Double pumping brakes after new fluid and pads

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Vacuum did not work. I used a pressure bleeder: Sealey VS820 Brake and Clutch Bleeding System. An alternative would be the Motive Power Bleeder.
Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
OP
OP

sunfigt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guelo
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium PP
Thanks! I am going to buy on of them for sure, just don't want to buy until I know more about the ABS bleeding procedure. I am still trying to find information on it. Not sure how it really works.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Thanks! I am going to buy on of them for sure, just don't want to buy until I know more about the ABS bleeding procedure. I am still trying to find information on it. Not sure how it really works.
First you get the air out of your brake system.

Then you start the procedure with ForScan and follow the instructions on the screen. Basically you press and release the brake pedal as instructed.

Finally you get the remaining air out of the brake system.

Hope this helps a bit.

OP
OP

sunfigt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guelo
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium PP
It does, now I just need to find someone with ForScan in my area. ;)

Sponsored

Saleen308

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I have a Harbor Freight bleeder similar to that. I wonder if it would do just as well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

I also read that this Autel scanner has an ABS bleed function but, I'm trying to confirm it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...IEKNO&linkId=2942b02e73e3d05eb0136a1f3e8c7aad

UPDATE: Autel said it won't work and I would have to buy their MX808

Last edited:

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Vacuum bleeding is not as good as pressure bleeding. Seals in the cylinders are not designed to prevent leaks from vacuum, and consequently can let air in past the lip. Dunno about the s550, but pressure bleeding is generally better, and reverse pressure bleeding also is usually very effective.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Just some notes from the service manual:
Bleed sequence is: right rear, left rear, right front, left front.
If you have 4 or 6 piston front calipers, they have 2 bleed screws on each caliper, bleed the inner bleeder first, then the outer bleeder.
On the rear calipers, apply and release the parking brake 5 times, bleed, repeat, until no air.
The ABS unit (HCU) must be bled if a new unit has been installed, along with a second pressure bleed.
These are from the shop manual, hope it may help someone......

bananafonez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt shadow black
2 bleed screws on each front caliper... I missed that part. .. hope that's my issue. Thanks for that info!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you have 4 or 6 piston front calipers, they have 2 bleed screws on each caliper, bleed the inner bleeder first, then the outer bleeder.
On the rear calipers, apply and release the parking brake 5 times, bleed, repeat, until no air.
The ABS unit (HCU) must be bled if a new unit has been installed, along with a second pressure bleed.
Good stuff. I didn't have the inner/outer order for the calipers or the rear parking brake bits.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sunfigt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guelo
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium PP
This is good info :hail: I will follow this procedure on sunday. I'm gonna buy the pressure bleeding apparatus if I can. But if not, I will still do the normal pedal pumping. I also, did not touched the parking brake last time.

I wonder if the parking brake takes the place of pumping the pedal on the rear calipers... :confused: ????

Last edited:

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
I've had the OP's issue on every ABS car I've owned. Without the "special" tool you have to engage the ABS a couple of times so the old fluid is replaced with the new. Then bleed, and go out again. I always remove as much old fluid from the reservoir as possible before adding new stuff so old/new don't mix as bad.

In any event, there will be some pedal travel before the brakes catch the first few times because when installing new pads, you have to push/rotate the pistons back into the caliper. Also, if new rotors are used, many times they are coated to prevent rust. until bedded, the pads don't grip very well until that coating is rubbed off.

Last edited:

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I thought the parking brake was mechanical and separate from from the fluid system
Depends on which brake system you have. The GT350 has a separate system using small drum type shoes for the parking brake. Most of the others use a mechanism in the rear caliper to extend the piston when the parking brake is set. (At least, based on what I've seen in the service manual....)

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So with the scan tool do I still need to use my motive bleeder?
Sponsored