Sponsored

Door dings, neighbours, my 350 and me

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Good luck managing your car's condition but at least your covered. I lived on a boat for 20 years and there was no covered parking at my marina. I had a C6 Corvette that sat out in the elements for three years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Good luck managing your car's condition but at least your covered. I lived on a boat for 20 years and there was no covered parking at my marina. I had a C6 Corvette that sat out in the elements for three years.
Thanks for the good wishes :cheers:

How did the C6 hold up? Any major damage for being exposed to the elements or were you able to counter it with a nice wax, car cover or something?

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Thanks for the good wishes :cheers:

How did the C6 hold up? Any major damage for being exposed to the elements or were you able to counter it with a nice wax, car cover or something?
I used a cover for a while but then if it rained during the night I had a wet car cover to deal with so I abandoned the practice. In every other manner the C6 did fine. I never had any cosmetic issues with it aside from the morning dew I'd have to wipe off before I left for work.

This is a pic of the parking area, I took this sideways pic when I put it up for sale. It held up really well.

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I used a cover for a while but then if it rained during the night I had a wet car cover to deal with so I abandoned the practice. In every other manner the C6 did fine. I never had any cosmetic issues with it aside from the morning dew I'd have to wipe off before I left for work.
Nice! My biggest concern about non-covered parking would be hail. I'd get really paranoid every time it rained, hoping it doesn't turn into a hail storm lol :headbonk:

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Nice! My biggest concern about non-covered parking would be hail. I'd get really paranoid every time it rained, hoping it doesn't turn into a hail storm lol :headbonk:
Now hail is something I'm very concerned about right now. Because of the downturn in the energy markets they closed the downtown Houston office with our parking garage, and moved us to a plant out in Sugar Land where we now park outside. Hail and damaging winds are a real concern out here so I try and watch the weather.

Fortunately I'm not alone. Lots of young guys with good paying jobs down here I'm one of the cheaper cars in the parking lot. So if it's looking dicey we drive over to Town Center and have a soda.

Sponsored

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
3, 2 & 5 in that order. Either that or move to a place where you can get garage parking.

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
3, 2 & 5 in that order. Either that or move to a place where you can get garage parking.
You think a cover would protect better against door dings than the door protectors? I've never used car covers because over time they could speed up how fast swirls start reappearing, that's why I'm really ignorant on how sturdy the covers are.

Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup:

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
You think a cover would protect better against door dings than the door protectors? I've never used car covers because over time they could speed up how fast swirls start reappearing, that's why I'm really ignorant on how sturdy the covers are.

Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup:
Could you modify a quality car cover? Insert additional material (foam) along the sides to add thickness? Maybe have a furniture shop stitch some padding in?

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Could you modify a quality car cover? Insert additional material (foam) along the sides to add thickness? Maybe have a furniture shop stitch some padding in?
This is actually a very good idea! I will give it a further thought to see if the padding can be inserted without making it to difficult to put on/remove the cover each time :thumbsup:

It is really cool reading all your suggestions and ideas! :cool:

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would think for long term parking when you don't move it for days, do the padded car cover idea; when you drive it daily, just hope for the best and try to make friends with your neighbors.
If you are a friendly guy, there are less chances for people to take revenge on you and your car...
I am sure in Chile too, people don't damage cars in purpose; but by accident. that kid trying to get out of an SUV, and smashing the door on your car.
Good luck.

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I would think for long term parking when you don't move it for days, do the padded car cover idea; when you drive it daily, just hope for the best and try to make friends with your neighbors.
If you are a friendly guy, there are less chances for people to take revenge on you and your car...
I am sure in Chile too, people don't damage cars in purpose; but by accident. that kid trying to get out of an SUV, and smashing the door on your car.
Good luck.
Good point. Before the Mustang when I drove my Wrangler I had a guy with a jet black Mini Cooper introduce himself to me as my parking garage neighbor. I always pay attention to cars parked next to him but the move made me definitely take notice of him.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm in a condo with covered parking. I have the highest end coverking car cover which I really like.

One side of my car has a 2 foot wide pole that I park about an inch away from and the car next to me is a c class amg. She's pretty respectful of my car as I am of her car.

I fold in my mirror as well.

So far the cover was the best thing I got for the situation.

I've considered swapping spots with someone as well which wouldn't be hard. Just leave a note on the car, most people are reasonable.

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Good luck.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Given it is my weekend car, it would keep it protected most of the time.

Totally agree, usually door dings is not people being malicious, it is just they dont pay much attention.

Good point. Before the Mustang when I drove my Wrangler I had a guy with a jet black Mini Cooper introduce himself to me as my parking garage neighbor. I always pay attention to cars parked next to him but the move made me definitely take notice of him.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll totally make sure to introduce myself to the neighbour... heck, if he/she is into cars maybe I can give him/her a short spirited ride on the 350 :cheers:
If we know something with certainty about the voodoo engine is that it does not fail to impress and it gives a lasting impression lol! :ford:

I'm in a condo with covered parking. I have the highest end coverking car cover which I really like.

One side of my car has a 2 foot wide pole that I park about an inch away from and the car next to me is a c class amg. She's pretty respectful of my car as I am of her car.

I fold in my mirror as well.

So far the cover was the best thing I got for the situation.

I've considered swapping spots with someone as well which wouldn't be hard. Just leave a note on the car, most people are reasonable.
Yeah, I was wondering the best way to contact the corner spot owners... a friendly note with something like the below should do the job, right?

"Hey negihbour! I hope you're well! We haven't met yet, but I'm Luis, your neighbour from spot 33, and would love to ask you something. Maybe shoot me a whatsapp? My number is XXXX. Thanks"
Sponsored