Sponsored

Door panel not fitted right, warranty covered?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Call me Mr. Not-Obvious but after having my GT for about 5 months just noticed the passenger door panel sits about 1.5" away from the actual door. It's like either it was removed and put back on sloppy or happened at the factory. I have the Ford Extended warranty anyone think I have the dealer fix it for me? I need to get an oil filter for changes someday anyway.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Very common. Some people on the Flat Rock assembly line apparently have issues putting doors on correctly and evidently the quality control people were on break as usual when it happens. Sad how poor the quality control is on the Mustangs. Ironically Ford does a much better QC job on every other vehicle. There must be some issue at Flat Rock that allows this to continue for YEARS. Show some pics when you get a chance.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Very common. Some people on the Flat Rock assembly line have issues putting doors on correctly and evidently the quality control people were on break as usual when it happens. Sad how poor the quality control is on the Mustangs. Ironically Ford does a much better QC job on every other vehicle. There must be some issue at Flat Rock that allows this to continue for YEARS.
I've heard this before here too. Yes I love my GT, very much but that's pretty lame. fwiwi my trunk lid is also slightly misaligned on the left, like <= 1/8". Might bring that up too.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There were cars assembled so poorly in the beginning of S550 production that they were actually bought back by Ford. Now it seems pretty isolated to;
Doors-could be either side misalignment. Some to the point of rubbing paint.
Tail lights- Part misalignment either side
Trunks
And hoods.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
If I can get my local dealer to fix the door, maybe the trunk I'll go back to completely loving the GT. Can't believe I didn't see that gap sooner (Homer head slap), DOH. I have a neighbor/friend that works at a Nissan dealer part of large local auto network says their Ford is a good place to get Mustangs worked on. I trust this guy being a friend and the guy they always hand all the "too tough for me" jobs to at his place.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get it. The car is great. Completely love it.
But I’m also very disappointed for that same reason, that Ford doesn’t seem to take it seriously enough to improve the QC in assembly. Don’t beat yourself up. It’s easy to miss because your overwhelmed when you get one of these great cars. It also bothers me because I’m big into buying American, so when I see our people letting this quality go to exports and enthusiasts it bugs me.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I get it. The car is great. Completely love it.
But I’m also very disappointed for that same reason, that Ford doesn’t seem to take it seriously enough to improve the QC in assembly. Don’t beat yourself up. It’s easy to miss because your overwhelmed when you get one of these great cars. It also bothers me because I’m big into buying American, so when I see our people letting this quality go to exports and enthusiasts it bugs me.
Maybe they are saving QC for the S650?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Yep, on my car, with the premier trim package to boot, the insert above the armrest is not quite tight at the trailing end. I was loathe to take it into the dealer and have some junior make something worse, so I've lived with it. In retirement (shortly), and not driving much if at all in winter, I will probably remove the door panel myself and see what can be done with it. My trunk lid also sits a touch low at the left front and I may see about fixing that myself as well. Otherwise my car was screwed together fairly well and the panel gaps around the rest of the car aren't too bad, for a Mustang.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Ah ha! Another trunk deck misaligned, must be a regular thing. As long as that Coyote 5.0 is solid and the Automatic trans, suspension doing good that's most important overall.

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Ah ha! Another trunk deck misaligned, must be a regular thing. As long as that Coyote 5.0 is solid and the Automatic trans, suspension doing good that's most important overall.
My trunk lid was mis-aligned too. I found out the hard way after it chipped the paint. I guess I’ll have to go check my door panels now.
Sponsored