Sponsored

Drag Racers: Have you removed the EPAS system?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This thread is more for the Drag Racers where their S550 is strictly a dedicated track car with no street time.

Removing systems, components and non-functional factory elements for drag racing is common for weight reduction. With that said, removing the power steering system and replacing it with a manual steering rack is also usually a common modification for a dedicated Drag Racing vehicle.

Has anyone completely removed the EPAS system and replaced it with a manual rack? If so what rack are you using and how did you go about deleting the EPAS wiring and/or deal with any fault codes, did you use a tuning device or Forscan?

I see Flaming River offers a manual rack for the S550, which is available from many online retail outlets::
https://www.flamingriver.com/manual...2015-2020-s550-mustang-manual-rack-and-pinion

But I don't see any notes or instructions on FR's website for eliminating the EPAS electrical components such as harnesses or having to deal with any fault codes from EPAS elimination.

The 2008, 2010 and 2012 Ford Performance Cobra Jet Mustang came with a "lightweight manual rack".

The 2013, TT version and 2014 Cobra Jet came with EPAS.

The 2016 and 2018 Cobra Jet has EPAS, but there is this note:
"Custom-tuned Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) for drag race applications".

Does anyone have any insight to the S550 Cobra Jet "Custom Tuned" EPAS for drag racing? Is this a specific EPAS rack and/or EPAS As Built coding?
Sponsored

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Did you end up installing this rack? I just recieved mine and looks like with a BMR k member, I will need to modify it.