Sponsored

Driveshaft recommendation? [Driveshaft carrier bearing shot: new driveshaft for non-race car?]

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Under what conditions do the DSS units not hold up?
I’m sure it was under light accelleration by a little old lady on her way to church. J/k obviously.
As I said I have no first hand experience but you can search for threads. I’ve been researching 1 piece shafts to install in the spring and my findings point to the QA1 being the best and priced accordingly. Any product will have some failures or vocal purchasers but there definetly seems to be more from DSS than other vendors.
Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
time for an on-topic post lmao, but DSS is hit or miss. For axles I would pay the extra money for gforce / ford performance since they are made by gforce. For driveshafts they often have a spot of NVH like my personal car from 70-74 mph you get a weird vibration, ive installed it where some cars get that vibration in the 40s or 50s or 60s and some that are perfect and never get this weird vibration at all.

I have only seen 1 DSS aluminum drive shaft fail and that was from hard track launches (it was installed in summer of 2016 and replaced august of 2022) that totaled the front pinion joint of the driveshaft so the car would make a kid punting a dodgeball noise, the driveshaft still functioned and the joint is replaceable.

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Metallic
I’m sure it was under light accelleration by a little old lady on her way to church. J/k obviously.
As I said I have no first hand experience but you can search for threads. I’ve been researching 1 piece shafts to install in the spring and my findings point to the QA1 being the best and priced accordingly. Any product will have some failures or vocal purchasers but there definetly seems to be more from DSS than other vendors.
time for an on-topic post lmao, but DSS is hit or miss. For axles I would pay the extra money for gforce / ford performance since they are made by gforce. For driveshafts they often have a spot of NVH like my personal car from 70-74 mph you get a weird vibration, ive installed it where some cars get that vibration in the 40s or 50s or 60s and some that are perfect and never get this weird vibration at all.

I have only seen 1 DSS aluminum drive shaft fail and that was from hard track launches (it was installed in summer of 2016 and replaced august of 2022) that totaled the front pinion joint of the driveshaft so the car would make a kid punting a dodgeball noise, the driveshaft still functioned and the joint is replaceable.
Alright, so that keeps DSS in contention for me. I know @beefcake had posted in the past about liking them, but I'm not sure if that's still true.

The hardest launching I'm doing is getting on NJ Route 3 by Clifton Commons to get my arse home from work, so I think a QA1 carbon fiber driveshaft might be a little overkill, even if it is "the best". LOL

Honestly, a properly functioning (non-clunking) stocker would be fine. Hell, not having to replace it at all would be great! However, that's not an option at the moment, so I work with what I've got. LOL

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I was going to go for the Steeda one this last week hoping it went on sale. But it did not. The Qa1 actually went up a few hundred dollars in the last few weeks as did the Steeda one. The way things are going, they'll be a couple of hundred dollars more by next spring which is why I was trying to get one through black Friday sales.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Alright, so that keeps DSS in contention for me. I know @beefcake had posted in the past about liking them, but I'm not sure if that's still true.

The hardest launching I'm doing is getting on NJ Route 3 by Clifton Commons to get my arse home from work, so I think a QA1 carbon fiber driveshaft might be a little overkill, even if it is "the best". LOL

Honestly, a properly functioning (non-clunking) stocker would be fine. Hell, not having to replace it at all would be great! However, that's not an option at the moment, so I work with what I've got. LOL
yes, I like the assassin. Yes, I like QA one.

both in stock

Sponsored

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I could be wrong, but I believe the steeda unit is a reboxed dss.
Can anybody confirm that? They don't quite look the same.

Steeda:
1669912818832.png

DSS:
1669912958016.png

Also, if I were to go with either of them, what hardware would I need to make the install go smooth? All the pictures of the DSS one show included hardware but is that everything?

Last edited:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Can anybody confirm that? They don't quite look the same.

Steeda:
1669912818832.png

DSS:
1669912958016.png

Also, if I were to go with either of them, what hardware would I need to make the install go smooth? All the pictures of the DSS one show included hardware but is that everything?

No the steeda is not a reboxed DSS. The steeda is made by Spicer specifically for steeda. DSS uses a Spicer u joint but make the driveshafts in house. So they have the same u joint but the shafts itself is not the same.

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
No the steeda is not a reboxed DSS. The steeda is made by Spicer specifically for steeda. DSS uses a Spicer u joint but make the driveshafts in house. So they have the same u joint but the shafts itself is not the same.
Any upcoming sales or did I get boned by my paycheck not hitting until after Black Friday/Cyber Monday? 🤣

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Brenspeed claimes a documented 30 hp gain at the rear wheels by switching to a QA1 CF 1 piece driveshaft. That’s a big improvement. Worth $1900? Probably.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase