Sponsored

Drag race: GT350 vs. Challenger Hellcat

asphal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Yea I know it's not apples to apples and not what the GT350 was designd for. Still fun to watch tho :thumbsup:

Hellcat Challenger 147 MPH vs Shelby GT350 142 MPH , both stock.

[ame]

Why would anybody pit a Dodge Challenger Hellcat against a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350? Such a battle doesn't make any sense, right? Wrong. By now, we should've all learned that people in the drag racing community love to throw apples and oranges at each other and we're here to give you just that.

The two slabs of America got together on an airfield runway, with a half-mile trap speed challenge awaiting the muscle machines. Perhaps the only fair side of this battle saw the Mopar vehicle joining the Shelby in its manual tranny quest.

However, the rest of the details that accompanied the fight come from oddball land. For one thing, it seems like the Hellcat driver is short-shifting.

One explanation for that would be that the man was aiming to avoid wheelspin and the fuelling of the overpowered myths being built around his Challenger. And yet the man's straight line driving doesn't seem to make all that much sense.

For instance, it's enough to check out the numbers to be a bit confused. According to the YouTube description of the clip, the SRT hit 147 mph (that's 237 km/h for all you reading this across the pond), while the 'Stang stopped at 142 mph (229 km/h).

Oh well, at least the aural side of this muscle experiment is simpler. Sure, people will always take sides, so we'll have those who are hypnotized by the blower whine and the camp that lives to count the revs the flat-plane crank Mustang can deliver once it passes the 8,000 rpm point.

And yet we can all agree on the fact that the contrasting duet delivered by the pair of V8s is a clear sign of the fact that, at least in automotive terms, America is great again. The show is ready to go on behind the "play" button below.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/d...0-is-an-apple-to-orange-drag-race-105169.html
Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Hellcat Challenger - 4400lbs @ 707hp = 6.22 pounds per hp.
Mustang GT350 - 3750lbs @ 526hp = 7.13 pounds per hp.

The GT350 would need around 75hp to match the Hellcat's power:weight ratio (~6.22).

I was expecting the Hellcat to pull a few more cars, I guess better aero and the GT350's powerband helps out quite a bit.

Cool video. Thanks for posting.

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
It sounds like the Hellcat was short-shifting, especially on 2nd and 3rd gear.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Is it me, or does it seem like these cars weren't really going all out? :shrug:
Especially the Hellcat.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
It sounds like the Hellcat was short-shifting, especially on 2nd and 3rd gear.
Agreed, I believe the hellcat was short shifting. Saw this vid yesterday on SVTP, the Hellcat also has a passenger.

Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
After rewatching it the shifts do sound a bit early on the Hellcat. I figured it should have done better.

Still, though, considering its track prowess, the GT350 does very well in straight acceleration applications considering its price.

It's certainly an all around performer.

Cashcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG GT S, S550, Camaro
The sound of these machines together is intoxicating. What a treat.
Sponsored