N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing special about modern mustangs / camaros / challengers / whatever. Nobody in 30 years will be saying ' I gotta get me a 2017 'xx' car.

I think the older folks are trying to associate these cars with 60's/early 70s muscle cars. You can't. Those old iron were raw, unrefined, rolling death traps with unique styling and personality that were worn out by 60k-100k, then were thrown away for the most part.

But I'm just a Schmuck with an opinion. Cheers !
Sponsored

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
There's nothing special about modern mustangs / camaros / challengers / whatever. Nobody in 30 years will be saying ' I gotta get me a 2017 'xx' car.
I agree with you on the mainline models. But there are special vehicles being made now on mass market platforms. Swan songs for internal combustion and manual transmissions. I could see any/all of the following being collectible in 30 years when every vehicle is electric powered and many are self driving. (I have excluded supercars. Trying to capture the spirit of the Mustang/Camaro/whatever segment where you have some very mass market models and some niche models.)

GT350R
GT500
Ram TRX
Challenger Hellcat Redeye
Camaro ZL1 1LE
Corvette ZR1
CT5-V Blackwing
Lotus Exige, Evora and Emira
Cayman GTS 4.0, GT4, GT4 RS (Porsche said the next generation Cayman/Boxster will be electric)
Nissan GT-R
Acura NSX
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition

Last edited:

LowFlying65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
FJG Mach1 # M3579
This story made me think about my own relationship with my Mach 1. I really don't care what anyone does with anything they own or rent as long as they aren't impacting me or risking/hurting others. I've come to the conclusion I can't control much of anything except some of the more mundane choices one makes every day such as what I eat or what I choose to drive to work. I spent years driving POS cars, SUVs, and sedans. My choice of transportation wasn't impressing anyone, but I didn't care about that too much. When I finally was able to buy a car for myself after putting my youngest kid into a safe and reliable vehicle, I wanted something fun, exciting and powerful. I looked at some European sports cars, even looked at a few Asian ones, but when I heard the Mach 1 was coming back I was hooked. I waited over a year for the ordering banks to even open before I could order mine. My only choices were, AT or 6spd, HP or not, and color. Since I pretty much knew this new Mustang Mach 1 was going to be pretty close to a daily driver I decided on the AT and non-HP. I loved the idea of a FJG Appearance Package online but I waited to order mine until I was able to see one in person just to be sure. As said in the the article (referring to the GT350 but just as applicable to a Mach 1), "It's the only car I've ever had that every day when I walk up to it, I think, 'This is a stunning car.' The cold start in the morning is a great way to start your day."

Life is short. I'm glad I prioritized important things in life the way I have. I also learned along the way that when you're able, don't put off doing something for yourself today hoping for tomorrow because life is going to come at you on its terms, not yours. That's why I drive mine... EVERY CHANCE I GET!

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray

I think the older folks are trying to associate these cars with 60's/early 70s muscle cars. You can't. Those old iron were raw, unrefined, rolling death traps with unique styling and personality that were worn out by 60k-100k, then were thrown away for the most part.

But I'm just a Schmuck with an opinion. Cheers !
Have you actually driven a GT350 or 500, or a ZL1? Feels pretty damn special everytime I drive it. It's an experience every single time.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Have you actually driven a GT350 or 500, or a ZL1? Feels pretty damn special everytime I drive it. It's an experience every single time.
Not to pop that bubble, but I get the same experience from the GT.:rain:

And have 2 actual HotRods, one having comparable HP with the GT, and lighter than. Totally different road manners and experience.

I really find it hard to believe that some rag, finds it necessary to tell owners they should drive the car...... :computerrage:

Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Not to pop that bubble, but I get the same experience from the GT.:rain:

And have 2 actual HotRods, one having comparable HP with the GT, and lighter than. Totally different road manners and experience.

I really find it hard to believe that some rag, finds it necessary to tell owners they should drive the car...... :computerrage:
My 2018 and 2020 GTs felt special as well... but the 500 is just on another planet.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
OK so I have a unique perspective on this.....

1. Because I just sold my original 67 GT500 a year or two ago (that and my 428CJ powered 56 Ford Victoria)

Special cars have cycles- popular when new then again when people age and want to relive their youth- 50s car used to be all the rage but when I went to sell my 56 Victoria (had a 4 page spread in Street Rodder magazine- so this car was done right) I didnt get a call from anyone under 80 years old it felt like

Or now that one generation is older- they want to buy the car they always dreamed of having as a kid

Same thing with Fox Body prices today- people my age want to relive their youth and are buying fox bodies (I did the same and bought a low mileage 5 speed LX car but sold after a year because it wasnt as great as I remembered lol)

I also drove a 19GT PP1 for a few years-

So this is my OPINION

1. My GT350R feels just as special as my 67 GT500 did when I drive it around (I attribute that to the Voodoo- and I can go into more detail if anyone cares- my daughters like the GT350R more)
2. My GT350R feels more special than my GT did (not that my GT didnt feel special- I loved that car too and loved driving it )
3. Life is short- enjoy your cars - 3 years ago I went in for a normal check up- no symptoms- just regular visit and a week later was diagnosed with incurable bone marrow cancer and about 15-20 ish years to live (I was 44 years old when diagnosed)

I am one of the few lucky but unlucky ones to know potentially when I will die and how - unlucky because Ill die relatively young- but lucky because it has helped me to change my priorities and enjoy life - drive my cars- spend less time working and more time with family and friends- slow down once in a while

I can honestly say I dont really care what my car will be worth 25 years from now because I probably wont be here- but nothing can take back all the memories I am making driving it

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
My car isn’t an investment. I plan on using it. If it holds value because v8 manual cars die off or the special model is worth something, thats a bonus.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I love hearing people like to drive their Mustangs a lot.

Personally, I just hit 2yr ownership last month and am sitting at 35,000 miles. Warranty will expire soon, but what a blast this car is to daily, even through winter on good winter tires. And I don't drive for work and worked from home at height of covid, even then averaging over 17k miles/yr when my commute is only 15mi. That's cause this is a fantastic GT car too.

Baugustine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350; 2018 Acura TLX; 1970 Boss 302
I work in the automotive industry as a Tier 1 supplier (among other things). Those in this thread that are skeptical of "big change" over the next few years are closer to reality than those who are listening to the non-automotive industry prognosticators who don't understand anything about supply-chain, let alone supply and demand. There are lots of reasons EVs are going to be slower adoption than the CEOs of the companies shifting to them are betting on (Mary B, are you listening to your investment bankers or your actual paying customers?).

The "experts" told us in 2015 that by 2019 Level 4 & 5 autonomous would rule the streets (Google that if you think I am making that up).

As a 35+ year C/D subscriber who finally cancelled my subscription a year ago, Ezra Dyer is one of the only car persons left at that periodical. Gone are the David E Davis', John Phillips, Brock Yates, et al, who put fun cars in front of their political opinions, veiled as automotive journalism.

I have a Shelby GT350 I bought as an investment, along with an original Boss 302. They both get driven, but neither one is a good daily driver. I'd never be able to replace certain components on the Boss if some cluck hit it and I'd lose my license in a week in the Shelby (and I'm 52). I just recently sold my 2018 Raptor as it was also a terrible daily driver. I'm now in an Acura TLX for daily chores.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
No. But I have driven a Mclaren 720s coupe. It's fast for sure. The tech in unbelievable.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There are lots of reasons EVs are going to be slower adoption than the CEOs of the companies shifting to them are betting on (Mary B, are you listening to your investment bankers or your actual paying customers?).
I think Mary B. et. al. are closet communists. "When we offer consumers only EV, they'll be forced to buy what we're selling or suffer and die a quiet death of being banished to public transportation."

Problem is they don't account for economic reality (just like the Soviets) nor the fact that other car companies will gladly step in and eat their lunch and offer what the consumer wants, or more importantly can afford to own and operate.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
The "experts" told us in 2015 that by 2019 Level 4 & 5 autonomous would rule the streets (Google that if you think I am making that up).
I'm interested to see where things go.

I work in robotics algorithms (and am adjacent but not directly involved in AI) and no one around me (actually in the trenches) thought we'd be at level 4/5 now. Maybe a few (loud) voices speaking above what the engineers actually think.

I still think the change to EV is going to happen quickly over the next several years. Wind/Solar are now the cheapest forms of energy production (obviously still need a reliable surge capability) and we're probably only ~5 years away from EVs being cheaper (with no incentives, from an energy density perspective) for the manufacturers to build.

Almost everyone I know my age (33), both carpeople and non-carpeople are considering EVs when buying new commuting cars.

My plate hasn't come in yet, but I got an ironic 9MPG_EV plate since I needed to new plates anyway, pumped for that one.
Sponsored