drilling holes for rear bumper sensors

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
I tried searching the site but couldn't find someone actually doing this. Is there a template on where/what size holes to drill to the bumpers that don't already have them? I'm looking to pick up a replacement bumper for my car that is already painted the same color, but it doesn't have the back up sensor holes. I've heard that all bumpers already have the outline on where to cut, but i'm not sure if this is true. Help please!

Thanks
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I tried searching the site but couldn't find someone actually doing this. Is there a template on where/what size holes to drill to the bumpers that don't already have them? I'm looking to pick up a replacement bumper for my car that is already painted the same color, but it doesn't have the back up sensor holes. I've heard that all bumpers already have the outline on where to cut, but i'm not sure if this is true. Help please!

Thanks
I would 100% wait until you have the bumper in-hand, and checking to see if on the back of it it's very obvious where the holes should be, and in what size.

You're a brave man to be contemplating cutting into a bumper.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
ford part number for sensor install tool kit comes with instructions and drill bit for sensor vas4z-15a866-c

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I could be wrong, but it's not just a hole. There is some small brackets that are attached to the bumper for the sensor to snap into.

Now that's how they are all my Ram, never looked on a Mustang before.

OP
OP

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
Thanks for the replies! I did confirm that all bumpers have the layout on the backside on where to drill the holes. I just need to figure out if there needs to be any special brackets. Anyone have pictures of their bumper with sensors?

Sponsored

rubens_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben Rolon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP ESS G3 SUPERCHARGED
Thanks for the replies! I did confirm that all bumpers have the layout on the backside on where to drill the holes. I just need to figure out if there needs to be any special brackets. Anyone have pictures of their bumper with sensors?
Hey man was wondering if you drilled and what did you use to put the sensors as the bumpers that have the holes come with the brackets already on the bumper thanks

SnowTyres

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP+
Almost a year later, but Did you ever finish the job? Was it easy to swap over the wiring harness?

I bet if you go on CJ’s and look at some bumper installs I bet you can find a view of what you’re looking for. I want to upgrade to a premium 2015-17 bumper and may have to do the same thing if I can find one the right color without holes for a good price.

OP
OP

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
Hey man was wondering if you drilled and what did you use to put the sensors as the bumpers that have the holes come with the brackets already on the bumper thanks
Hey I actually didn't end up drilling the bumper. The brackets that come with the bumpers are welded to the bumper and Ford doesn't sell them individually---so i gave up on that idea.

Almost a year later, but Did you ever finish the job? Was it easy to swap over the wiring harness?

I bet if you go on CJ’s and look at some bumper installs I bet you can find a view of what you’re looking for. I want to upgrade to a premium 2015-17 bumper and may have to do the same thing if I can find one the right color without holes for a good price.
I basically ended up doing the whole thing, and it wasn't too bad. Moving stuff over is pretty easy--but I didn't finish it at the end because I couldn't find the plastic brackets that are welded onto the bumper. What color is your car? I have an extra premium DIB bumper without the holes LOL

rubens_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben Rolon
Vehicle(s)
Hey I actually didn't end up drilling the bumper. The brackets that come with the bumpers are welded to the bumper and Ford doesn't sell them individually---so i gave up on that idea.

I basically ended up doing the whole thing, and it wasn't too bad. Moving stuff over is pretty easy--but I didn't finish it at the end because I couldn't find the plastic brackets that are welded onto the bumper. What color is your car? I have an extra premium DIB bumper without the holes LOL
I drilled the holes and tried diy it to make it look flush and didn't work how I thought lol now I need a new bumper which I would have needed anyway for the sensor brackets but everything works

OP
OP

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
I drilled the holes and tried diy it to make it look flush and didn't work how I thought lol now I need a new bumper which I would have needed anyway for the sensor brackets but everything works
I'm curious to see how it turned out haha. You have any pics?

Sponsored

rubens_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben Rolon
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious to see how it turned out haha. You have any pics?
sorry for super late reply i took them out as i had put silicone to keep the sensors from moving but didnt look good at all so i ordered a bumper and just waiting for them to get here

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
sorry for super late reply i took them out as i had put silicone to keep the sensors from moving but didnt look good at all so i ordered a bumper and just waiting for them to get here
Where you order a bumper from? Seems they are real pricey

rubens_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben Rolon
Vehicle(s)
Where you order a bumper from? Seems they are real pricey
i ordered it from dealer was waiting on offer up for a used one but no luck most of them are too damaged and not premium bumpers or no sensor holes

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
i ordered it from dealer was waiting on offer up for a used one but no luck most of them are too damaged and not premium bumpers or no sensor holes
Yeah, I've ran into the same problem.

I don't see how someone can sell a messed up bumper for $300. lol
Sponsored