Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
REAL TALK... You're doing it wrong.

The fact that you own a GT350 are renting an apartment tells me you're doing something wrong.
:tsk: Not sure we needed unsolicited life advice in this thread.

To OP, I use a dash cam with parking recording that has blue lights when in parking mode. I've found that most people notice these lights, see the camera, realize its on and then act accordingly. Might be a good option for you. The other options like car covers + doorshox seem like a bit of a hassle and don't work when you are parking away from your apartment. The dash cam is good for when you need to file an insurance claim.

All that said, trading with someone that has an end spot seems like the best option!
Sponsored

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

The fact that you own a GT350 are renting an apartment tells me you're doing something wrong.

Cars are cool, but owning your own pad should be priority ONE, TWO AND THREE.

My advise (you asked)... Sell the car and buy a condo. In a few short years your condo should appreciate to the point you'll be able to afford to buy a house. WITH A GARAGE. A few years later, you'll be able to put your new ShelbyGt650 IN YOUR GARAGE! Where they should go!!
Thanks for the advice man, but I believe we approach life differently and I think you are jumping quite fast into conclusions regarding my financial situation.

I rather live in a condo because I love living in the central part of the city, where houses are virtually non-existant. I like having restaurants, bars and work close. Hell, I walk 15 min to the office everyday and I LOVE it.

Also, I'm quite fond of "living small" so I personally don't value big spaces much, since I consider that the money that goes into having those additional square meters is kind of "frozen" money that I'd rather have making a profit for me in an investment (i.e. another appartment or investment fund).

For this reason, a house (bigger space) does not makes sense to me, since I value location (condo) more.

We already own 2 appartments that together are of similar value than the one we are renting. However the income generated by our two smaller appartments is higher than the rent we will have to pay, simply because (at least here in Chile) small appartments tend to have better return on investment than bigger ones (and also small ones are easier to rent and your investment is diversified).

I agree that prioirty one should be having something of your own (when it comes to housing), which we have already covered :thumbsup: but I disagree that the best place to live is one of your own. Sometimes is better to pay a rent and have that money making a bigger return on investment instead.

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
:tsk: Not sure we needed unsolicited life advice in this thread.

To OP, I use a dash cam with parking recording that has blue lights when in parking mode. I've found that most people notice these lights, see the camera, realize its on and then act accordingly. Might be a good option for you. The other options like car covers + doorshox seem like a bit of a hassle and don't work when you are parking away from your apartment. The dash cam is good for when you need to file an insurance claim.

All that said, trading with someone that has an end spot seems like the best option!
Thanks man! yeah, I've been wanting to get a camera installed, but I haven't really got into investigating the different kinds of dash cams, installation, etc.

This might be a good momento to do so lol

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua

Cars are cool, but owning your own pad should be priority ONE, TWO AND THREE.

My advise (you asked)... Sell the car and buy a condo. In a few short years your condo should appreciate to the point you'll be able to afford to buy a house. WITH A GARAGE. A few years later, you'll be able to put your new ShelbyGt650 IN YOUR GARAGE! Where they should go!!
When a person starts off their opinion by saying "real talk" you know to immediately ignore everything that follows.

OP don't rely on people's generosity or parking manners - they will destroy your car at some point, you need to bribe your way into the corner spot. Also off topic but fact that you own a GT350 in Chile alone tells me you are in better financial shape than 90% of this forum.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
3, ish. All day long. You would be surprised what one can accomplish with honesty and some nice respectful dialog. Sure it may not work but it doesn't hurt to try it.

3) Just in front of my parking space, there are two slots that are between walls/large pillars (ding free spaces!). I was thinking of contacting the owners of such parking spaces and proposing a switch with mine? I'm thinking of offering to pay a fair monthly fee for the exchange. However I'm concerned this could be frowned upon by the complex administration or other neighbours. Also, the neighbours could always say "NO" and I'm back to square one lol

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't think there is a good option. People don't care. Some are even spiteful. Good luck.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Not only do you have to deal with potential damage from people, but what about the elements? I know this won't be one of your options but me personally I would not be able to own a car like this if I did not have a garage for it.

10) Sell car and buy again when a garage is obtainable.

or...

11) Live inside car.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I look for rental property with an appropriate garage space as a major priority. I don't know about Chile but in Houston I can find good garage space with minimal compromise on other features. Definitely covered is my first priority then assigned space with only one exposed side is my second.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
just take your chances. If you get door dings, then ask the apartment to re-assign you a spot.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Some people dont like parking in between pillars. The are more concerned with hitting the pillars and not someone denting tgeir door. They may trade just to get away from a bad spot.

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My opinion is that the best option is to just realize that any car will get door dings and other wear and tear. If you really hate that, rent a solo garage space somewhere other than your apartment - since you don't need the car daily to get to work.

OP
OP
88mph

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
When a person starts off their opinion by saying "real talk" you know to immediately ignore everything that follows.

OP don't rely on people's generosity or parking manners - they will destroy your car at some point, you need to bribe your way into the corner spot. Also off topic but fact that you own a GT350 in Chile alone tells me you are in better financial shape than 90% of this forum.
Thanks man! I will do my best to get that corner spot!

I'm sorry.

I was in an asshole mood when I write the that. A troll-ish asshole.
I am an asshole. Just not most of the time.
No problem man! Your point of view is valid, just not necessarily applicable to everyone ;)

Not only do you have to deal with potential damage from people, but what about the elements? I know this won't be one of your options but me personally I would not be able to own a car like this if I did not have a garage for it.

10) Sell car and buy again when a garage is obtainable.

or...

11) Live inside car.
Lol! The garage is underground, so no problem against the elements... only against the human element (lol bad joke)

I look for rental property with an appropriate garage space as a major priority. I don't know about Chile but in Houston I can find good garage space with minimal compromise on other features. Definitely covered is my first priority then assigned space with only one exposed side is my second.
I tried really hard to get something like that, but location for me is priority one then parking spot second, and there's nothing available right now in this location with a nice parking spot. Also, this apartment checks all the boxes for the misus, which is also important for me. Sometimes you just gotta give up on some things in life, and IMO risking a couple door dings is not that bad in the big picture of life lol... but that does not mean I'll just stand with my arms crossed and will rather try to do something about it, within the reach of my possibilities of course.

I love my car, but I love my lifestyle more lol

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it was already hard enough to find a nice, well located place where I do not scrape my front splitter upon entry or exit. For some reason Chileans love to build ramps and driveways with ridiculous angles lol

https://www.ebay.com/i/271927050617?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I kind of skimmed this thread so if it wasn't already submitted try these. They are not secure so I wouldn't use them in a parking lot but in residential or office parking for sure.
Thanks! Nice find! These ones look like they protect better than the ones I linked in the first post!

Some people dont like parking in between pillars. The are more concerned with hitting the pillars and not someone denting tgeir door. They may trade just to get away from a bad spot.
Good point! Never really thought about it like that!

Just came across this

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...aylens-secure360-dashcam-security-camera-auto

First 360 degree dash cam I've ever seen - most everything out there is front and some rear.

Looks like it comes out this November.
Wow! This looks really good! Hopefully it comes to Chile!

My opinion is that the best option is to just realize that any car will get door dings and other wear and tear. If you really hate that, rent a solo garage space somewhere other than your apartment - since you don't need the car daily to get to work.
I agree to a certain point... like I mentioned above, I am actually giving up on parking space on this new apartment because as you say, a car will get door dings and wear and tear. But I'm the kind of person that prefers to try and do something about it (even if I fail in the end) than just stand there defeated from the start. If I can't get the corner spot, the door protectors and/or anything else does not work, then my car will get a couple door dings and it will just be part of life. But believe me, making this thread has been fun, and you guys have given some really nice ideas and points of view that I really appreciate! Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Last edited: