Downloading the Mysterious "Black Box"

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Several had expressed interest in how to get the data out of the Black Box... so here goes:
Equipment
The equipment is not terribly expensive, but not cheap enough for the hobbiest - the kits range anywhere from $5000 to $25,000. The array of cables needed to go directly to the module is where the costs really begin to add up. Bosch supports the majority of the vehicles:
https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/cdr/sites/cdr/files/CDR_v17.6_Vehicle_Coverage_List_R1_0_0.pdf
The vehicles which do not appear on the list require the user to buy the software and hardware from the manufacturer. For example, KIA and Hyundai each have their own kits and they are around $6000 each with a $1000 annual license fee for each.
Downloading
There are three ways access the data.
1. Through the OBD port, 2. directly to the EDR module, and 3. Backpowering through the fuse block.
Through the ODB port is the easiest way IF the vehicle has power and is not heavily damaged.

a.jpg

Here I have the Bosch interface module attached to a laptop and attached to the OBD port. Some vehicles need to have the key in the ignition in the accessory position, and some do not. There are a lot of special circumstances, but the help file in the software provides plenty of info. If the vehicle is damaged and there is no connection between the OBD port - the fuse block - and the EDR module, then you will not be able to use this method... you will need to go directly to the EDR module.
Going directly to the EDR module has its pitfalls however. First you have to get to it:

c.jpg

d.jpg

The EDR module is the silver box in the center of the photo with the yellow connection. I believe yellow connectors are reserved for the airbag system only. The other pitfall of going directly to the EDR module is that there is a chance to overwrite the most recent non-deployment event if one is saved. If the module is dropped or bumped while powered up during data collection, it can set a new event. The module MUST be clamped to a surface to prevent setting a new event. Additionally, once the power is removed from the module, it must remained clamped for several minutes in order to completely discharge.

b.jpg

I am aware of two instances where someone has placed a jump box on the battery of a wrecked vehicle and discovered a short in the system and let the factory smoke out. The problem is the amount of amperage the jump box provides. On a wrecked vehicle, the safest way is to back power through the fuse block. You provide the required 12 volts to the air bag fuse using 8 AA batteries... the minimal amperage will not let the factory smoke out in the event of shorted wiring.
Here is a back power set up:

y.JPG

The red arrow indicates the Bosch interface module, the yellow circle shows the AA battery pack, and the red circle denotes the wire attached to one of the fuse legs. The leg with the higher resistance is the one that needs the power.
Different manufacturers have different names for their air bag systems. I have seen "Airbag", "SRS", "SIR", "SDM" and a few others. Some have two airbag fuses, one labeled "ignition" and one labeled "battery". Most manufacturers have the airbag fuse(s) in the cabin, a few have them in the engine compartment. The fuse cover is not always available on a wrecked vehicle... but due to Plaintiff Lawyers, every owners manual is required to be available online as soon as the vehicle is available for purchase.
The fuse cover was available for the vehicle shown above:

f.JPG

g.jpg
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I guess this answers the question of can any responding officer to an accident download the data. When my ATS was t-boned, I asked the cop to download my data when the perp claimed I was going so fast he didn't see me until he hit me. The cop just laughed and said he could tell that's not true and it's a open/shut case. He didn't say he couldn't. Or maybe there wasn't anything to download since it didn't pop any air bags in my car. He popped all of them in his BMW, curiously including the unoccupied passenger front.

OP
OP
dpAtlanta

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
The question of who owns the data and who can access the data has been well debated. I can only speak from my experiences.
I have had folks contact me and request that I download their data... it doesn't happen often, but it's my understanding that all need is their permission.
It gets more complicated after an accident. After the accident, the insurance companies will typically send your vehicle to either Copart or IAA if the vehicle is totaled. These are insurance holding lots located throughout the US. The insurance company now owns the vehicle if it is totaled. If they ask me to download the black box, all I need is permission from the Insurance company.
The police who arrive on an accident scene do not typically carry the equipment to download a black box on request, and I don't believe they would on request while working a scene. I have seen numerous times where there was a fatality and the police acquired a Search Warrant in order to get the data... this usually occurs days to weeks after a fatality or potential fatality.
If you get into an accident, don't have insurance, and it's fully paid off... you definitely own the data.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The question of who owns the data and who can access the data has been well debated. I can only speak from my experiences.
I have had folks contact me and request that I download their data... it doesn't happen often, but it's my understanding that all need is their permission.
It gets more complicated after an accident. After the accident, the insurance companies will typically send your vehicle to either Copart or IAA if the vehicle is totaled. These are insurance holding lots located throughout the US. The insurance company now owns the vehicle if it is totaled. If they ask me to download the black box, all I need is permission from the Insurance company.
The police who arrive on an accident scene do not typically carry the equipment to download a black box on request, and I don't believe they would on request while working a scene. I have seen numerous times where there was a fatality and the police acquired a Search Warrant in order to get the data... this usually occurs days to weeks after a fatality or potential fatality.
If you get into an accident, don't have insurance, and it's fully paid off... you definitely own the data.
I would think if you owned your vehicle outright, whether you had insurance or not, you would own the data.?.?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I would think if you owned your vehicle outright, whether you had insurance or not, you would own the data.?.?
If insurance can demand it, I suspect its only because there are words in the policy.
Sponsored