Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
2016 GT, 17xxx miles. I've had this rattle since day one, and attempts to repair it have only made it worse. It was intermittent and quiet before, but now is a very noisy constant buzz/rattle either made worse as the car moves and with any use of the stereo (especially if I try to drown it out.).

if I press on the circled area hard, I can at least dampen it and reduce it significantly (until going over bumps).

zJUQPKn.jpg

There is a harness on a christmas-tree type fastener there near the top of the door panel. I did try wrapping it in foam to see if that would help.

The dealer has not been able to fix it, anyone have ideas? I can either burn down the car for my sanity, I've pulled the door panel myself and looked for any sign of rubbing, and I've gone wild with flocking tape.

If I could just solve a few of these rattles, I'd really enjoy this car. :frusty:
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Try playing certain frequencies through the speakers while the door panel is on/off and it should help you track down where its coming from exactly.

If you have an Android phone there's an app called Favorite Frequencies that will do this, I'm sure iPhones offer something similar. Usually between 30-100hz will bring out the rattles.

Or bring it to a different dealer.

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
I took the door apart again and went wild with flocking tape and foam. I wrapped all the harness connectors, and added it to all the clip points on the door panel along with flocking the areas that seemed to be where the noise came from.

Its gone. Now just the 2 quarter panels to go, and the 4-5 dash rattles (and shifter). This was the worst though, and the one thing that made me want to trade the car in at massive loss just for my sanity.

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I’m with you, squeeks, creeks and rattles drive me crazy and this car is the worst. If I could find something else I like in the same price range this thing would be gone.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Besides performing all the normal things most do to stop NVH, I've added using silicone dielectric grease to my tricks. Anytime I have a panel or part removed for whatever I smear a little silicone grease on the pieces where they'll contact when refastened. It's cut down on a lot of the plastic tick noises. Just my thought, but I feel that as most plastic pieces have release agents on them from the mold, that's why car interiors are quiet when you buy them. However, as the car ages and the release agent disappears now it's just dry plastic on metal rubbing together.

Sponsored

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Call me old and old fashioned (which I Am) but I don’t think you should have to tear a brand new car apart to fix rattles etc.I wouldn’t trust the dealer to try and fix these problems under warranty. This is the first “American” car I’ve bought in decades and I’m not impressed. Maybe I was lucky but I never had these issues with my previous jap cars.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Call me old and old fashioned (which I Am) but I don’t think you should have to tear a brand new car apart to fix rattles etc.I wouldn’t trust the dealer to try and fix these problems under warranty. This is the first “American” car I’ve bought in decades and I’m not impressed. Maybe I was lucky but I never had these issues with my previous jap cars.
Amen to beware of dealers. My '78 T/A WS6 had a squeak in the dash. So the future AZ Gov' (Mecham owned a Pontiac dealership) had them remove and reinstall the fenders and hood! That didn't work (duh!). I mentioned it wasn't as bad in cold weather. Got the car back this time with no squeak for the moment but no air out of one vent. They had removed the vent's hose inside the dash and directed it toward the area they had figured out was squeaking.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Amen to beware of dealers. My '78 T/A WS6 had a squeak in the dash.
Funny you should mention 78 TA dash squeak. Years ago I had a 77 TA with a dash noise. Turned out it was the rubber trim strip that seals the hood to the firewall was somewhat dry. The dealer lubed it with a weather stripping paste and the noise magically disappeared.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I took the door apart again and went wild with flocking tape and foam. I wrapped all the harness connectors, and added it to all the clip points on the door panel along with flocking the areas that seemed to be where the noise came from.

Its gone. Now just the 2 quarter panels to go, and the 4-5 dash rattles (and shifter). This was the worst though, and the one thing that made me want to trade the car in at massive loss just for my sanity.
Hey there, I'm hoping you can give me some direction or advice on what exactly you did inside your door panel to finally stop the buzzing/rattle. I have buzzing that's coming from the corner of the door panel where the tiny red doorlock lightbulb is (all the way left from your red circle in your posted picture) or maybe it's coming from the same spot but the sound is traveling? Either way, my buzzing definitely sounds like it's coming from BEHIND my head from the corner. I've taken apart the door panel once but it persists. Clearly you've taped/foamed certain things very well to stop the noise. Care to fill me in on what you did? Thanks.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is one area where Ford still needs to get their #$%& together, at least on the Mustang. My 2018 has low miles, but it still has developed more rattles and buzzes than my 2011 did, esp. from the C-pillar and back seat area.

Not too long ago I had to rent a Nissan Rogue for a few days--it drove like a wet noodle, but I immediately noticed the lack of rattles and squeaks compared to my car. And Nissan isn't one of the better imports.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You need a louder exhaust my friend.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
This is one area where Ford still needs to get their #$%& together, at least on the Mustang. My 2018 has low miles, but it still has developed more rattles and buzzes than my 2011 did, esp. from the C-pillar and back seat area.

Not too long ago I had to rent a Nissan Rogue for a few days--it drove like a wet noodle, but I immediately noticed the lack of rattles and squeaks compared to my car. And Nissan isn't one of the better imports.
yea I'm still impressed by my old 2010 Honda Accord that is still without a single rattle or buzz inside, super quiet.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Agreed, but it CAN block out the sound of any rattles or squeaks. :like:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra