping tune, (as of the 1st of this month)
Has resolved this issue, as reported from all customers that have it.

The ONLY time you can remotely get this to happen, is if you actually try to find the switch point for the IMRC doors closing, and the cam moving to compensate for it. (PD blowers don't have the IMRC plates, so this isn't something they will have)

Being said, you literally have to TRY and feel this happen. Driving like a normal human being you will go right past it without notice. :)
No, you literally do not have to try. It's not your blower, its centri blowers in general do to it being a blow through setup. Until throttle angle can be logged this is an issue. I've driven a car tuned by you guys, it's no different than anyone other tuner. HPT, SCT nor Diablo have this enhanced pid available to log for the 2015. SCT displays they do, but its not the proper pid.

Normal human beings use highway on ramps, and accelerate in higher gears when doing lane changes but do not go into boost. Without that pid, its a tune by feel at the moment. Believe me, I've been in touch with almost everyone who has a centri blower on this forum, everyone is experiencing it.

Again, it's not a procharger specific problem, it's a centri blower tuning issue on these cars right now until the right enhanced pid's can be exposed.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
So you have driven a car that got a tune revision in the last 7 days?
Cause the difference is LIGHT years.

I drive our car everyday, and can say it takes SERIOUS effort to find that spot.
Out of all the people that have drove it, only 1 person has even felt it. :)

So if you consider idling, start up, power, etc.
This spot is about .00000001% of normal driving done.
If a person doesn't buy a supercharger because of that, well they shouldn't have a blower. :)
(Actually these 2015's drive like poop stock, the throttle hang is annoying as heck)
Personally I think the current blower tune drives better then the stock tune in most of the 2015's I have drove.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you have driven a car that got a tune revision in the last 7 days?
Cause the difference between then and now is LIGHTER years.
You do realize Ford Carlisle was this past weekend right?
Sponsored