Drag Race Showdown: 2020 GT500 vs Challenger Hellcat Redeye vs Camaro ZL1!

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I would like to see two things as a follow up, first: to run the same race without launch control. Then second, do the same but rotating the three drivers.
There seems to be so much concern for the numbers that the driver is almost a non-issue. I want to see the human factor, and see if that one second pause that's mentioned is a help or a hindrance.
For the times that were posted on Edmunds, they used the same driver for all three cars. It was not the "group race" times. Carlos Lago provided more context for the test.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Wait a second.... according to the sleuths at C6G Ford has ordered publications reviewing the GT500 to not test it against the ZL1 or face their wrath. I pray for those poor souls at Edmunds.
These must be the same people who think 911 never happened and we never landed on the moon.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I have a Hellcat. With the 275 crappy Pirellis its a bitch to launch and get power down especially when cold.

Hopefully sooner than later I’ll be in a GT500.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Did you just write that stock for stock the ZLE will beat a 500? Ya...not!
You should re-read that last sentence again.

Honestly, the ZLE did better than I thought it would. But NOBODY has been arguing that, stock for stock, it will beat the GT500 in the 1/4. And if they have been, they're off their rockers.

And yes, that last statement includes our favorite little fanboy over at the C6 forums.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can get 295s on the stock wheels.
I’ve done better than that. I have some MT drag radials on 18” rims. It should hook now. Have not had a chance to run them yet.

Correction. 17” rims. Got the tire size right. 305.

Last edited:

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
I think most people knew what the outcome was gonna be between the zl1 and gt500. This was more of a real world test of the redeye vs gt500. The redeye needs that drag strip launch because it has massive torque. The gt500 is a roll race killer. Once they both have traction the gt500 will even beat the demon with the 840hp tune.

What I really want to see is the CFTP vs 1LE around a track so we can put to rest which car is king.
Quite new to this. - How come the GT would beat even the demon?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You should re-read that last sentence again.

Honestly, the ZLE did better than I thought it would. But NOBODY has been arguing that, stock for stock, it will beat the GT500 in the 1/4. And if they have been, they're off their rockers.

And yes, that last statement includes our favorite little fanboy over at the C6 forums.
Honestly, this sums up his ignorance in one post...

"The ZL1 COULD beat the Base 500 in the quarter. I'm not saying it "will". I'm saying it "could". The Base has done 11.5 while the standard ZL1 has done 11.4. So it is possible that the ZL1 can manage a win against a Base GT500. Remember, the 500 is affected more by conditions than the ZL1"

I still can't believe no one calls him out on these idiotic posts.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure they are 305s. It sucks to get old. I can’t remember shit.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

"The ZL1 COULD beat the Base 500 in the quarter. I'm not saying it "will". I'm saying it "could". The Base has done 11.5 while the standard ZL1 has done 11.4. So it is possible that the ZL1 can manage a win against a Base GT500. Remember, the 500 is affected more by conditions than the ZL1"

Anyone calling him out generally gets the ban hammer. That forum is terrible for no other reason than the setup of the forum software. :thumbsdown:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Anyone calling him out generally gets the ban hammer. That forum is terrible for no other reason than the setup of the forum software. :thumbsdown:
Yup, and none of the locals call him out on his drivel.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The GT500 is breaking hearts for sure. I never understood why some people get so obsessed with one car brand or model. It's like life or death for some of these guys. I may never own a GT500, but it's really impressing me. Especially when you read the comments that the handling and feel and DCT is right up there with Porsche GT3. I care way more about that than a few tenths of a second on a drag strip (obviously others may feel differently). We have Camissa praising the car and one of the head writers at MotroTrend saying it is the best overall sportscars on the market.

Say what you want but Ford delivered.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
The GT500 is breaking hearts for sure. I never understood why some people get so obsessed with one car brand or model. It's like life or death for some of these guys. I may never own a GT500, but it's really impressing me. Especially when you read the comments that the handling and feel and DCT is right up there with Porsche GT3. I care way more about that than a few tenths of a second on a drag strip (obviously others may feel differently). We have Camissa praising the car and one of the head writers at MotroTrend saying it is the best overall sportscars on the market.

Say what you want but Ford delivered.
Yup. I had faith from the start (or rather, I took the info ford was doling out seriously) but most "Car guys" were NOT expecting the GT500's performance to be THIS good.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

People do call him out. They usually get banned for picking on him!:angel: Ask me how I know. But I’ll never let his famous quotes die. He claimed he did 180+ on a road course. :wink:And also claimed he tried to run an 11.9ET in an automatic ZL1 on purpose. If he’d just admit he’s a magazine racer with no practical skills. You could just laugh him off as another fanboy like hotlap.

Last edited: