Sponsored

Draining the Oil Catch Can

wldstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium+PP, 201A
Okay guys I just installed my UPR Dual valve Catch Can. I've never had a catch can before so I need some advice. First of all, for this specific unit what is the best way to drain it and how do you do it. At how many miles do you recommend draining it or is there way of telling when it's full. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

OxWhiteEB

GR8_WHT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Ecoboost
I have a moroso single valve catch can and it says on the instruction paper to check every 1000 miles. In mine I just need to turn the bottom part of the catch can clockwise to open it and it is just a container of those oils. hope it helps

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Buy a small measuring cup that is narrow enough the fit under the CC by hand. I check my oil level at least every 1000 miles, so I dump the CC also. Most of the time there is only an ounce or so in the CC, if that. Don't forget to close the CC dump valve.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
My Mishimoto CC is the same way, just unscrew the can from the top mount. Empty it and screw it back on. The last car I had a CC on never seemed to get oil in it, this one does. Checking every 1,000 miles is very safe. Depending on your driving habits and your particular engine, you may be able to go longer but best to start at 1,000 and figure it out from there.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Just drained mine right now 6 oz. after 1500 miles,

Does anybody know what the capacity is of the UPR unit??

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Just drained mine right now 6 oz. after 1500 miles,

Does anybody know what the capacity is of the UPR unit??
That's a LOT! You don't want the can getting anywhere near full. You don't want oil getting sucked out of the can.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
That's a LOT! You don't want the can getting anywhere near full. You don't want oil getting sucked out of the can.
I know! I was surprised, looks like I'll be changing it every 1k miles.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
If anybody was wondering on their website UPR states the DVCC has an 8 oz. capacity

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I drain my DVCC every week and not base it on mileage.

OP
OP

wldstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium+PP, 201A
To those of you with UPR catch cans, so the can has a dump valve you, need a tool I'm assuming to unscrew it right

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My UPR DVCC has a simple 1/4 turn brass dump valve on the bottom of the can. There is not a lot of room below the can, so I use a small 8 oz plastic container that I can hold under the valve. I didn't like the idea of having to unscrew a 'full' can from its lid and dribble oil over the engine. With the UPR, I can easily lift the dump container out without any oil dripping, absolutely no mess.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
My UPR DVCC has a simple 1/4 turn brass dump valve on the bottom of the can. There is not a lot of room below the can, so I use a small 8 oz plastic container that I can hold under the valve. I didn't like the idea of having to unscrew a 'full' can from its lid and dribble oil over the engine. With the UPR, I can easily lift the dump container out without any oil dripping, absolutely no mess.
I think it's the other way around. Unscrewing the whole can, there is no oil dribbling anywhere. You don't have it running out of the bottom, room for another can below it, worry about trying to get a tool under there to open/close, worry if it is dripping a few times when you try to close it. You shouldn't be waiting until the can is even half full to empty it.

Plus, have you see the crap in the can? This isn't straight oil. It's a mixture of gas and oil that leaves some foamy crap sometimes. That isn't running out through a drain cock. I reach in there with 1 hand, unscrew the can and pull it right out.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The UPR DVCC gives you both options. If you want, you can unscrew the can bottom or you can use the bottom drain valve. I just don't find it convenient to have to lean over the hood, unscrew the can, carefully lift the can out, putting a rag under the can top to absorb any oil drips coming from the can top, dump the can, lean over the hood, and screw the can back to the top, making sure not to cross thread it.

Last edited:

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
That's how the mishi works as well, has an awesome screw at the bottom just lossen and oil drains! Simple and easy

RobBaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 6 speed, Performance Package in RR
I have a Mishimoto catch can. In the bottom of the can there is a threaded opening. In that opening I added a fitting which attaches to clear tubing (2') which terminates to a petcock valve, over kill but it's easy to drain and increases the capacity of the can. The can is mounted in a tight area and not that easy to remove.
Sponsored