Drag brakes on Street Cars

tris_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 MUSTANG
Just wanted to put out the question or some insight for any guys who are running race brakes on the street and what your experience has been like with them?

I just put on TBM front/rears and haven’t gotten out for a drive with them yet.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Just wanted to put out the question or some insight for any guys who are running race brakes on the street and what your experience has been like with them?

I just put on TBM front/rears and haven’t gotten out for a drive with them yet.
What's your definition of "race brakes"???

I ask because real race brakes wouldn't work on the street, they'd never get hot enough.

OP
OP
tris_s550

tris_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 MUSTANG
What's your definition of "race brakes"???

I ask because real race brakes wouldn't work on the street, they'd never get hot enough.
From my perspective, being more on the street than track, I’m considering more or less people who decide to run Baer, tbm, aerospace, etc. as a form of “race brake”. I’ll attach a pic below of what my rears look like.

I understand there’s pretty serious setups for the strip, TBM makes only a specific set for the s550s and it’s considered a drag racing set.
It’s just a general question from an experience standpoint, I’ve just gotten pretty serious with getting my car Mexico ready as I’m down here in Texas.

5EEEDB00-F043-4471-94A6-898C7D22A04B.jpeg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Drag racing brakes are meant to stop once then have to cool, on the street you will fade them to the point they will not stop you. If all you do is freeway driving they might work. Twisty roads, forget about it.

Road racing brakes are the opposite and will not get hot enough to work properly. They will spark be noisy and eat rotors.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
From my perspective, being more on the street than track, I’m considering more or less people who decide to run Baer, tbm, aerospace, etc. as a form of “race brake”. I’ll attach a pic below of what my rears look like.

I understand there’s pretty serious setups for the strip, TBM makes only a specific set for the s550s and it’s considered a drag racing set.
It’s just a general question from an experience standpoint, I’ve just gotten pretty serious with getting my car Mexico ready as I’m down here in Texas.

Oh, you mean some sort of "drag" brake.

Absolutely ridiculous, dangerous, and a bad decision for the street. Also a serious amount of legal liability exposure.

Maybe get some extra insurance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Rears are probably ok for short drives.
I would never run front drag brakes on the street.

Same with harnesses without a HANS.

OP
OP
tris_s550

tris_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 MUSTANG
Rears are probably ok for short drives.
I would never run front drag brakes on the street.

Same with harnesses without a HANS.
The goal was just to receive some feedback.

I think the most driving I would do is drive it to work/grocery store or to a meet.

A harness without HANS compatibility is just stupid too.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Using drag breaks on a street car is being absolutely irresponsible. You’re putting not just your life but those around you at stake. There’s a reason they are meant for the drag strip. They are not meant to be used in an environment of constant breaking over and over again. I hope that this was a joke.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Using drag breaks on a street car is being absolutely irresponsible. You’re putting not just your life but those around you at stake. There’s a reason they are meant for the drag strip. They are not meant to be used in an environment of constant breaking over and over again. I hope that this was a joke.
It's really hard to not be very harsh about this.........and I think this statement is as diplomatic as can be expressed on this topic.

Seriously OP, put the OE brakes back on.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Ditto, ditto, ditto. If you're hitting the streets at all in that car;—no matter how "short" of a drive, have street brakes on.

Not race brakes. Not drag brakes. Street brakes. OE or OE spec brakes are made for public roads, anything otherwise is both stupid and irresponsible.

I'd even go further against what was said earlier;—do not risk a freeway trip on drag brakes, and again, have all four corners on streets if you're hitting public roads. Slamming into someone because you swapped your brakes out for a set sold for off-road use only, is not going to be recoverable.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah good luck with those motorcycle brakes w/ 3800lbs to stop on the street in an emergency. Yer ABS will scream 'phuk this I'm out'.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I run the Baer SS4 2.0 front/rear (12” non-drilled) on the street. I don’t live in the city, drive around like a jockey, and I don’t put more than 300 miles per month on the car. I leave plenty of stopping distance out of habit. They stop BETTER than OEM when applied, but like mentioned, it’s not something you want to brake heavily and continuously over and over. They are an amazing quality design and when respected, can work fine for driving with responsibility.
Between TBM, Aerospace and the Baer SS4 setups, the Baer SS4 is the only one I think is OK for average driving on the street.

IMG_5756.jpeg

OP
OP
tris_s550

tris_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 MUSTANG
I run the Baer SS4 2.0 front/rear (12” non-drilled) on the street. I don’t live in the city, drive around like a jockey, and I don’t put more than 300 miles per month on the car. I leave plenty of stopping distance out of habit. They stop BETTER than OEM when applied, but like mentioned, it’s not something you want to brake heavily and continuously over and over. They are an amazing quality design and when respected, can work fine for driving with responsibility.
Between TBM, Aerospace and the Baer SS4 setups, the Baer SS4 is the only one I think is OK for average driving on the street.

IMG_5756.jpeg
Appreciate the input! I’ve heard a lot of good things about the baers, I just chose the TBMs because of the way they look on the car.

My car doesn’t see the street much as it is, it’s a built motor TT setup and that summer heat is on the way. I know what responsibilities come with switching to this type of brake, and appreciate you reiterating those. Overall it’s just to see improvement at the track

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Looks great if you're into flowers or pinwheels... :giggle:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Appreciate the input! I’ve heard a lot of good things about the baers, I just chose the TBMs because of the way they look on the car.

My car doesn’t see the street much as it is, it’s a built motor TT setup and that summer heat is on the way. I know what responsibilities come with switching to this type of brake, and appreciate you reiterating those. Overall it’s just to see improvement at the track
The TBM drag brakes look killer on your car. Just curious as to whether you can get street pads for them to use when you’re driving on the street?

Are your trap speeds really high?
Sponsored