Sponsored

Driver Side Rear Parking Brake Spring (how to reinstall it)???

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
How do you get the parking brake spring back in? I was installing ARP studs on the rear and was using a long breaker bar to break loose the caliper bracket bolt and must have went wide a bit and knocked this spring off its mount. I tried for an hour to brute force it back into place but was unsuccessful. It kept slipping just as I would get it close to inserting it. Is there a special tool for this? Does anyone have any tips they can share on hot to reinstall this spring? Thanks in advance.
IMG_3570.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, everyone else is stumped on this too? Nobody knows what this spring is or how to reinstall it? I have driven the car without it and the emergency brake is working fine and also releasing, however, I would feel better if this spring were reinstalled.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I looked in the service manual, couldn't find anything on removing/installing the spring. :(

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How do you get the parking brake spring back in? I was installing ARP studs on the rear and was using a long breaker bar to break loose the caliper bracket bolt and must have went wide a bit and knocked this spring off its mount. I tried for an hour to brute force it back into place but was unsuccessful. It kept slipping just as I would get it close to inserting it. Is there a special tool for this? Does anyone have any tips they can share on hot to reinstall this spring? Thanks in advance.
IMG_3570.JPG
@jmeiers

I had to search on another Mustang forum where I’m a member, because I recalled this very tech you are seeking....

I really hope this helps you out. Keep in mind this thread I am posting for you is detailed tech for rebuilding rear brake calipers for a 1993 Mustang Cobra w/integrated parking brake. Granted what you will read and see is NOT S550 specific, HOWEVER, you want to pay specific attention to the tip, instructions and pictures given on Page 1, Post # 17 and Step 4 of the thread; it shows how to compress and reinstall that very parking brake pawl spring you’re asking about, which the same method will work on the S550:

https://forums.corral.net/forums/ge...rear-calipers-w-integrated-parking-brake.html

Now, in the attached pdf from Ford Performance for the M-2300-Y S550 GT350 rear brake upgrade kit, go to page 14 which shows the correct orientation of that rear parking brake pawl spring for the stock rear brakes of a standard S550.

Cheers! :beer::wink:

Attachments

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I just rebuilt my rear calipers. You need to remove the caliper so you can turn the ebrake lever on the caliper enough to pull in on. Far from easy, probably have to remove the caliper which would mean replacing the banjo bolt copper washers. After that you need to reset the caliper with the appropriate too. It is a PITA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@jmeiers

I had to search on another Mustang forum where I’m a member, because I recalled this very tech you are seeking....

I really hope this helps you out. Keep in mind this thread I am posting for you is detailed tech for rebuilding rear brake calipers for a 1993 Mustang Cobra w/integrated parking brake. Granted what you will read and see is NOT S550 specific, HOWEVER, you want to pay specific attention to the tip, instructions and pictures given on Page 1, Post # 17 and Step 4 of the thread; it shows how to compress and reinstall that very parking brake pawl spring you’re asking about, which the same method will work on the S550:

https://forums.corral.net/forums/ge...rear-calipers-w-integrated-parking-brake.html

Now, in the attached pdf from Ford Performance for the M-2300-Y S550 GT350 rear brake upgrade kit, go to page 14 which shows the correct orientation of that rear parking brake pawl spring for the stock rear brakes of a standard S550.

Cheers! :beer::wink:
Thank you sir!!! This really helps me out and was exactly the type of tip I was looking for. Good idea to compress the spring in a vice and hold it that way with a strong zip tie. Hoping I only have to remove the caliper to make room and not actually disassemble it and have to bleed brakes, etc.

Thanks again!!!!

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was able to get mine back on with a pair of pliers. I stuck one end in the bracket, then put the other end in the groobe of the pliers that cuts wire and what not to hold it in place and was able to push it back onto the other side of the bracket. I feel like this is extreemly poorly described bit I sat for a while scratching my head when this happened to me.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Did you end up using a vice? I have the same issue, spring came loose when swapping out pads and rotors.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you end up using a vice? I have the same issue, spring came loose when swapping out pads and rotors.
Yes. I used a vice to compress the spring together and used 2 zip ties to hold it that way. I was able to put the spring back on with the caliper still mounted. It may take a couple tries to get the spring compressed just enough to get the spring back in the mount.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Gotcha! Makes your wonder how the thing came off, with the amount of tension you need to put it back in.
Sponsored