Drive without TPMS? You could lose your car

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Yeah, TPMS was mandatory beginning in 2008 in all vehicles sold in the U.S. I'm not sure about sticking them all in the spare tire because most of them don't begin transmitting until the centrifugal force is at a certain point equivalent to the vehicle traveling at 20 mph or more. Of course I know Toyota ones will transmit if there's a drop in pressure whether or not the wheel is turning. I think most people just ignore the light on the dash instead of spending over $100 per wheel for parts and labor. I think the designed life was about 10 years though I've seen some last over 12 years and others failing in 8 years; guess it depends how much they drive because the more the sensor transmits data, the more the internal battery drains.
Yeah, all of the vehicles I did that with were Toyota and it worked great (4-runner, and Tacoma's).
Sponsored

Fedj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1986 SVO, 1995 Mstng GT, 2020 Edge ST, 22 Mstng GT
My TPMS started to fail a couple of weeks before I planned to switch to track wheels/tires and I did have any plans to leave the city. But then I had to drive an hour to a funeral and on the way home a tire blew off. With a bare passenger side rear wheel, I lost control on the highway, hit the median, and ended up stopped in the middle of the highway. My wife and I then watched a work van hit the rear of the car. We are very lucky to walk away unscathed (I think the car handling and Recaro seats were key) but my car is being totaled. Total payoff from State Farm is $93K, which seems pretty good. But as everyone here knows, this car is irreplaceable. I will cherish the memories, especially the track days.

See the tire pictures below - even going flat I don't think the outer tread should come entirely off the wheel, ripping away from the sidewalls. The tires are General GMAX RS 305/30-19. I will be contacting General tire.

This forum has been very helpful and I wish everyone well. I have already moved on to an Audi RS3 - sounds needs major improvement but is fun around town. I am hoping it does ok on the track. And I get to stay with a a unique engine - 5 cylinders.
20220602_165324.jpg
20220602_161453.jpg
20220716_102220.jpg
Man, I'm glad you are ok. I felt the need to chime in regarding the Recaro Seats. A Month ago I was rear ended on the interstate and My Fiesta ST which had Recaro seats was demolished by an 06 Charger. It was a Sudden stop and I stopped well back from the car in front of me. I looked in the mirror and saw the charger getting bigger and bigger and BAM! I spent 5 days in the hospital with a partially collapsed lung and Four Rib fractures. I never had whiplash or lost the ability to turn my head. I am convinced the Recaro seats saved me from being injured much worse. One week after the accident I placed my order... 2022 GT Premium, 401a, EG, Active Exhaust, MR, PP, B&O, and Recaro. I'm a believer. I really, really really struggled with the Recaro option choice because my wife is a lot shorter than me and memory seats are very much appreciated in her Edge ST. I love cooled and heated seats. At the end of the day I just felt so strongly about my Fiesta's Recaro's saving my ass, I had to get them in the new mustang.
IMG_6959.jpg

Fedj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1986 SVO, 1995 Mstng GT, 2020 Edge ST, 22 Mstng GT

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Sorry But this is 100% driver error
1) Who puts Continental/General tires on this type of vehicle?
2)Driving w/o a Visual/Pressure check on the tires where the TPMS isn't working
3) To be driving @ speed and have a tire go down and not feel it. It would be pulling to one side and making noise and also vibration
4) This tire failure was driving on a low or flat tire happen to me (more than I like to admit) with my trailers.

I'm glad no one was hurt and I'm not trying to pile on, but lets be clears on what happened.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Sorry But this is 100% driver error
1) Who puts Continental/General tires on this type of vehicle?
Continental makes some good tires. Totally agree with you on "General" tires though. I wouldn't put those shits on my daily.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Different divisions though. Conti extreme sport contacts are great tires. General G-Max RS are shit.

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350 whipple charged, 1972 Camaro SS pro touring
My TPMS started to fail a couple of weeks before I planned to switch to track wheels/tires and I did have any plans to leave the city. But then I had to drive an hour to a funeral and on the way home a tire blew off. With a bare passenger side rear wheel, I lost control on the highway, hit the median, and ended up stopped in the middle of the highway. My wife and I then watched a work van hit the rear of the car. We are very lucky to walk away unscathed (I think the car handling and Recaro seats were key) but my car is being totaled. Total payoff from State Farm is $93K, which seems pretty good. But as everyone here knows, this car is irreplaceable. I will cherish the memories, especially the track days.

See the tire pictures below - even going flat I don't think the outer tread should come entirely off the wheel, ripping away from the sidewalls. The tires are General GMAX RS 305/30-19. I will be contacting General tire.

This forum has been very helpful and I wish everyone well. I have already moved on to an Audi RS3 - sounds needs major improvement but is fun around town. I am hoping it does ok on the track. And I get to stay with a a unique engine - 5 cylinders.
20220602_165324.jpg
20220602_161453.jpg
20220716_102220.jpg
Unfortunately that's very common, I had that happen to me a few years back on a different car.
Sponsored