Don’t use Royal purple (gen3 coyote)

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
Mannn I pulled the trigger and said screw it I’m gonna use royal purple in my 21 GT …. Well I never had the bbq tick until now. 2 days later I switched back to mobile 1 and the tick went away. Don’t know why it did it but royal purple made my shit sound like it was blowing up
Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Mannn I pulled the trigger and said screw it I’m gonna use royal purple in my 21 GT …. Well I never had the bbq tick until now. 2 days later I switched back to mobile 1 and the tick went away. Don’t know why it did it but royal purple made my shit sound like it was blowing up
I tell you what - this BBQ tick is a strange thing...because on mine, Royal Purple quieted it way down, and within a couple weeks, it went away completely.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Mine ticked with factory fill after 3500mi, Mobile 1 made it worse but Ceratec solved problem, Castrol Edge was slightly better than Mobile 1...Penzoil Ultra Platinum and no tick now. Sticking with PUP!

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
My tick was dependent on the oil level. Half way on the dipstick (checked cold) gave me the tick. That's right where it would be, using two 5 qt jugs, after a new filter + prefilling filter and dumping the remaining oil in the fill cap.

If I poured a little bit more in to get it about 3/4th of the way on the dipstick (checked cold) the tick would go away and stay away. I always knew I had burned a little bit of oil if I heard the tick when pulling into my garage.

It didn't matter what oil I used. Pennzoil platinum, motorcraft, valvoline... 5w20 initially and then 5w30 for the rest of its life.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Kind of seems like the brand oil doesn’t necessarily correlate to a quiet or noisy engine. I guess whatever you find that works, stick with it. As mentioned, Ford has said the tick is normal for this engine. While I personally feel like there is a reason for it, and in a perfect scenario it shouldn’t be making the noise, it also doesn’t seem like something that’s overly detrimental. Anyway, I did my first oil change around 2,000 mi, now I’m a bit over 4,000. I’m using Amsoil and my engine sounds good.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My 19 coupe was silent (Motorcraft Synthetic) but my 19 convertible has the tick (Motorcraft) but I bought it with 6k miles on it so I don't know what Sam Galloway used it but my gut sez the cheaper stuff

Next change I’ll go full synthetic and hope it goes away, I hate the tick and when I first drove it home it was quiet but when it hit about 8500 miles the tick started

Sponsored

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
I got the tick at 1K miles on my GT after the dealership added the Motorcraft synthetic blend (it was free, and cheaper for them). After 200 miles, I drained that synthetic blend out, and swapped it for Motorcraft full synthetic and the tick went away. I know people have done this before, and the tick didn’t go away. Thankfully it did for me after second oil change.

Weeee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, Mach E GT
Mine started ticking after my first oil change. Full motor-craft synthetic. I think the working theory of an assembly lube washing away is correct. I'm going to change up the oil brands to see if it helps.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I had the tick after switching to Mobil 1, go figure. Rotella T6 greatly reduced it to almost nothing. Might have to try Royal Purple...

This thread seems to be a great example of "your mileage may vary".
Rotella T6 is the GOAT.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I haven't heard a peep outta my Mach yet and that's all I've been running in it since I've dropped oil. Will be doing my 2nd oil change pretty quick when spring hits and I think I still plan on staying with it.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
RP is great, just don't get the HMX formulated with robust zinc / phosphorus additives. That's hard on your cats, I think it's meant for older motors.
Sponsored