Door Weatherstrip unreal

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
On my 2019 Bullitt the drivers door side weatherstripping on the body is deformed at the corner near the side quarter window. Took to the dealer body shop figuring an easy fix just replace weatherstrip. Was I wrong, dealer said they would do it but explained if it was theirs they would just leave it as it does not leak. The b panel interior trim must be removed, the quarter panel window must be removed and replaced with another one, the chrome trim over the drivers side removed and a new one put on. A lot of unnecessary work for a design by Ford.
Sponsored

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
Minor issues like this I leave well alone, the dealer will do more damage repairing it, even new cars aren’t 100% perfect

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
Minor issues like this I leave well alone, the dealer will do more damage repairing it, even new cars aren’t 100% perfect
I agree as well. A buddy of mine had MK7 GTI and the strip was deformed on the sunroof. No leaks. He took it to fix it his car has been leaking ever since and they did more damage than good.

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
That is exactly what the body shop said, not leaking then leave it, too much chance in the repair to have problems. But what a way to engineer what should be easy replacement. If weatherstrip had to be replaced out of warranty probably be $1500+ as the quarter window alone for part is $800+, crazy design.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any pics of the bad section?

The reason I ask is, if this is the same rubber gasket I’m thinking about, I had to have it replaced on my prior 2016 S550, same side (driver). The rear 1/4 window did not need to be removed at all. The gasket was replaced under warranty. It was not leaking air or water, but was severely distorted at the top corner.

—-

Now on a separate note - the same car, driver side, the rear 1/4 window had to be replaced because the outer rubber trim was badly rippled where it met the roof line. Ford denied the initial warranty submission, until the Service Writer sent better pics showing the issue clearly and the word “distortion” was added to the claim. Ford did authorize replacement on 2nd attempt and the Service Center had an outside contractor do the job since their body shop was overbooked with other vehicle repairs. Could never tell it was replaced.

Sponsored

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Any pics of the bad section?

The reason I ask is, if this is the same rubber gasket I’m thinking about, I had to have it replaced on my prior 2016 S550, same side (driver). The rear 1/4 window did not need to be removed at all. The gasket was replaced under warranty. It was not leaking air or water, but was severely distorted at the top corner.

—-

Now on a separate note - the same car, driver side, the rear 1/4 window had to be replaced because the outer rubber trim was badly rippled where it met the roof line. Ford denied the initial warranty submission, until the Service Writer sent better pics showing the issue clearly and the word “distortion” was added to the claim. Ford did authorize replacement on 2nd attempt and the Service Center had an outside contractor do the job since their body shop was overbooked with other vehicle repairs. Could never tell it was replaced.
Will post picture later, let me know if the same when I do. On my previous S550 GT had both rear 1/4 windows replaced for the same rippling distortion pulling away from better, soft rubber loses its form. The replacement on one side was doing the same when I traded for the Bullitt. They told me they see a few see a few like that. They had a glass installer do it.

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Here are 3 outside pictures and one inside picture at the drivers door. Dealer body shop says upper chrome trim to come off and be replaced and rear 1/4 side window removed a replaced with a new one. No leaks or wind noise yet so might not do it yet. What is your take?
DDF7AC12-8BB7-4174-A903-20619E19A7DB.jpeg
9F2A934F-EDE9-4122-991C-C44F1D5F2B07.jpeg
57760563-C1AB-4F5E-9FCF-2BAF07E96084.jpeg
2514ECA8-4754-4AB5-8262-DE86A4C6B1E9.jpeg

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I had a maxima where there was TSB for a misaligned trunk lid. It was only a cosmetic problem, I should have ignored it. The fix was worse than the problem

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here are 3 outside pictures and one inside picture at the drivers door. Dealer body shop says upper chrome trim to come off and be replaced and rear 1/4 side window removed a replaced with a new one. No leaks or wind noise yet so might not do it yet. What is your take?
DDF7AC12-8BB7-4174-A903-20619E19A7DB.jpeg
9F2A934F-EDE9-4122-991C-C44F1D5F2B07.jpeg
57760563-C1AB-4F5E-9FCF-2BAF07E96084.jpeg
2514ECA8-4754-4AB5-8262-DE86A4C6B1E9.jpeg

Yep - that is the gasket. Mine was very distorted at the top corner, worse than yours. The front part of the corner was actually squished and folded under. The Service Center tried to heat it to see if they could get the distortion fixed so it would lay better but they couldn’t not do anything with it.

That gasket was totally replaced on my 2016 and as far as I know they did not need to remove the rear 1/4 glass at all - because my gasket was replaced way before the rear 1/4 glass was replaced on the same side. It’s possible the Service Writer is not aware of how that gasket is seated on the body.

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Yep - that is the gasket. Mine was very distorted at the top corner, worse than yours. The front part of the corner was actually squished and folded under. The Service Center tried to heat it to see if they could get the distortion fixed so it would lay better but they couldn’t not do anything with it.

That gasket was totally replaced on my 2016 and as far as I know they did not need to remove the rear 1/4 glass at all - because my gasket was replaced way before the rear 1/4 glass was replaced on the same side. It’s possible the Service Writer is not aware of how that gasket is seated on the body.
The service dept sent it to the body shop and the mgr and foreman both said 1/4 window and chrome trim over the door had to be removed and replaced. It looks like it is tucked under the 1/4 window
Sponsored