Sponsored

Drive your car now, says Car and Driver

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When did we all get so opposed to innovation anyway? The American economy is built on innovation. We should be excited to drive energy innovation and benefit from the trillions of dollars that will be spent globally on shifting away from fossil fuels.
innovation on YOUR OWN dime is not a problem. on MY DIME it is. Artificially janking with the economy and it's lifeblood energy for some nonsensical "green objective" and imposing the costs on people against their will, and saddling the "middle class" and below with the price tag is NOT how you spell innovation.

Hey, someone's got a 50% efficient PV, great. The liquid metal battery sounds interesting. But don't you DARE order the Public Utility to "invest" and/or steal from it's users to prop up a technology that can not stand on it's own feet. That's what rich investors are for to piss their money down the drain chasing the next big thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But use and lose your own damn money.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t worry… usage (mileage) based registration fees are coming soon. Don’t think gas taxes will go away in exchange.
yup we'll get to pay fuel tax, mileage tax AND a sin tax for daring to operate a vehicle that doesn't get 40mpgE or better.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here goes:
“I would love to shove my carbon footprint up your environmental ass.”
Save the trees/planet, burn more Oil. But yours is much better.
I'll go find an Arbor Day tag for my Mustang.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Right! They are holding off to get as many people to buy in as possible. Notice they are not mentioning that now. It's a mad rush to get people to switch, then they will drop that bomb on them.

Furthermore, I would rather pay based on the number of miles I drive than a flat rate when I register my car. I drive about 75 miles a week or 4,000 miles a year. I only pay tax on the gas I use. If my car gets 20 mpg, then I use 200 gallons a year. If my state charges 35 cents per gallon, then I pay $70 a year for the roads, spread across 52 weeks. Contrast that with someone who drives a huge 4wd pickup 15,000 miles a year. If he gets 15 mpg, then he uses 1,000 gallons, and his share of the road tax is $350. The more a person uses the roads, the more he has to pay for the roads. I like that method and feel like states are going to have to adopt a method to charge people according to the number of miles they drive.
Meh....either way its punishing the poor sap who has to commute longer to work than the short commuters. Its not like the roads only exist for the sake of the long commuters and its not like anyone really wants a long commute measured by gas burn or time/distance wasted every day. Do we have to jack up prices for those who only commute once or twice a weeks as is getting common? Its not like the roads aren't a cost when they're working from home. No system is perfect.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
innovation on YOUR OWN dime is not a problem. on MY DIME it is. Artificially janking with the economy and it's lifeblood energy for some nonsensical "green objective" and imposing the costs on people against their will, and saddling the "middle class" and below with the price tag is NOT how you spell innovation.

Hey, someone's got a 50% efficient PV, great. The liquid metal battery sounds interesting. But don't you DARE order the Public Utility to "invest" and/or steal from it's users to prop up a technology that can not stand on it's own feet. That's what rich investors are for to piss their money down the drain chasing the next big thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But use and lose your own damn money.
You write all that like we don't subsidize carbon with cash & blood.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
either way its punishing the poor sap who has to commute longer to work than they short commuters.
as long as the rules are clearly stated and applied equally that's how usage taxes work. Pure mileage doesn't account for fuel efficiency or weight of the vehicle except in an indirect manner. Since road wear is reasonably correlated to PSI at tire contact patch, the people driving the Lighting, Rivian, and Mach-E are getting a reduced expense despite their outsized damage profile.

I mean we can concoct all manner of rules and regs to spread the pain around, it was just a whole lot simpler when it was just fuel taxes. It was good enough. Now it'll be GVWR and mileage for everyone and a slimmed down (ha!) fuel tax for the ICE/hybrid folks.

Even if nobody owned a personal vehicle, as you noted you still need the roads for public transit, or automated transit/hire, and logistics. So the cost will eventually find everyone even the guy who walks or rides his bicycle everywhere.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Even if nobody owned a personal vehicle, as you noted you still need the roads for public transit, or automated transit/hire, and logistics. So the cost will eventually find everyone even the guy who walks or rides his bicycle everywhere.
Beware the sneaker tax & revolt of 2034.

Im out....when things turn to shoving things up asses not my kind of party. I'm bailing.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You write all that like we don't subsidize carbon with cash & blood.
I am vehemently against ALL subsidies no matter what it is. And no, we have no business spending national treasure to secure "friendly" terms for foreign energy when we have more than we know what to do with, but REFUSE to actually exploit it.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I like to think that by driving the GT350 and tracking it as much as possible (given family commitments) I am helping to deplete the globe's oil reserves more quickly, which will expedite the development and deployment of alternative fuels. Am I a hero?......Yes.

1648001802984.png

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I am vehemently against ALL subsidies no matter what it is. And no, we have no business spending national treasure to secure "friendly" terms for foreign energy when we have more than we know what to do with, but REFUSE to actually exploit it.
Spoken like a fellow libertarian.

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
literally cant drive a mach e from PHX to LA cause crap range and no place to charge. yeah EV is the future.

OP
OP
Mustangford289

Mustangford289

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt350
literally cant drive a mach e from PHX to LA cause crap range and no place to charge. yeah EV is the future.
Get one of those little Honda generators.....the new electric Ram trucks are going to be built with generators on board...

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
There are 152 CCS charging stations between PHX and LA within 5 miles of the route. There are chargers in the middle of the journey in Desert Station. What are you talking about?

D938A331-A411-4439-9D72-13180D24C08F.jpeg

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350, 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
OK so I have a unique perspective on this.....

1. Because I just sold my original 67 GT500 a year or two ago (that and my 428CJ powered 56 Ford Victoria)

Special cars have cycles- popular when new then again when people age and want to relive their youth- 50s car used to be all the rage but when I went to sell my 56 Victoria (had a 4 page spread in Street Rodder magazine- so this car was done right) I didnt get a call from anyone under 80 years old it felt like

Or now that one generation is older- they want to buy the car they always dreamed of having as a kid

Same thing with Fox Body prices today- people my age want to relive their youth and are buying fox bodies (I did the same and bought a low mileage 5 speed LX car but sold after a year because it wasnt as great as I remembered lol)

I also drove a 19GT PP1 for a few years-

So this is my OPINION

1. My GT350R feels just as special as my 67 GT500 did when I drive it around (I attribute that to the Voodoo- and I can go into more detail if anyone cares- my daughters like the GT350R more)
2. My GT350R feels more special than my GT did (not that my GT didnt feel special- I loved that car too and loved driving it )
3. Life is short- enjoy your cars - 3 years ago I went in for a normal check up- no symptoms- just regular visit and a week later was diagnosed with incurable bone marrow cancer and about 15-20 ish years to live (I was 44 years old when diagnosed)

I am one of the few lucky but unlucky ones to know potentially when I will die and how - unlucky because Ill die relatively young- but lucky because it has helped me to change my priorities and enjoy life - drive my cars- spend less time working and more time with family and friends- slow down once in a while

I can honestly say I dont really care what my car will be worth 25 years from now because I probably wont be here- but nothing can take back all the memories I am making driving it
Well said sir. God bless!
Sponsored